Task Manager Duplications

May 25, 2005 2:52:01 PM

Hello, during the later part of the day, I check my email, and a message says
that the number of applications has reached it's limits....

When I open the task manager, I find the biggest culprit is Outlook.exe with
as many as 20 entries all taking cpu mem usage. In addition to that there are
other dupications like, SVCHost.exe 3 entries all for the same user (system)
2 entries for the (network service) and 1 for the (local service)

Do delete the older Outlook.exe entries (to view a new one) I have to delete
each one individually......

Is there something wrong with my setup?
Using XP Home Ed, Sp2 (Recent rebuild)

Many thanks,

Russ

--
Russell C, retired

More about : task manager duplications

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 5:21:21 PM

Russell wrote:
> Hello, during the later part of the day, I check my email, and a message says
> that the number of applications has reached it's limits....
>
> When I open the task manager, I find the biggest culprit is Outlook.exe with
> as many as 20 entries all taking cpu mem usage. In addition to that there are
> other dupications like, SVCHost.exe 3 entries all for the same user (system)
> 2 entries for the (network service) and 1 for the (local service)
>
> Do delete the older Outlook.exe entries (to view a new one) I have to delete
> each one individually......
>
> Is there something wrong with my setup?
> Using XP Home Ed, Sp2 (Recent rebuild)
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Russ

You didn't mention if you run an up to date antivirus
and some sort of spyware detector. If not you're very
likely infected with a virus,worm or trojan or some sort
of spyware.

gls858
May 25, 2005 5:21:22 PM

Hi gls858
I have McAfee running well, and Microsoft beta anti spyware running as well.

Russ:)

--
Russell C, retired

"gls858" wrote:

> Russell wrote:
> > Hello, during the later part of the day, I check my email, and a message says
> > that the number of applications has reached it's limits....
> >
> > When I open the task manager, I find the biggest culprit is Outlook.exe with
> > as many as 20 entries all taking cpu mem usage. In addition to that there are
> > other dupications like, SVCHost.exe 3 entries all for the same user (system)
> > 2 entries for the (network service) and 1 for the (local service)
> >
> > Do delete the older Outlook.exe entries (to view a new one) I have to delete
> > each one individually......
> >
> > Is there something wrong with my setup?
> > Using XP Home Ed, Sp2 (Recent rebuild)
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Russ
> >

> You didn't mention if you run an up to date antivirus
> and some sort of spyware detector. If not you're very
> likely infected with a virus,worm or trojan or some sort
> of spyware.
>
> gls858

May 25, 2005 7:49:58 PM

Russell wrote:
> Hi gls858
> I have McAfee running well, and Microsoft beta anti spyware running as well.
>
> Russ:)

Are you sure that the process name is SVCHost or is it SVCHOST
notice the difference in capitalization. SVCHOST will be running
multiple times. If it's actually displayed differently you could have
a problem with a virus. I don't think Outlook should have more than one
process running maybe some one else will know for sure. Try going
to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and do a scan. It's free. Maybe
something slipped through.

gls858
May 25, 2005 7:49:59 PM

Hi Again, yes they are all caps on the SVCHOST. Am up to 28 Outlooks so far
today.
Will use that site, thanks
--
Russell C, retired

"gls858" wrote:

> Russell wrote:
> > Hi gls858
> > I have McAfee running well, and Microsoft beta anti spyware running as well.
> >
> > Russ:)
> >
> Are you sure that the process name is SVCHost or is it SVCHOST
> notice the difference in capitalization. SVCHOST will be running
> multiple times. If it's actually displayed differently you could have
> a problem with a virus. I don't think Outlook should have more than one
> process running maybe some one else will know for sure. Try going
> to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and do a scan. It's free. Maybe
> something slipped through.
>
> gls858

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:58:45 PM

Russell wrote:
> Hi Again, yes they are all caps on the SVCHOST. Am up to 28 Outlooks so far
> today.
> Will use that site, thanks
Is that 28 instances under the processes tab or the Applications
tab? I can open multiple instances of Outlook but I still only
have one process running but the Apps tab shows both instances.

gls858
May 25, 2005 8:58:46 PM

Hi you two folks; I have less mem with my rebuild...act 512 mb with 1152
virtual

The Outlooks build up in the Task Manager processes list only (26). Only one
shows on the desktop. If I reboot, then it reduces back to zero. Maybe it is
because I am online all the time and it check my server frequently for email?

Yes I use Word as my editor (like to use English proper for spelling)

Russ :)
--
Russell C, retired

!