Linux pc

alfiethedog

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
guys

as a very newbie i have a question about setting up a linux box

i have become tired of windows and would like to build a new box running linux

I'm not a gamer but do love my media music and movies I also store and edit my photo's

on my PC

it needs to be resilient too as it will be the home system too ( mainly home work and web )

mid price range

many people have said that there should not be a problem with most pc's being able to to cope with Linux
but i would like a system tailored for Linux.

any suggestions will be gratefully received

many thanks
Alfie :)

PS if i have posted in the wrong section my appologies

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
I suggest simply buying an good deal on a respectable laptop such as a lenovo in the $300 to $350 price range and making it work with linux, which is very easy.

4GB DDR3 or better RAM and a 500GB hard drive with a second-generation Core Pentium or i3 is good enough, I would say. But this is just an example of a base model with built-in card reader, preferably.u

. . . or you could go Alienware . . .

Best wishes!

alfiethedog

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

many thanks chamaecyparis the laptop does look a good option will look further :)

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
In my experience it seems the newer the system the better the compatibility and user enjoyment, but these days compatibility with Linux REALLY has not been an issue for me, except when dealing with external Netgear USB wifi adapters or printers.

alfiethedog

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
thank you Dr_JRE

i have been trying pinguy on the wifes lappy and am quite pleased although i tried reinstalling vista on it and and made a right pigs ear of it

i got open suse to install perfecto realy liked the lay out but could not sort the wireless so have gone back to pinguy which installed and picked up wireless without any fuss so pinguy it is for now

:D

holidaeonline

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

holidaeonline

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Linux veteran++ (Legacy)
I suggest simply buying an good deal on a respectable laptop such as a lenovo in the $300 to $350 price range and making it work with linux, which is very easy.

4GB DDR3 or better RAM and a 500GB hard drive with a second-generation Core Pentium or i3 is good enough, I would say. But this is just an example of a base model with built-in card reader, preferably.u http://www.holidae.in