Sign in with
Your question

Think you have a powerful system? (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. players)

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2007 8:52:13 PM

OK this thread is for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. players! :twisted:
If you think that your system can handle S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fine then try and download this!
This mod brings S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to a whole new graphic level!(really new graphic level)
On my machine, the game (patched v1.0003) with Float32 mod & some other mini modes ran fine at 1600x1200+max every single detail and noAA, But with this mode my system began to beg for mercy. :evil: 
I reduced the resolution to 1280x960 & dropped some details but my FPS never goes above 35 with a average of 19~21FPS. :(  (Holy Cow!)
If you don't like to install this mod, you can compare your system to mine and guess the result.(Someone on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. forumz said that with an 8800GTX & 2.8GHz AMD X2 couldn't get playable FPS!)
See the screen shots in the above link!
By the way i guess i need some experienced guys to explain to me why this mod drank my frame rate that much?(Ape/P/Zac/SS/HY you are needed here!)

Still think you have a powerful machine? 8) (of course you have my friend! :wink: )
Guess my computer needs a

More about : powerful system players

May 25, 2007 9:26:39 PM

Yeah, I installed that patch and it hurt my frame rate quite a bit. I was really surprised of how bad actually. But in my defense I am playing under Vista and it crashes 2 out of 3 times anyway... so i do not play it much at all right now.

crim
May 31, 2007 2:25:06 AM

i just got my hd2900xt today and man was i amazed. i run stalker at 1680X1050 res at everything maxed except for the aa, af, and grass shadows. im getting about 40 fps at a raining red forest. i get those occasional stutters still but i think its because im running the ultra quality mod addon.
Related resources
May 31, 2007 11:05:49 AM

Well, I am having serious lock ups and frame rate issues with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. even without adding that mod. I have installed patch 10003 and the game is hardly playable even (mainly due to lock ups). Frame rate is a mediocre 20 fps even @1280x1024, with the graphics details set at ''high'' (as opposed to maximum). Weird given that my PC specs (found in my signature) are on par with those of the recommended rig for that game. I am running the Catalyst drivers that came with my card (as the old computer adage goes: ''if it works don't try to fix it'') on XP Pro but I do not have issues in other games (GTR2 and TOCA 3 for example). Any ideas?
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2007 12:21:30 PM

Upgrade your drivers
May 31, 2007 12:49:29 PM

Get another gig of Ram, it's dirt cheap right now and does more for correcting low FPS and stuttering than anything else in Stalker.
May 31, 2007 12:50:53 PM

Lol well it clearly isnt working so fix it
May 31, 2007 1:08:45 PM

Quote:
OK this thread is for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. players! :twisted:
If you think that your system can handle S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fine then try and download this!
This mod brings S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to a whole new graphic level!(really new graphic level)
On my machine, the game (patched v1.0003) with Float32 mod & some other mini modes ran fine at 1600x1200+max every single detail and noAA, But with this mode my system began to beg for mercy. :evil: 
I reduced the resolution to 1280x960 & dropped some details but my FPS never goes above 35 with a average of 19~21FPS. :(  (Holy Cow!)
If you don't like to install this mod, you can compare your system to mine and guess the result.(Someone on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. forumz said that with an 8800GTX & 2.8GHz AMD X2 couldn't get playable FPS!)
See the screen shots in the above link!
By the way i guess i need some experienced guys to explain to me why this mod drank my frame rate that much?(Ape/P/Zac/SS/HY you are needed here!)

Still think you have a powerful machine? 8) (of course you have my friend! :wink: )

I tried the mod a while back, the visuals got fancier, shinier surfaces and deeper bump looking mapping with more shadows and such. At 1920x1080 everything turned up, myGTX's hardly noticed the difference...., just kept churning away... :wink:
May 31, 2007 1:57:19 PM

I purchased STALKER about 3 weeks ago but didn't played it yet. I still have to finish Prey first, so I guess that,ll be next weeks.

Is it really worth the loss of performances to install this patch or is it just for bragging right? No offence intended by the way.

I'm asking 'cause looking at my VPU beside yours I guess I should really avoid it, unless the graphics are so much better even at lower resolution that's it's worth reducing it for me.

Thanks.
May 31, 2007 2:02:16 PM

Quote:
Well, I am having serious lock ups and frame rate issues with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. even without adding that mod. I have installed patch 10003 and the game is hardly playable even (mainly due to lock ups). Frame rate is a mediocre 20 fps even @1280x1024, with the graphics details set at ''high'' (as opposed to maximum). Weird given that my PC specs (found in my signature) are on par with those of the recommended rig for that game. I am running the Catalyst drivers that came with my card (as the old computer adage goes: ''if it works don't try to fix it'') on XP Pro but I do not have issues in other games (GTR2 and TOCA 3 for example). Any ideas?

I'd say your problems comes from having "only" 1GB of memory. Not bad at all, but maybe a bit low for a new game like that. Your slowdown might come from your system working from the HDD every once in a while.

Also, like jaydeejohn says, upgrading your drivers will also help for sure. Your's are probably older then the game itself which isn't good at all usually. I's start there, it's less expensive then getting new memory stick.

Good luck.
May 31, 2007 3:40:13 PM

Must be some of the other mods. I loaded the may 26th release of the Float32 mods and it adds a little this and that, but I don't see much difference. It makes the game darker, which I don't like.

It says the game won't stutter, but it's not stuttering when it didn't before.

I guess it's pretty easy as to why it causes slow downs, if you keep increasing the polycount for each texture, then it's bound to slow it down. I'm sure developer or modder could release a mod\patch that doubles the polycounts on their game to max out the latest video card, but since that would make the game unplayable, the question is why would they ?
May 31, 2007 6:38:23 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I am just wondering how it can be playable on the following rig since it stutters on mine.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Microsoft® Windows® XP (Service Pack 2) / Microsoft® Windows® 2000 SP4
Processor type : Intel Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz / AMD XP 2200+
512 MB RAM
10 GB available hard drive space
128 MB DirectX® 8.0 compatible card / nVIDIA® GeForce™ 5700 / ATI Radeon® 9600
DirectX® 9.0 compatible sound card
LAN/Internet connection with low latency Cable/DSL speeds for multiplayer
Keyboard, Mouse
May 31, 2007 7:04:30 PM

Hey Man, sorry for late answer.(Damn University leave no life for me! :x )
OK,
First uninstall the game, then have a fresh install of game, update to patch v1.0003 & MOST IMPORTANT, download this file that i have uploaded here.
It increase Graphics+Performance by 15~30%.
Also don't forget to defrag you HDD after installing the game.(either use windows defragmenter or the program that i have showed in my Episode1)
Memory is not your issue! :wink:

Quote:
Is it really worth the loss of performances to install this patch or is it just for bragging right? No offence intended by the way.

No, it's not & i don't use it, but you really MUST install the graphic patch that i have uploaded above after updating to patch v1.0003.
You can download official patches from here.
MAIDEN RULE!
EDIT: IMPORTANT: :!: You must use Full-Dynamic-Lighting in order to this mod to work property!
May 31, 2007 7:05:12 PM

Quote:
Well, I am having serious lock ups and frame rate issues with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. even without adding that mod.
If you have full or object dynamic lightning, try switching to static lightning. On my X800XL the framerate went from 0.5 to about 35fps average.

But before you do that you should definitely update your drivers. It doesn't represent any sort of risks.
May 31, 2007 7:10:14 PM

Oh it's not playable at all, in my opinion. Stutters is a given, if you onyl have 1GB of ram, unless you play on the lowest of video settings.

Just for fun I only used 512MB of memory to see how the game played. After waiting a year for the game to finaly load, I could move around and do stuff, but it was just a constant start and go, about like surfing the web on dial-up. Sure you can do it, but why.

1GB on low settings is enough to get by with, but there is going to be plenty of stutter. I haven't run at even recommended requirements for years. Nowadays, it's probably more realistic to look at the recommended requirements and assume those are the "real" minimum requirements.

It's such a farse and publishers should be ashamed at those fake minimum requirements. It's all to get the game in your hands. They can argue all they want that "Hey, the game technically runs", but the real question is, Yeah, but is it playable.

Let a game play on a console like it does on a PC with the Minimum specs and no one would buy a console anymore. The same standard should be on PCs. What's it take for the game to be acceptably playable.
May 31, 2007 7:58:43 PM

I am still having trouble with F.E.A.R. at the moment. My systems begs for mecry playing it at 2xAA 4xAF...lol
May 31, 2007 8:03:07 PM

Eh, sorry man, ...but i forgot your system spec. :?
June 1, 2007 5:17:05 PM

What?
You said you can't play F.E.A.R. well and i asked about your System spec! :?
What's wrong? :?
BTW, i can't see your sig as it shows a connection error!
June 1, 2007 5:38:40 PM

Quote:
What?
You said you can't play F.E.A.R. well and i asked about your System spec! :?
What's wrong? :?
BTW, i can't see your sig as it shows a connection error!

Ahh... lol, anybody else getting issues with my sig?

My System:
x2 3600+ @ 2.95Ghz
AC Freezer64 PRo
x1950Pro 640/1410
4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
OCZ/FSP Revised GameXstream 700w
ASRock Crossfire MOBO

I haven't tried it since I upped the overclocks and added the RAM, but I doubt its going to be much different.
June 1, 2007 5:53:27 PM

Woohoo! :D 
That's a serious rig man!
You didn't mention the resolution you that you played at, but you should be able to play F.E.A.R. in 1280x960+4xAA+16xAF with no problem. (1600x1200 with a little problem)
Just a little recommendation: better upload your sig's image in http://tinypic.com/ cause i found out that it's one of the only sites that most people can see it's image even with their limited connection! :wink:
June 1, 2007 6:01:54 PM

I'm not sure what is holding me back...

I game at 1680x1050 right now, I think the x1950Pro is the problem....

When the CPU is anything under 2.4Ghz the game starts to really slow down. I need to mess with it some more to figure out whats going on.

Thanks for the advice, btw..

I have been dying to try STALKER. I need to finish the games I have right now first. It just sucks that DOOM3 doesn't support widescreen. I am never going to able to finish that game because it looks horrible stretched.

Computers are the devil... I tell ya.
June 1, 2007 6:31:22 PM

There is a thread over in the FEAR forums about this. A guy has a equally power rig that I do, but I have a 1900XTX and he has the X1950 Pro. Best we could determin, is that one the higher settings, the 1950Pro needs more memory. Mine plays fine at with 512MB, but the X1950's 256 seems to hurt it in Shader rich games.

OBTW, I haven't had any problems seeing your Sig
!