May 25, 2007 2:54:09 PM

i have the following config:
pentium d805 @3500mhz\175mhz fsb\ 1,4v
asus p5wd2 on 955x
geforce 8800gts
kingston mars 715mhz@cl3@2,2v
2 hdds, 1dvdrw
solytech 500w psu with 2x12v rails having 18A each, fittted with 2x8cm coolers
thermalright xp-120 cooler with performance antec fan(>2000rpm)
additional 8 cm and 9 cm case fans

my idle cpu temp @ 2000mhz (underclocked with Clockgen) is 54 degrees C reached in 15 mins after i start my pc. the case is neatly organised however, and there is no plausible explanation for this overheat. In full load overclocked my cpu is stable(3dmark 2006 &prime95) but it reaches an alarming 83 degrees C.

what could be the causes of this? i have a friend with a similar config, excepting 7600 gt and stock cooling, but @ 3,1 ghz still has this 80 degrees overheat in full load.
I purchased the pc late august 2007. Initially, it performed well. I reapplied thermal paste and cleaning operations, tried more fans with no success.

what could be the cause of this?
Initially i had a 7600gs instead of the current 8800gts(and the problem persisted), thus i do not really suspect the psu.
Any help would be appreciated as i found little arround this topic.

update1: after doing a couple of things the new full load temp is 71degrees C, still off the limits.

More about : pentium d805 hot hell

May 25, 2007 3:19:04 PM

Didn't mention what kind of heat sink your using.

I would generally suspect the HSF for 775 socket is not installed correctly using the 4 pins. If they are not locked down, and if you don't see the 4 pins on the back side of the MB, the HSF will not have good contact with the top of the CPU.
May 25, 2007 3:51:01 PM

Its a crap version, even by Pentium D standards. They are hot at stock speeds, and any overclock will pump out even more heat.
Related resources
May 25, 2007 3:53:30 PM

1) the heatsink is not installed correctly
2) CPU sensor is messing up

because even with the stock HSF , it should not be idling at 54°, check yuor instalation again.

also i notice the voltage is a little bit high, i have the same cpu with a gygabite p965 ds4 and the voltage is ONLY 1.35v even if i overclock it to 3.6ghz, now may be i'm luck with my cpu reaching this high clock without touching the voltage but i bet that your cpu can do at least 3.00 ghz with just 1.35v.

a change in the voltage will decrease considerably the temperature, let me know if you done something about that.
May 25, 2007 3:57:45 PM

Quote:
Its a crap version, even by Pentium D standards. They are hot at stock speeds, and any overclock will pump out even more heat.

that is definitly not true, mine temperature with a zalman 9500 in a somehwat hot room, doesn't exceed 58°C in FULL LOAD using prime for exemple, in normal load situations it's around 51° , and that is overclcocked at 3.6ghz.

idle temp right now is between 37 -41° up and down.
May 25, 2007 3:59:36 PM

Quote:

that is definitly not true, mine temperature with a zalman 9500 in a somehwat hot room, doesn't exceed 58°C in FULL LOAD using prime for exemple, in normal load situations it's around 51° , and that is overclcocked at 3.6ghz.

idle temp right now is between 37 -41° up and down.

And to me, that seems pretty hot, considering my x2 3800 at stock was high 20's low 30's at idle, stock, with the zalman. Idle at 2.7 was 33, and at load it was 43-45 max.
May 25, 2007 4:09:27 PM

the OP said that in load he reach 85° which is definitly crazy. you answered him that d805 are hot anyway (implying that his temps are common with those cpu's) and making it as fact.

i also said that my room is somewhat hot, that is 30C.

i remember in winter it was idling at 26-27 , load 32. but it was damn cold.

anyway, the point is, his temps are way way hot than what it should be and it doesn't have anything to do with D805 series. as i suggested , try to lower the voltage cpu to 1.35V , mine works perefctly with this value (3.6hz)
May 25, 2007 4:21:44 PM

When I read the subject I immediately thought to myself "DUH!"
May 25, 2007 4:23:05 PM

Quote:
the OP said that in load he reach 85° which is definitly crazy. you answered him that d805 are hot anyway (implying that his temps are common with those cpu's) and making it as fact.

anyway, the point is, his temps are way way hot than what it should be and it doesn't have anything to do with D805 series. as i suggested , try to lower the voltage cpu to 1.35V , mine works perefctly with this value (3.6hz)

Fair enough. He probably doesn't have enough fans and like you said, didn't seat the heatsink properly.
May 25, 2007 4:27:20 PM

Check out if the cooler is mounted properly. Also be sure that there is thermal grease properly applied to the CPU. If everything is OK, than it might be the mainboard reading false temperatures. 83'C is too hot even for Pentium D.
May 25, 2007 4:29:35 PM

Quote:

I have a friend with a Pentium D 805 at 3.7ghz cooled with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. His CPU idles at 40ish and loads around 55.

I would try to redo the HSF with some fresh new paste.

When the CPU is at 80 feel the base of the HSF. Sensors and programs are ofter wrong.... 80 degrees should be pretty warm, thats what my old X800GT loads at
a c 309 à CPUs
May 25, 2007 4:32:15 PM

You have a hot type of processor, and a high powered vga card, exascerbated by overclocking. I am not surprised. Above 75(?) degrees, the cpu should throtttle itself to protect itself, negating the value of overclocking. What can you do?
See if the internal case temperatures are ok; I suspect they are high. Measure them with a multimeter probe if you can, along with the ambient room temperature. See what happens if you run with the side panel off, and a house fan directed at the internals of the case. If temperatures come down to normal, then you need to work on case ventilation. If they do not, then it is likely that your cooler is not seated properly, or is defective.
May 25, 2007 4:52:51 PM

Quote:

i was thinking he was using the stock Heatsink....
May 25, 2007 5:16:03 PM

unfortunately some of you missed the point.
i invested quite a lot in case\cpu cooling and i am not using stock cooling. furthermore, i think i do know how to properly mount a heatsink (even fined the surface with thin sandpaper), that being the reason why i doublechecked the thermal conductivity and reapplying paste and cleaning of the dust.
Therefore i have a dust-free ventilated system that overheats (fortunately not to the point of instability, but i cannot oc it @ 3,8 ghz anymore as i could initially).
Even so, bad heatsink mounting does not explain why my friend has the same problem with stock cooler @ 3,1 ghz (which you have to be inherently stupid to missmount), while originally he could easily overclock his pc @ 3,2 ghz with full load temperature of 71 degrees, which is acceptable for stock cooling and for this kind of processor.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_core...

as a side note, the mb sensor is not wrong as i measured case temperature near cpu and i got a fair measure of 56 degrees. go figure.
at 3,6 ghz thermal monitor throttles, but not at 3,5.
cpu is unstable if i decrease voltage
May 25, 2007 5:46:12 PM

overclocking pentium d's are generally hot imo. i tried to use mine with a aerocool heatsink, overclocked at 3.6 1.575v, idles at around 50s, by the time it reaches above 70c i panic.
May 25, 2007 6:21:40 PM

Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking.

@OP: Do as other people have suggested and try lowering your core voltage. Also as other people have suggested try feeling the heat sink or at least try putting your hand near it to see if it feels like its crazy hot so that you can rule out a bad temperature sensor. It doesn't accomplish anything if you ask for help and then don't do what people suggest.

-mcg
May 25, 2007 6:24:46 PM

We really needed a thread for sombody that thought their Heatburst chip was too hot when they overclocked it. DUH, thats why it was called Heatburst instead of Netburst.
May 25, 2007 6:45:28 PM

Quote:
I purchased the pc late august 2007.

Of COURSE!! You're in an alternate timeline from the future where Intel is still making lousy products! :roll: If I assume you meant 2006 I don't understand why you went with such an antiquated (and as you have discovered) hot-running CPU. Instead you could have spent a bit more on a more modern (but still overclockable) CPU that would run much cooler. meh

-mcg
May 25, 2007 7:05:01 PM

Quote:

Of COURSE!! You're in an alternate timeline from the future where Intel is still making lousy products! :roll: If I assume you meant 2006 I don't understand why you went with such an antiquated (and as you have discovered) hot-running CPU. Instead you could have spent a bit more on a more modern (but still overclockable) CPU that would run much cooler. meh

-mcgWhy are all you knobs just giving the guy grief over which CPU he bought? Just answer the question, if you don't know the answer....move on. Jeezus!! It may be a Smithfield, but it still shouldn't be hitting 85C with an XP-120 on it. :x :x
May 25, 2007 7:07:11 PM

lowering voltage has no effect (decreasing two degrees in idele, but still too hot). while operating, i can barely insert my hand in the case, not even touch the heatsink.
besides,it is properly attached (just dismounted it, placed thermal paste and put it back for the second time this day) as there is only one way to place this monster http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7945/mounted10is.jpg, and it implies a lot of brute force if you ask me. (thermalright xp 120, if you haven't read above, also with the socketT adapter which can't be clearly seen in the picture)

so, my base question still remain unanswered: what could cause an increase in cpu heating over a 6months period?.
to cover up: thermal sensors are not defective (my dm doesn't have a thermal probe, but i can assure you you can't put your hand in the case while under full load)
the heatsink is securely fastened, contact surface neatly polished with fine sandpaper (1200) and properly greased with thermal paste
casually cleaning the dust from the pc case
the system has an above-aveage air-flow

and please, i would like too see more original responses as the obvious "netburst sucks\poor cooling" is not an option.

Pardon so if it is my fault, but i have just tested the stock cooler at standard parameters(impling stock fsb and voltages), and in idle i have a temperature of 59 degrees and on full load(prime95 with affinities) i get a crash.
I am thinking i might as well throw this piece of junk to the trashcan. Why hasn't this overclock lasted for even half an year, and not only in my case, puzzles me.
May 25, 2007 8:38:34 PM

Check your heatsink and ventilation, then ALWAYS confirm your temp readings by touching the heatsink fins with your hand (load your CPU with 2 sessions of Prime and when the temp. tops out, turn it off and touch the heatsink); 80°C is something pretty unbearable to the touch.
May 25, 2007 9:41:52 PM

i was thinking about the voltage , but then you said it only decreased 2 degrees. i still don't understand what do you mean by "i can't get my hand in the case" why??? it sounds weird.

i thought may be the HSF is deffective but then you tried the orginial heat sink and it's worse.

i don't think the problem is PSU otherwise it would make many poroblems not only ofr the CPu, the motherboard and the cpu itself might be the problem.

but really why would a cpu jump so high in temp by itself?

may be the motherboard makes it to heat a lot ??

man i'm out of clue, if i were you it'll drive me crazy. and i certainly hope it's not because of overclocking as mine is at 3.5ghz right now and i don't it to become like yours. please let us know in that matter.
May 25, 2007 9:48:19 PM

Quote:
so, my base question still remain unanswered: what could cause an increase in cpu heating over a 6months period?.

Your over heating is a result of either:
Insufficient Heat Removal or Excessive Heat Generation

Insufficient Heat Removal
Case ventilation
Heatsink seating
Heatpipe failure
Fan failure

Excessive Heat Generation
Clock speed changed?
Memory added?
GPU replaced?
Additional Drives?
Internal Lights?
Capacitor degradation?

Since you said you can't hold your hand inside the case and the pain limit for contact with hot surfaces is around 140F (60C) it would appear the internal ambient temperature is the problem as a 25C rise for an overclocked CPU under load isn't that big of a deal so our CPU heat generation and extraction appears to be ok we can drop the following.
Heatsink seating
Heatpipe failure
Fan failure
Clock speed changed
Capacitor degradation

As a check put a meat thermomoeter into your case and get a couple temp readings at various places to get an idea of what the internal temp actually is at load If you are actually down around 100F then you can't drop the possible CPU issues.

What is left is easy stuff additional parts or case ventilation as likely cause.

I assume you'd know what you added so lets focus on the I didn't do anything except take it apart put it back together and put it back on the desk. Ok so did you put it back exactly in the same place and which direction was that fan before?

Test your case ventilation I expect you have lots of air but it isn't going to the right places. Start by looking at the seams of the case you should have a slight negative pressure with all the fans operating this can best be found with a thin plasic film like Saran Wrap. Check each fan to assure it has proper airflow direction top, and back out front, bottom, and/or side in.

Many of the GPU's rob cool air from the bottom of the case before it can reach the cpu area and expel the air resulting in additional negative pressure which reduces the fan efficiency of all the exhaust case fans.

Measure the room ambient, exhaust air pressure of each fan, and the inlet temperature of each inlet fan this will identify if you are recirculating exhaust air back into the machine.

Edit: Sorry can't resist, Netburst really did suck :p 
May 25, 2007 9:54:44 PM

can overclocking cus the cpu to fail AND generate this excessive heat? me i don't think so...

as for not being able to put your hand in the case or you can berely put it , do you have a case or an oven?? i don't think that the cpu will release this excessive heat (what could ?? ) , as the above poster suggest, check your airflow, that ambient case room sound awfuly hot... i really wanna know the answer of what causing this problem.
May 25, 2007 10:26:25 PM

Quote:

-mcgWhy are all you knobs just giving the guy grief over which CPU he bought? Just answer the question, if you don't know the answer....move on. Jeezus!! It may be a Smithfield, but it still shouldn't be hitting 85C with an XP-120 on it. :x :xBecause the 805 D is a steaming pile of 90nm Netburst sh!t in comparison to the chips Intel now makes.
May 25, 2007 10:57:08 PM

I just read one of the OP's posts that alarms me. :lol: 

You said you sanded the heatsink smooth, but, it should already be smoother than hand sanding could accomplish. Perhaps you fukced your HS? :lol: 

If not, the try running the damn thing at stock and tell us the temps.
May 25, 2007 11:29:36 PM

yeah, if you lapped your cpu, the heat spreader might not be leveled. that causes poor contact to the heatsink thus giving you bad temps.
May 26, 2007 3:32:47 AM

Quote:
yeah, if you lapped your cpu, the heat spreader might not be leveled. that causes poor contact to the heatsink thus giving you bad temps.

WOW nice temps on your PD man... good job.

I wonder how a 4ghz PD performs compared to my 2.7ghz K8...
May 26, 2007 3:33:02 AM

Quote:
...Because the 805 D is a steaming pile of 90nm Netburst sh!t in comparison to the chips Intel now makes.

This seems like a strange statement to make, given that the only other CPUs that Intel now makes that sell for $60 or less are single-core Pentiums and Celerons. :wink:

BE seems to have the OP's problem covered.
May 26, 2007 7:30:53 AM

Quote:

WOW nice temps on your PD man... good job.

I wonder how a 4ghz PD performs compared to my 2.7ghz K8...

according to sandra benches

Processor Arithmetic
Dhrystone ALU : 17003 MIPS
Whetstone iSSE3 : 14031 MFLOPS

Processor Multimedia
Integer x8 iSSE2 : 43347 it/s
Float x4 iSSE2 : 49618 it/s

Multi-Core Efficiency
Inter-Core Bandwidth : 1560 MB/s
Inter-Core Latency : 161 ns

and for MrCommunistGen
i bought my pd 805 last week of december 2006, i chose this as im waiting for quads to go down price wise. im very proud of my decision and not wallowing in what ifs. and oh yeah, we basically have the same processor.

for Heyyou27, imHo i think you are afraid to be criticized for having such weak system. or are you at a internet cafe overcompensating by talking shit.
May 26, 2007 9:16:28 AM

i would like to thank for some of you, especially BaldEagle for the bunch of backtracking like troubleshooting.
Yes, i am aware netburst sucks, but the discussion was no need to degenerate into this direction. The problem was unbeleivably minor, and quite unexpected. I did find that most reviewers said that the Thermalright paste is quite generic, but i didn't expect it to be so low quality. Even with fresh new paste applied, it didn't work for me.
So, i grabbed the first silver paste i could find and voila! i now have 70 degrees C in full load @ 3,8 ghz which i find acceptable, that including the ultrahot geforce 8800gts. Not to mention that while idling the cpu has 28 degrees...
May 26, 2007 1:45:10 PM

Quote:
...Because the 805 D is a steaming pile of 90nm Netburst sh!t in comparison to the chips Intel now makes.

This seems like a strange statement to make, given that the only other CPUs that Intel now makes that sell for $60 or less are single-core Pentiums and Celerons. :wink:

I just bought an 805 on NewEgg for 59.99 with free shipping. Why? Because I have an Engineering sample 3.2 prescott in my sons computer and with the MB my choices are 90nm Smithfield processors.

I don't plan to OC it much if any because slow is slow no matter how fast you clock it. Anyway, it will be Dual Core and keep us warm in the winter.

Now go ahead and flame me for buying the processor and call me a noob and such. I do not fear a pack of nerds turning on me. :lol: 
May 26, 2007 7:10:46 PM

Perhaps you meant to address your reply to heyyou27 rather than me?
May 26, 2007 7:42:37 PM

Quote:

I just bought an 805 on NewEgg for 59.99 with free shipping. Why? Because I have an Engineering sample 3.2 prescott in my sons computer and with the MB my choices are 90nm Smithfield processors.

I don't plan to OC it much if any because slow is slow no matter how fast you clock it. Anyway, it will be Dual Core and keep us warm in the winter.

Now go ahead and flame me for buying the processor and call me a noob and such. I do not fear a pack of nerds turning on me. :lol: If you already have the board and don't want to spend any more, it's an okay deal. However at $59.99 the Pentium D 805 is only $10 cheaper than the Athlon X2 3600+ which would walk all over that chip at stock or overclocked while using a lot less power.
May 26, 2007 11:15:21 PM

Quote:
shhhh 8O If you tell them that and they stop buying new pc's based on the 805 we cant call them idiots anymore.

10 bux more and it clocks as high as 3.1ghz. MMMMMMMMMorrrrrrrrrrrrronnnnnnnnnnnns :p  Some folks just have to think of the blue men when they game :roll:

Where did they OP say he wasn't upgrading an existing system? Where did the OP say he bought a new system? Where did the OP say that this processor was even bought and not given to him?

Why the hell are people giving the OP shit because he asked a question about a processor? Do people have to explain how and why they got the processor they have and hope for acceptance by the forum choosen ones?

Think people, you are geeks and supposed to be smart.
May 27, 2007 6:05:22 AM

Quote:

Now go ahead and flame me for buying the processor and call me a noob and such. I do not fear a pack of nerds turning on me. :lol: 

That's fine for an upgrade. I wouldn't overclock it though. I had an ASUS board with a Via chipset die on my son's PC, so I bought a used Emachines 2.7 Celeron (Northwood) for the same price as a new motherboard. It works for a 6 year old. He won't notice the loss of the Radeon 9600 in Reader Rabbit because the PCI Radeon 9200 does fine.

I'll probably see if I can put the 2.4 Northwood P4 into the Emachines (I'll e-mail their dreck support first to see if it's a supported CPU), and then I can get a socket 939 3800+ CPU and board and reuse the DDR 333 and the Radeon 9600 Pro. I do admit, that when I built a new PC, I went for a barebones and AMD over a Fry's bundle and a Smithfield.

Now, Fry's has ECS mobos with Via chipsets supporting AGP and DDR bundled with a C2D, which would be an option to reuse the old RAM and graphics, but I'd be tempted to have that replace my second PC, the trusty old 2.8 Northwood with an i865PERL.

I do dislike Via chipsets though, compared to ATI, Nvidia or Intel. At any rate, I never felt that overclocking a hot processor was worth it. My X2 3800+ runs cool and I've thought of overclocking it, but it has stock cooling and it's not like much out there really needs an overclocked dual core.
May 27, 2007 1:32:49 PM

Quote:
Point taken. :o 
The 805 was all the rage before AMD dropped the 3600 x2 so low.
Mostly because it was the only highly affordable dual core in a single core dominated world; at the time, the main way to benefit from it was multitasking and singlethreaded performance left much to be desired. Now that I am thinking about it; the 805 is actually the only dual core to be seriously challenged by a single core in multithreaded apps :lol: 
May 27, 2007 4:06:32 PM

point being what? New cpu's are just that,, NEW! Meaning advanced architexture, new design concept, ext. The P-D was top in it's time, just like the P-2 back in 97. Now it's the NEWLY advanced quad cores. The fact bieng that in comparison older cpu's are less productive than NEW cpu's is irrelevant. He has a heat problem, not a cpu problem.
May 27, 2007 7:01:47 PM

Quote:
point being what? New cpu's are just that,, NEW! Meaning advanced architexture, new design concept, ext. The P-D was top in it's time, just like the P-2 back in 97. Now it's the NEWLY advanced quad cores. The fact bieng that in comparison older cpu's are less productive than NEW cpu's is irrelevant. He has a heat problem, not a cpu problem.

1-PentiumDs have never been the top of their time; the X2s wiped the floor with them from the beginning.
2-The FX-57 is is a contemporary, if not older CPU than the 805.
and, 3- The P2 was a total failure, often matched by K-6s and even K-5s and celerons while being priced 2x-3x higher.
May 27, 2007 9:32:29 PM

I think the 805 was the top CPU in Price/Performance and Overclocking when it was released. Even if it wasn't I get his point. I have never seen somebody jumped for asking a question like this OP was, the forum must be going to hell or something.

I think that AMDs slow release of new tech. has a few people on edge, either that or we have been envaded by Ass-hats. :cry: 
May 29, 2007 2:09:57 PM

In conclusion, what's the flaw in a decently designed system, with lots of aircooling and slick airflow, more-than-decent-cpucooler and well maintaned?
My full load temp has never gone below 69 degrees C, and this is illogical, given the following situation and respecting common sense practice.

And there is no shame in accepting that you do not know the answer; trolling and debating on reckless blabber is highly unecessary on this forum. Perhaps I wouldn't have been asking for help in this oh-so-estoeric matter if this wasn't one of the world's largest hardware forums; there are a significant number of people who do have this temps, but do not bother at all. I invested a fair amount of money to ensure this isn't the case, therefore the classy 'n00b!' approach lacks substance.

For those really wanting to question my decision, amd x2 3600+\3400+ hadn't appeared in my country on the time being, and the upcoming e6300 would've been way outside my pocket range, as i really needed a new pc. Furthermore, judging that most of the high cpu usage would be used in media, as far as i'm concerned, Intel seemed a better choice as it does have the performance edge there. I chose the compromise between efficiency and price, and i do not fully regret it. However, I did expect that mid-high end products would work well outside the box. For similar configurations, one ought to expect a mere max of 58 degrees in full load @3,6 ghz (in lab conditions=no case) for instance. Despite this, all my efforts have failed to lower the temperature of this rig, and the sensors are reading correct, providing that you didn't waste your time reading the 'invaluable' advice previously encountered.

If you feel you do have to add something significantly different to this thread please do, as any other help would be embraced, otherwise I suggest you would do some research before posting.
May 29, 2007 2:22:53 PM

Quote:
i would like to thank for some of you, especially BaldEagle for the bunch of backtracking like troubleshooting.
Yes, i am aware netburst sucks, but the discussion was no need to degenerate into this direction. The problem was unbeleivably minor, and quite unexpected. I did find that most reviewers said that the Thermalright paste is quite generic, but i didn't expect it to be so low quality. Even with fresh new paste applied, it didn't work for me.
So, i grabbed the first silver paste i could find and voila! i now have 70 degrees C in full load @ 3,8 ghz which i find acceptable, that including the ultrahot geforce 8800gts. Not to mention that while idling the cpu has 28 degrees...

Glad to help.
Vern, has a point the longevity even at 70C might be a problem however, by the time you smoke your CPU you'll probably be ready to pitch it anyway. As you may have heard already the 805D is an outdated processor so have at it and run it until it won't keep up (I would expect 2 years) or until it croaks.
May 29, 2007 2:44:48 PM

I have cpu and vga water cooling with a 10" automotive 12 volt fan on one side and a louvered case. may seem a little extensive, however my temps never exceed 51celcius on full load playing FEAR, and thats OC'ed to 3.6 24/7.on idle it hovers between 37c and 42c. I think if my temp monitors read anything above 65c I would have paicked and shut her down. After reading about some temps being 85c with cpu and vga water cooling, I just sat back and giggled to myself and said, "YEEAAH!" bieng heat concious pays off. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 
May 29, 2007 3:10:18 PM

Quote:

Hey, it's your money... just don't blame us when your house burns down.
May 30, 2007 6:15:59 PM

Quote:

i bought my pd 805 last week of december 2006, i chose this as im waiting for quads to go down price wise. im very proud of my decision and not wallowing in what ifs. and oh yeah, we basically have the same processor.

That is a VERY valid reason. I guess that I just assumed that since you were overclocking the hell out of the processor that you were intending to keep it. I know that I don't have any advice that hasn't already been stated in a better way than I could so I'll just wish you good luck.

-mcg
May 30, 2007 6:49:03 PM

yeah jst get a decent CPU cooler if your gonna OC, like a zalman CNPS 7700 Cu
May 30, 2007 7:30:42 PM

Quote:
yeah jst get a decent CPU cooler if your gonna OC, like a zalman CNPS 7700 Cu

Come now, we all know that the PD's require liquid nitrogen to remain at reasonable temps. :lol: 
May 30, 2007 8:28:47 PM

85*C 8O im suprised it was running. the sodder that holds the heatspreader to the cpu melts around 90*C and can be removed at that temp! thats only 5*C away from physically melting sodder!
May 30, 2007 9:27:47 PM

Thats right! Some say it melts around 85-90C.

So what happend maybe is that it overheated once (due to wrongly seated hs or fan failure or whatever), the solder melted, poured away and when it solidified again it didnt make contact between the core and the heatspreader.

You could try removing the heatspreader alltogether (e.g. with hot air gun) and installing the heatsink the old-fashioned way, on naked core (like in atholnXP and pIII)
Some links:
http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=3878
http://www.overclock3d.net/articles.php?type=3&id=46&pa...
!