Ubuntu worth installing

shad0wboss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Ok so i tried installing ubuntu through bootable usb onto my computer. I don't know why but it formatted my 500 gig hard drive into ext4 from NTFS on which the 2nd windows 7 was installed and now it only boots from the USB into the setup and doesn't even run normally...

Apart from that, i noticed that ubuntu is somehow faster than windows 7 when browsing around and somewhat gorgeous as well or maybe it's only me cuz i'm just fed up of using same windows :p

So when would you guys suggest someone to install ubuntu?

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
The board is going to need more specifics to help you with the install if you are having problems. What happens when you try booting from the HDD?

I installed it via USB on a Netbook and it runs fine, but I wrote over the Windows installation instead of dual boot.

As long as you have minimal needs (web browsing and office applications) Ubuntu is just fine. One advantage over Windows is that you will not have to worry about viruses. Another is that future upgrades will always be free.

shad0wboss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

how's the general speed and quality of apps (specially linux version of word, powerpoint) and also the scrolling smoothness. Is it better than windows 7?

libreoffice is roughly on par with MS office versions minus ribbon interface.
http://www.libreoffice.org/

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
Libre Office (the equivalent of Word) works great, but does have fewer features than MS Word (e.g. "track changes"). One thing that is better is that it can read and save in more file formats, including .doc.

I find that most of the Ubuntu/Linux apps are like that - you can find an equivalent that works for just about everything, but it may not have all the advanced features of the MS equivalent. That said, they tend to run faster and are easier on system resources.

But bubblehead is right--the best thing to do is try it on a USB drive without installing it to your HDD and see if you like it.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
You shouldn't be trying to install it from within Windows, make a live cd or usb stick to boot to and it will give a guided installation like Windows does.

ibranba

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

Ubuntu can do pretty much anything, there is a ridiculous amount of developers, It is a question of getting use to. If you are used to using windows, I would suggest to stick with it.
If you really want to try Ubuntu, meanwhile having windows go for dual-boot or use a virtual machine. :)

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
3 things:

- Ubuntu is great alternative to windows unless u need to do some serious MSFT OFFICE stuff

- Linux Mint is built based on UBUNTU but is much more newbie friendly because it pre installs everything u need like Flash

- If u do move to linux, i would use a USB drive... boot from USB and install using either the whole hard drive... or using half the hard drive and using the other half for windows

james1960

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I have Ubuntu 12.04 on an OLD (7+ years) Toshiba laptop that was running XP-Home. both my wife and I LOVE how responsive the laptop is with Linux running after seeing it lag obscenely with Windoze. The main thing it's used for is note taking, web browsing and email when we're on the road and watching the occasional DVD. If there isn't some Windows SPECIFIC program you need to run, I would say Ubuntu is worth the effort. You can find something, usually FREE, to do 90% of the things you can do with a paid Windows program.