• 6 %
  • Puppy
  • 0 %
  • PCLinuxOS
  • 0 %
  • Any BSD
  • 6 %
October 8, 2012 5:12:41 PM

Options selected from the Distrowatch top 10 (with CentOS removed since it's for running servers and Lubuntu since Ubuntu is only getting a single entry!).

Your distro not listed here? Add it as a post.

More about : main distribution

October 9, 2012 3:17:36 AM

I would say that CentOS is like the Debian of Fedora. :) 

Personally I use Scientific Linux for mission critical desktop work and Fedora when I can tolerate a kernel panic or three. :p 
October 9, 2012 8:23:33 AM

amdfangirl said:
I would say that CentOS is like the Debian of Fedora. :) 

Personally I use Scientific Linux for mission critical desktop work and Fedora when I can tolerate a kernel panic or three. :p 

Yeah I found Fedora to one of the most unstable distros I've ever used. I think it was version 15 I tried (the one that introduced GNOME 3) so maybe not their most stable release... still hugely unimpressed though. Your first sentence was very cryptic... well played.
Related resources
October 9, 2012 8:36:18 AM

I thought 15 was quite stable in comparison to 16 and 17.

Maybe I just have low standards?
October 9, 2012 9:12:14 AM

amdfangirl said:
I thought 15 was quite stable in comparison to 16 and 17.

Maybe I just have low standards?

Haha maybe you do. That comment has erased any doubt from my mind though that I'm better off staying away from Fedora. Or would have done, had there been any doubt to begin with! I'm not very tolerant at all of bugs/glitches/instability and don't really have the technical knowledge to fix broken distros.

One of the faults in my Fedora 15 installation (brand new fresh install) was package database corruption. Found the command line instructions to fix it, but it just wouldn't do it. Any package I tried to install would complain about corruption. I get along very well with (K/X)ubuntu and Bodhi though, Ubuntu is the least glitchy Linux I've discovered (and I've tried a LOT of distributions!).

Part of the reason for my posting this poll is to see if Ubuntu is most used, or Mint. Distrowatch would say Mint, but I don't think the number of people reading about something will necessarily correspond with how many people use it. Infact I'd say the distribution you're least likely to be researching the basics on is the one you already use.
October 9, 2012 9:18:52 AM

I find Fedora is stable by the time its obsolete. Helpful isn't it?
October 9, 2012 9:30:58 AM

amdfangirl said:
I find Fedora is stable by the time its obsolete. Helpful isn't it?

Hehe yeah, I think it's a big problem in attracting new users - it will just confirm their suspicions that the software is lower quality than Microsoft's when things don't work properly. I wonder if maybe that's the real reason that Linux users always point new users to Ubuntu first - more about first impressions than ease of use!
October 9, 2012 9:40:15 AM

My point lies in that Scientific Linux/Cent OS are vital to the Fedora side of things, that's all.

They are considerably harder to use than Fedora thanks to insane repo management.

Looking forward to v7, which is based off the more modern Fedora 17/18 rather than Fedora 12/13.

:) 
October 9, 2012 9:46:06 AM

I see what you mean. I have wondered what would happen to Ubuntu if Debian somehow ceased to exist. Can't ever see that happening though with the Debian community being what it is, it's too big to die now! Definitely my second favourite distribution, will be running it on my Raspberry Pi when it finally arrives :-)
October 9, 2012 9:55:34 AM

Ubuntu has LTS, Fedora doesn't.

Simple as that. Ubuntu would be comparatively more ok without Debian than Fedora without Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS/etc.
October 9, 2012 10:23:38 AM

Sounds like you have a higher opinion of Ubuntu than of Fedora?
October 11, 2012 12:38:08 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Options selected from the Distrowatch top 10 (with CentOS removed since it's for running servers and Lubuntu since Ubuntu is only getting a single entry!).

Your distro not listed here? Add it as a post.

Gentoo. I like it because of its extreme flexibility. Being able to set your -march in GCC is a big deal too, especially running Bulldozers. There is a world of difference in performance between no -march and -march=bdver1 on these chips, especially when compiling the kernel, glibc, and coreutils. It's about like the difference between running with NUMA off vs. on. :o 
October 11, 2012 1:21:16 PM

MU_Engineer said:
Gentoo. I like it because of its extreme flexibility. Being able to set your -march in GCC is a big deal too, especially running Bulldozers. There is a world of difference in performance between no -march and -march=bdver1 on these chips, especially when compiling the kernel, glibc, and coreutils. It's about like the difference between running with NUMA off vs. on. :o 

I loved the idea of Gentoo (same as I loved the idea of Arch), but as with Arch, I just can't get my wireless working on it, so the installation never progressed beyond a standalone command line system. I also couldn't help wondering if it was really worth the effort... besides, aren't there user-friendly distributions out there that still let you compile from source if you want? And that don't suck like Sabayon :-)
October 11, 2012 5:44:17 PM

sam_p_lay said:
I loved the idea of Gentoo (same as I loved the idea of Arch), but as with Arch, I just can't get my wireless working on it, so the installation never progressed beyond a standalone command line system. I also couldn't help wondering if it was really worth the effort... besides, aren't there user-friendly distributions out there that still let you compile from source if you want? And that don't suck like Sabayon :-)

All distrobutions let you compile from source 'if you want'. How do you think those packages are made :) 
October 11, 2012 9:25:23 PM

skittle said:
All distrobutions let you compile from source 'if you want'. How do you think those packages are made :) 

Haha the man is right. Alright, distributions that have source repositories?
October 16, 2012 10:32:56 PM

Personally, I prefer Xubuntu, lightweight distro that runs good on anything no matter how new or how slow and ancient. Plus I can browse the internet, send email, chat on IRC and do everything you would do with a computer while the OS is installing.

However, if the computer at least 1GHz w/ 768 RAM and intended for someone other than me, I would install Ubuntu then change the window manager from Unity to KDE. Lots of nice eyecandy. (Or for a quick install, just use Kubuntu, but I personally don't think this is as good of an option.) In a few cases I have seen Kubuntu run better on an old machine than Xubuntu.

All in all I have been exceedingly happy with Debian and Ubuntu derivatives.
October 17, 2012 2:49:57 PM

Dr_JRE said:
Personally, I prefer Xubuntu, lightweight distro that runs good on anything no matter how new or how slow and ancient. Plus I can browse the internet, send email, chat on IRC and do everything you would do with a computer while the OS is installing.

However, if the computer at least 1GHz w/ 768 RAM and intended for someone other than me, I would install Ubuntu then change the window manager from Unity to KDE. Lots of nice eyecandy. (Or for a quick install, just use Kubuntu, but I personally don't think this is as good of an option.) In a few cases I have seen Kubuntu run better on an old machine than Xubuntu.

All in all I have been exceedingly happy with Debian and Ubuntu derivatives.

Xubuntu is my favourite also - lightweight but at the same time (in my opinion) a really attractive, well-presented and designed interface. With Bluebird theme and Greybird or Moheli window decoration, a genuinely sleek and attractive looking interface. Although KDE and Enlightenment 17 have more eye candy and are polished to perfection visually, I find Xfce/Xubuntu even more of a pleasure to use.

Why do you prefer installing KDE over Unity instead of using Kubuntu? In my experience, several of the KDE visual effects don't work properly when it's installed onto a distribution that didn't bundle KDE with it. Kubuntu is by far the best implementation of KDE I've ever seen.

Agreed about Debian also - second favourite distribution after Ubuntu derivatives.
October 17, 2012 3:22:56 PM

Xubuntu is bad. :) 

OS Geo is based off Xubuntu, and my laziness means I can't be stuffed to make a Red Hat equivalent installation.

(I use OS Geo)
October 17, 2012 3:36:03 PM

amdfangirl said:
Xubuntu is bad. :) 

OS Geo is based off Xubuntu, and my laziness means I can't be stuffed to make a Red Hat equivalent installation.

(I use OS Geo)

OK you've completely lost me - are you talking about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Geospatial_Fou... ?

What does it have to do with Xubuntu and how does that make Xubuntu bad? That was a confusing post.
October 17, 2012 3:50:13 PM

They make a LiveDVD which contains many Geographical information systems applications.

I can't be stuffed to manually package all those apps in Fedora LiveDVD re-spin, so I use OS GEO, which is based off Xubuntu, and from that, I don't mind the Xubuntu UI.

October 17, 2012 3:54:46 PM

amdfangirl said:
They make a LiveDVD which contains many Geographical information systems applications.

I can't be stuffed to manually package all those apps in Fedora LiveDVD re-spin, so I use OS GEO, which is based off Xubuntu, and from that, I don't mind the Xubuntu UI.

Glad to hear it... so how come it's bad? I'd advise having a play with the settings (it's awesomely customisable) but if you can't save those settings then I suppose it's not worth the time.

Are you really 17 by the way? That's what it says under your more info link :-P
October 17, 2012 4:21:09 PM

I never said it was bad. I said that it was good. :p 

It's just I think LXDE + Fedora is better. Though the sheer fact I decide to live with Xubuntu is testament to how good it is - that is I don't see the need to specifically respin something to fit my Fedora + LXDE tastes.
October 17, 2012 4:52:22 PM

amdfangirl said:
I never said it was bad. I said that it was good. :p 

Might want to re-read your posts...
October 18, 2012 12:46:23 AM

Typo, that teaches me not to post in the early morning. :p 
October 18, 2012 8:17:31 AM

Slackware, nothing better (for me) out there.
October 18, 2012 8:58:30 AM

amdfangirl said:
Typo, that teaches me not to post in the early morning. :p 

You're in the States? Times on here all seem to be 5 hours in the past, except my edits which are 1 hour in the future... technology eh :-)
October 18, 2012 9:07:15 AM

TobiSGD said:
Slackware, nothing better (for me) out there.

Sorry - I would have included it (since it's obviously a major and important distribution) but thought it would be fairer (less subjective anyway) to just use the Distrowatch top 10 rather than what I considered to be important (if it was just important stuff, Mageia and Puppy would probably be replaced with Mandriva/Gentoo/Slackware).
October 18, 2012 8:18:42 PM

No problem, unfortunately Slackware is nowadays more the underdog and doesn't play the important role anymore it has done in the past.
October 18, 2012 8:47:30 PM

TobiSGD said:
No problem, unfortunately Slackware is nowadays more the underdog and doesn't play the important role anymore it has done in the past.

A new version might help - I think this is the longest Slackware has ever gone without an update. He said it would never be longer than a year between versions, but it's well over a year since the release of 13.37. I've never actually got it working on this machine anyway - seems to install fine but crashes during boot, as does every distribution based on Slackware. I'm happy with my various buntu distros anyway :-)
October 19, 2012 12:53:13 AM

Slackware 14 was released 28th of September, working fine here.
Regarding the crashes during boot, did you by any chance switch to the generic kernel without generating an initrd with the needed modules?
October 19, 2012 12:56:30 AM

I think i found a new main distro.

Ubuntu Studio
October 19, 2012 8:36:31 AM

TobiSGD said:
Slackware 14 was released 28th of September, working fine here.
Regarding the crashes during boot, did you by any chance switch to the generic kernel without generating an initrd with the needed modules?

I didn't realise it had been released! Maybe I should take another look then. Good to know it's still going (I was beginning to think that was it for Slackware, nothing after 13.37). And nope, didn't switch kernels. The most involved thing I've ever done with a Linux kernel is a Gentoo installation, otherwise I leave it alone.
Anonymous
October 23, 2012 2:42:52 PM

umm
no redhat

well thats what I use
it has a free home desktop version you know.
it's the fastest linux os I ever used. I went from being hardly able to play games on my old thinkpad, to no trouble what so ever
boot tine is so much faster then Ubuntu or fedora, not only that but it rock hard stable

take a look at my desktop. 90% of all the apps I need are in the mane repo's

edit
I heard that they plan to use a rebuild of gnome 3 in el7 (EL7= enterprise linux 7)
they say it will be graet, wonder what that will be like. I know gnome3 sucks for remote stuff
October 23, 2012 3:03:29 PM

Anonymous said:
umm
no redhat

well thats what I use
it's the fastest linux os I ever used. I went from being hardly able to play games on my old thinkpad, to no trouble what so ever
boot tine is so much faster then Ubuntu or fedora, not only that but it rock hard stable

take a look at my desktop. 90% of all the apps I need are in the mane repo's
http://imageshack.us/a/img10/7869/screenshotddu.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img100/7919/screenshot1uk.png

edit
I herd that they plan to use a rebuild of gnome 3 in el7
they say it will be grate, wonder what that will be like. I know gnome3 sucks for remote stuff

*heard, great

That is pretty sweet actually. Is it a really old version before Red Hat split into RHEL and Fedora? What's EL7?
October 23, 2012 4:11:14 PM

Anonymous said:

Can you show me? :) 
Anonymous
October 24, 2012 5:30:54 AM

amdfangirl said:
Can you show me? :) 

PM inbound
Anonymous
October 24, 2012 5:31:29 AM

sam_p_lay said:
*heard, great

That is pretty sweet actually. Is it a really old version before Red Hat split into RHEL and Fedora? What's EL7?

no
it's the newest version
EL6.3

EL= enterprise linux
redhat and centOS are kind of like the LTS for fedora with a lot of sever stuff added.
not for a linux noob what so ever. but someone like me can do alot with it
November 2, 2012 12:51:34 AM

CentOS 6 with Gnome 2
November 2, 2012 8:49:12 AM

chonito13 said:
CentOS 6 with Gnome 2

I didn't leave CentOS in the list because it's designed for servers and this poll is designed for home desktop distros...
November 2, 2012 10:07:00 AM

Designed for... :) 

The Captain Crunch whistle was designed as a toy. It became a huge success because the whistle produced a frequency that would make the phones essentially give you a free call. That was called phreaking.

Designed for and used for are two different things. <3
November 2, 2012 11:16:51 AM

Anonymous said:
PM inbound

If its free, why not post the link here? I would be interested in that also.
Anonymous
November 2, 2012 3:20:39 PM

sam_p_lay said:
I didn't leave CentOS in the list because it's designed for servers and this poll is designed for home desktop distros...

lol ok then
centOS's goal is to be a highly stable linux OS.
TobiSGD said:
If its free, why not post the link here? I would be interested in that also.

ok here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6qAOFzYxCw

the 30 day Evaluation is just for RHN and tech support
November 2, 2012 4:52:36 PM

Anonymous said:
lol ok then
centOS's goal is to be a highly stable linux OS.

Indeed. But the reason that stability is important is for running enterprise servers. The 'e' in CentOS stands for Enterprise. If these polls had 20 options, I may have included it, but there won't be enough people using CentOS on their desktop for it to be worth removing one of the 10 more popular options for.

Anonymous said:
the 30 day Evaluation is just for RHN and tech support

So not really free then? What happens after 30 days?
Anonymous
November 2, 2012 5:19:58 PM

sam_p_lay said:

So not really free then? What happens after 30 days?

you can still use it
you just lose tech support
November 2, 2012 7:14:24 PM

Anonymous said:
you can still use it
you just lose tech support

Not bad! Wonder why they don't make that trial more easily accessible?
Anonymous
November 2, 2012 7:40:43 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Not bad! Wonder why they don't make that trial more easily accessible?

you need an account to track tech support.
it seem like RH like to track everything. its' also for RHN so you can monitor your systems remotely vie RH login.
November 9, 2012 5:25:36 PM

It does seem to be very much geared towards business use - specifically states that it's not for home desktop use and recommends Fedora instead, then requires you to enter company details if you want to proceed, and refuses to accept non-business email addresses for the activation (my @hotmail.com address didn't work, I expect Googlemail and Yahoo Mail would be the same). Did you just use a bunch of fake details and set up an account on a domain they haven't blacklisted?
Anonymous
November 9, 2012 5:27:49 PM

I singed up with gmail then switch it a fake .org account
November 9, 2012 5:29:42 PM

Seems like a lot of trouble :-) You don't like the buntus?
Anonymous
November 10, 2012 11:54:58 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Seems like a lot of trouble :-) You don't like the buntus?

not really
"You don't like the buntus?" ???
ubuntu?

if that is what you're asking, the ancer is a defendant NO
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest