Intel/Mobo Drivers & Linux

storminthenorman

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Hi all,

I'm building a computer for mostly processor-intensive tasks, like video conversion, video editing, audio, etc. and ZERO gaming. Therefore, I've decided to choose Linux (probably Ubuntu or Ubuntu Studio) over windows for a few reasons: Its free, built on Unix, and doesn't slow down over time like Windows or even Mac OSX. I'll be using a 3770k and integrated graphics.

But there's one problem I've ran into on the motherboard websites. None of the drivers are for Linux. There's only Windows xp, vista, 7, and 8. No Linux. Now, I want to do a fresh install of Ubuntu, but I know that I have to install a bunch of new drivers and stuff afterwards, but I have a feeling the drivers won't work with Ubuntu. The drivers that I really need would be usb 3.0 and Intel LAN.

My question is, how do I get those drivers installed?

Solution

Drivers for Linux are almost always included within the OS itself and you rarely need to install any extra drivers. The drivers are set up when the OS installs.

Solution

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
And you can always try it from a USB stick first before installing on your HDD. Linux does not work 100% of the time; you will sometimes encounter problems with components like scanners, printers, etc (I had a problem with my audio jack using Linux Mint, but resolved it through trial and error using Ubuntu). If there is a problem with your components, you will be able to tell when you boot from USB.