wireless ethernet bridging

dixiedarlin

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
A friend of mine told me about wireless ethernet bridging between two locations and said that would be the way to go!! My mother in law has DSL at her house and it is about 450 feet away from mine and I want to expand her signal to reach me where I am at. My friend said that all I need is 2 antennae's and 2 wireless routers and the cable and it would work?? Is this true and if so how hard is it to install??

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Ok at 450 ft your kind of pushing wireless to it's limit I would suggest two directional antennas pointing at eachother preferably line of sight if possible. Your probably going to want an antenna rated for at least 200 meters to get good signal. Your also going to need a router that can log into a wireless network I would suggest the buffalo WHR-HP-G54 hacked with DD-WRT alternative firmware. Definitely best bang for the buck. In the end this will probably run you $200. Considering AT&T DSL is 12$ a month after getting the phone line gonna be a couple years before you break even.

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Yeah getting a Linksys or Buffalfo wireless router and running DD-WRT ( www.dd-wrt.com ) on it is a great idea. You can find nice antenna's at www.wlanparts.com . Do your research on what Linksys or Buffalo wireless routers you buy. I know that most of the newer Linksys Wireless routers are crippled with small amount of RAM which limits the routers' potential. I have a Linksys WRT54GS v2.1 at home with DD-WRT v24 RC4 and it is totally awesome. It has an 8MB Flash and 32MB of RAM... Look on eBay for some of those. But if you want to buy something new then go with the Buffalo wireless routers. You can find all the details you want on the dd-wrt website.