US Digital DB-2010 HDTV Receiver

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 10, 2005 4:34:58 AM

I just got this receiver over Christmas and it's been worth the price so
far, even though I can only get one HD channel in my area (PBS). However,
there have been a few glitches. First off, the sound is noticably out of
sync with the video. Next, the volume is too low by about half even when
it's turned all the way up. so that whenever I change channels the others
boom in until I turn it down. Lastly, it's locked up on me twice now.
The only way to reset it is to completely power it down by unplugging it
and waiting a few seconds before plugging it back in (even the power
button does not respond). I've written the manufacturer twice, but so far
no response. Still for the price (<$200 at Wal-Mart) I can't complain
since just having HD is stunning with my 60" 1080i set.

So, anyone else out there have experience (good or bad) with this box?
Has anyone tried playing with the USB port in the back? Is there a
"maintenance mode" available for this unit?
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:52:31 AM

I have seen several PBS shows in our area (I get four different PBS and I am
not referring to the subchannels) that have exhibited this problem. The
audio was out of sync and also at a low and sometimes distorted volume.
Other channels looked just fine. I have a built-in tuner with my Sony set.

As for the lockups, that is most likely a software bug, but it could be a
hardware failure. Have you taken the box back and exchanged it for another?
That might rule out a hardware problem.

Jeff

"John57" <justjohn57@delete_this.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just got this receiver over Christmas and it's been worth the price so
> far, even though I can only get one HD channel in my area (PBS). However,
> there have been a few glitches. First off, the sound is noticably out of
> sync with the video. Next, the volume is too low by about half even when
> it's turned all the way up. so that whenever I change channels the others
> boom in until I turn it down. Lastly, it's locked up on me twice now.
> The only way to reset it is to completely power it down by unplugging it
> and waiting a few seconds before plugging it back in (even the power
> button does not respond). I've written the manufacturer twice, but so far
> no response. Still for the price (<$200 at Wal-Mart) I can't complain
> since just having HD is stunning with my 60" 1080i set.
>
> So, anyone else out there have experience (good or bad) with this box?
> Has anyone tried playing with the USB port in the back? Is there a
> "maintenance mode" available for this unit?

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:06:11 PM

I had mine lock up after about 8 hours, message said "channel xx was off the
air" on every channel, required a power cycle.

Software 2.5.59 (2.4.18-7)

Dave

"John57" <justjohn57@delete_this.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just got this receiver over Christmas and it's been worth the price so
> far, even though I can only get one HD channel in my area (PBS). However,
> there have been a few glitches. First off, the sound is noticably out of
> sync with the video. Next, the volume is too low by about half even when
> it's turned all the way up. so that whenever I change channels the others
> boom in until I turn it down. Lastly, it's locked up on me twice now.
> The only way to reset it is to completely power it down by unplugging it
> and waiting a few seconds before plugging it back in (even the power
> button does not respond). I've written the manufacturer twice, but so far
> no response. Still for the price (<$200 at Wal-Mart) I can't complain
> since just having HD is stunning with my 60" 1080i set.
>
> So, anyone else out there have experience (good or bad) with this box?
> Has anyone tried playing with the USB port in the back? Is there a
> "maintenance mode" available for this unit?

January 13, 2005 7:26:26 PM

I bought one and am having problems getting the dolby digital siginal,
Great picture, watched several
football games. I can get along with dolby prologic but why put the
info on the box if you cannot get dolby digital.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 6:07:20 PM

HI,
my question is how do you set up the connection from the stb. I have
tried the optical hookup and get no sound at all. I could find nothing
in the stb manual for changing output.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:32:07 PM

"JJohnson318" <JJohnson318@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I bought one and am having problems getting the dolby digital siginal,
> Great picture, watched several
> football games. I can get along with dolby prologic but why put the
> info on the box if you cannot get dolby digital.

Are you 100% sure you've set the box up right? Mine will only do dolby
digital through a digital connection to my stereo. And I have to setup the
STB to output dolby digital and not PCM.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

January 15, 2005 10:29:03 PM

> HI,
> my question is how do you set up the connection from the stb. I have
> tried the optical hookup and get no sound at all. I could find nothing
> in the stb manual for changing output.

Hmmm....well my STB is not the same as yours (it's actually a Motorola
satellite box), so I can't say for sure. But mine gave good audio right
out of the box. I just hooked an optical cable to my stereo and told the
stereo to get its input from that.

But to get 5.1 audio I had to go into the box's setup menu and do the
audio setup for digital audio. It defaulted to straight PCM, which gave
only ProLogic capability.

So, make sure that your digital audio is working (hook it to a DVD player
or something to test it) and, if it is, look in the setup menu for the
box. If that doesn't help, maybe you should call your provider because
it's also possible the box is bad.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667