Task Manager Duplications

Hello, during the later part of the day, I check my email, and a message says
that the number of applications has reached it's limits....

When I open the task manager, I find the biggest culprit is Outlook.exe with
as many as 20 entries all taking cpu mem usage. In addition to that there are
other dupications like, SVCHost.exe 3 entries all for the same user (system)
2 entries for the (network service) and 1 for the (local service)

Do delete the older Outlook.exe entries (to view a new one) I have to delete
each one individually......

Is there something wrong with my setup?
Using XP Home Ed, Sp2 (Recent rebuild)

Many thanks,

Russ

--
Russell C, retired
6 answers Last reply

    Russell wrote:
    > Hello, during the later part of the day, I check my email, and a message says
    > that the number of applications has reached it's limits....
    >
    > When I open the task manager, I find the biggest culprit is Outlook.exe with
    > as many as 20 entries all taking cpu mem usage. In addition to that there are
    > other dupications like, SVCHost.exe 3 entries all for the same user (system)
    > 2 entries for the (network service) and 1 for the (local service)
    >
    > Do delete the older Outlook.exe entries (to view a new one) I have to delete
    > each one individually......
    >
    > Is there something wrong with my setup?
    > Using XP Home Ed, Sp2 (Recent rebuild)
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Russ

    You didn't mention if you run an up to date antivirus
    and some sort of spyware detector. If not you're very
    likely infected with a virus,worm or trojan or some sort
    of spyware.

    gls858

    Hi gls858
    I have McAfee running well, and Microsoft beta anti spyware running as well.

    Russ:)

    --
    Russell C, retired

    Russell wrote:
    > Hi gls858
    > I have McAfee running well, and Microsoft beta anti spyware running as well.
    >
    > Russ:)

    Are you sure that the process name is SVCHost or is it SVCHOST
    notice the difference in capitalization. SVCHOST will be running
    multiple times. If it's actually displayed differently you could have
    a problem with a virus. I don't think Outlook should have more than one
    process running maybe some one else will know for sure. Try going
    to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and do a scan. It's free. Maybe
    something slipped through.

    gls858

    Hi Again, yes they are all caps on the SVCHOST. Am up to 28 Outlooks so far
    today.
    Will use that site, thanks
    --
    Russell C, retired

    Russell wrote:
    > Hi Again, yes they are all caps on the SVCHOST. Am up to 28 Outlooks so far
    > today.
    > Will use that site, thanks
    Is that 28 instances under the processes tab or the Applications
    tab? I can open multiple instances of Outlook but I still only
    have one process running but the Apps tab shows both instances.

    gls858

    Hi you two folks; I have less mem with my rebuild...act 512 mb with 1152
    virtual

    The Outlooks build up in the Task Manager processes list only (26). Only one
    shows on the desktop. If I reboot, then it reduces back to zero. Maybe it is
    because I am online all the time and it check my server frequently for email?

    Yes I use Word as my editor (like to use English proper for spelling)

    Russ :)
    --
    Russell C, retired

    "gls858" wrote:

    > Russell wrote:
    > > Hi Again, yes they are all caps on the SVCHOST. Am up to 28 Outlooks so far
    > > today.
    > > Will use that site, thanks
    > Is that 28 instances under the processes tab or the Applications
    > tab? I can open multiple instances of Outlook but I still only
    > have one process running but the Apps tab shows both instances.
    >
    > gls858

Task Manager Windows XP