Which wireless bridge for slingbox?

kingnothing83

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
Should have mentioned, for those who don't know. A slingbox plugs into your home network and your tv arial and allows you to stream the tv signal across your network and to remote devices.

Thanks

G

Just get a router that can be installed with dd-wrt firmware and make your own network bridge.

Grumpy

kingnothing83

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
What advantage would that give me? Would it not be difficult to set up as i already have a wireless router and about 5 different clients attached to it

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Nope be about the same as setting up your wireless bridge. Just set the router to an ip in the right range and disable DHCP. The DD-WRT firmware is nice because if you have two routers with DD-WRT you can set up a WDS link so it will both bridge and repeat the signal. Even if you never use this feature it can still act like a normal bridge.
I wouldn't suggest the bridge you picked since it's a B. B cannot have as high of encryption as a g network and is also quite a bit slower. Once the transition to N has finished b network support on newer routers will probably be dropped. Most linksys routers and buffalo can be set up with DD-WRT. Just check out the DD-WRT wiki for the cheapest longest range ect.