Sign in with
Your question

Wired network disconnected

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
September 20, 2012 6:15:00 PM

Running AMD quad/MSI-790fxgd70 and U_10.04LTS:

I am giving an exact answer to the question: if WWW connection fails, what does the error message **Wired network disconnected** mean? It means your mobo ethernet ports are toast --- buy and install a nic card for $20.

I had the problem, got no response from TH and dozens of pure blubbering BS "software" suggestions from a dozen other sites. Many folks have this issue and packs of byte-boyz want them to fyuck-around reconfiguring files ... gawdsakes UBUNTU-FORUM is the worst offender -- instead of admitting that all real problems (like all honest Welshmen) are hardware problems and fixed buying a hardware solution.
September 20, 2012 7:47:04 PM

Rubbish. There are many possible causes for this message other than a hardware fault with the NIC. What about a faulty, or unplugged, cable for starters?
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:49:22 PM

Yes. Faulty cabling of any ilk is a hardware issue. Swap swap swap ... you should **be** so lucky. It's the chattery, brain-rotting "ifconfig" pimps I'd see **flogged**.

Ijack said:
Rubbish. There are many possible causes for this message other than a hardware fault with the NIC. What about a faulty, or unplugged, cable for starters?

m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2012 8:58:04 PM

With an attitude like that it's no wonder you didn't get any help. As has already been said, there are many possible causes and if you didn't give those attempting to help you enough information or refused to follow instructions of course you're going to get conflicting suggestions. Heck, if you entered my shop with that attitude I'd send you packing pronto.
m
l
September 21, 2012 12:03:23 AM

"Wired Network Disconnected": Nine-of-ten chances the problem is hardware. Nine-of-ten chances the hardware problem is toasted mobo-ethernet ports. Yet, 99-of-100 GOOGLED suggestions point to a software issue. That's not "conflicted" that's denial! Yes indeed an attitude adjustment is needed --- especially among the *nix cognoscenti.

Fortunately it was not your shop I entered for confirmation of my suspicion, and my repair-part purchases were made there.
m
l
September 21, 2012 6:17:37 AM

How many PCs do you repair each year? Or are you basing your assertions on your experience with a single PC?
m
l
September 21, 2012 6:44:20 AM

ex_bubblehead and Ijack are correct. There are many possible software related causes to investigate before jumping to "buy a new NIC because the current one is broken".

To anyone else posting, lets try not to feed to trolls? Thanks.
m
l
September 21, 2012 9:26:27 PM

Quote:
Yet, 99-of-100 GOOGLED suggestions point to a software issue
So if your one result doesn't fit with the 99%, the 99% is wrong?

This guy has a classic case of 'dryer vent clogged => buy new dryer'
Why not look for other causes of your appliances malfunctioning before spending more money to replace it?
m
l
!