Sign in with
Your question

Vista x64 upgrade to SP1 black screen with cursor

Last response: in Windows Vista
March 9, 2009 11:16:25 AM

Hi all.

I recently upgraded my Vista x64 to SP1 it worked fine for a day or two and now bootsup successfully to a black screen with a mouse cursor.

No login screen and i cannot use Ctrl alt delete

I have tried the following :

I have tried every possible bootup option from the F8 menu (Yes safe mode does the same)

I have tried the windows repair cd and used the automatic repair it just says the system as booted up successfully (So it not a bootup problem)

While in the windows recovery
I used chkdsk /f , bootsect replace the MBR and also tried the BCDedit etc
I also manually replaced the software and system files under windows\system32\config with older versions that worked previously
When i tried to do a system restore from the Repair CD it says no restore points availabe which
is very weird because i had made one before i upgrade to SP1

I have tried regedit and made sure the winlogin shell is set to explorer

I know has a last resort to i can reinstall a clean copy but i would really like to save the OS if possible.

My specs
Asus striker II extreme (latest bios) MB
E6750 Cpu
4Gig 1600mhz Corsair ram
750GIG western Digital HDD
7800GTX 512mb
550watt Psu

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance
March 10, 2009 7:34:56 AM

Is there any intelligent life out there or is it just me ?

Really guys and gals any suggestions ? Anything ???

I'm willing to do the hokey pokey at this point to get this system to bootup to the desktop !!!
m
l
March 10, 2009 11:35:07 AM

Before reinstalling from scratch, I would at least try to reinstall over it.

I would also reset the BIOS (if was overclocked) and do a HDD/RAM test (not just a chkdsk /f).

Otherwise, a clean installation is advised.
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2009 12:40:51 PM

LoneEagle said:
Before reinstalling from scratch, I would at least try to reinstall over it.

I would also reset the BIOS (if was overclocked) and do a HDD/RAM test (not just a chkdsk /f).

Otherwise, a clean installation is advised.

Thanks for the reply

No my PC is not OCed

However you cannot install\upgrade over the vista installation that option is only available if you run the
installation from windows which is not possible. How clever is microsoft ? not :( 

All my hardware is 100% i have tested all components under another vista installation

Do you know of a setup command from DOS that i can use to force the upgrade option. That may help

Thanks again
m
l
March 10, 2009 6:16:54 PM

The_King said:
Thanks for the reply
However you cannot install\upgrade over the vista installation that option is only available if you run the
installation from windows which is not possible. How clever is microsoft ? not :( 

It make sense to disable the installation (overwrite) while the OS is running. You must install from booting from the DVD and not do an installation from Windows.

Just put in the dvd and reboot, at the post, boot from the dvd and just do a normal installation without deleting your partition. It might not work but worth a try.
m
l
March 11, 2009 4:35:06 PM

LoneEagle said:
It make sense to disable the installation (overwrite) while the OS is running. You must install from booting from the DVD and not do an installation from Windows.

Just put in the dvd and reboot, at the post, boot from the dvd and just do a normal installation without deleting your partition. It might not work but worth a try.

You seem to be confused there bud.

I cannot boot up to windows vista desktop so i have not been trying to install\upgrade from windows

No it does not make sense to disable the installation overwrite while the OS is running and you can only do an installation overwrite or upgrade while the OS is running

I have been running the windows installation and bootup from the windows CD and the upgrade option is disable because thats how Microsoft made it. You can only overwrite or upgrade from windows not from the boot cd \ DVD.

Thanks anyway man i appreciate the effort

m
l
!