Sign in with
Your question

Vista upgrade to 64 bit

Last response: in Windows Vista
March 10, 2009 3:30:37 PM

Noob question here:

I ordered parts for my first build this week. They will be here on Thursday. I ordered it to run 64 bit Vista (4G RAM, etc), but a friend who got me Vista only got the 32 bit disc. I ordered the 64 bit upgrade from Microsoft and paid for expedited shipping, but it probably wont be here until next week sometime.

Should I wait to build the machines until I have the 64 bit OS or will it function well enough with the 32 bit version in the interim until the 64 bit disc arrives?

I just want to make sure that by running 32 bit I'm not going to run into any issues when I upgrade. If it's safer to just wait for the 64 bit, I will, but I really want to get these things up and running this weekend. I think I'm being paranoid, but with this being my first build, I just want to make sure there are no quirks that I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance

More about : vista upgrade bit

March 10, 2009 4:39:30 PM

Yes, the Vista 32bits will work fine with your machine.

Warning, you won't be able to upgrade from 32bits to x64. Clean install only.

You don't know anyone who has a x64 Vista disc? Just make sure to choose the right version because they are all available on the CD but only one will work with your Product Key. It's just a CD and had no real value. Only you Product Key is valuable and should work with the x64 version.
m
l
March 10, 2009 5:00:58 PM

LoneEagle said:
Yes, the Vista 32bits will work fine with your machine.

Warning, you won't be able to upgrade from 32bits to x64. Clean install only.

You don't know anyone who has a x64 Vista disc? Just make sure to choose the right version because they are all available on the CD but only one will work with your Product Key. It's just a CD and had no real value. Only you Product Key is valuable and should work with the x64 version.

Offhand, I can't think of anyone within reasonable driving distance who has one (just moved for work and we're still running xp here). I'll ask around and see if I can get someone to overnight theirs to me. I know a friend of mine got the same Vista disc I just got (through the same person I used) and used the 64-bit disc that came with his laptop...just entered the cd key from his 32 bit disc.

Anywho, if I can't get my hands on one, for the sake of time and effort, I'll just wait. Maybe I'll get lucky and Microsoft will get the disc out today and I'll have it by Friday. One can hope...

Thanks for the help.

Edit: by 'version' do you mean home vs home premium, ect?
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2009 6:07:42 PM

Would the disc that Dell sends out with their machines work for this? The only person that I know locally that would have it bought an XPS laptop a couple months ago. She's pretty sure it's the Home Premium 64-bit (it could be ultimate, she's not sure).

If that wont work, I'm not going to have her waste her time.

Thanks yet again.
m
l
March 10, 2009 9:28:22 PM

So if we have a 32 bit OS we might as well go out and buy the 64 bit OS and not an upgrade?
m
l
March 10, 2009 9:32:50 PM

NukeKnight said:
So if we have a 32 bit OS we might as well go out and buy the 64 bit OS and not an upgrade?

I got the 32 bit by mistake. Inside the package, it directs you to a website you can order the 64 bit version. With expedited shiping (in the US) it cost $17.
m
l
March 10, 2009 10:20:09 PM

Not possible for OEM unless you go ltimate I believe.
m
l
March 10, 2009 11:40:04 PM

Do you have the web addy still Jnow?
m
l
!