Installing Ubuntu to the SSD in an Intel Ultrabook with Instant-On

apokluda

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Hi All,

I have a question about installing Ubuntu to the SSD of an Ultrabook with "instant on" feature and dual-booting Windows 7/Ubuntu.

The details:

I am a grad student and I have been given a new Asus UX32V Ultrabook to use to do my school work. The laptop technically belongs to the school and was setup by the school's IT department. Before giving it to me, the IT department re-imaged it with Windows 7 Enterprise and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS in a dual-boot configuration. The ultrabook contains a 500 GB HDD and a 25 GB SSD. The HDD has partitions for Windows, Ubuntu and a small "shared" partition. The SSD has a 4.00 GB partition and an 18.36 GB partition, neither of which are recognized by Windows Disk Management utility nor GParted in Ubuntu. The SSD is supposed to be reserved for the Ultrabook "instant on" feature. I can't find any settings to control this "instant on" feature in Windows.

First question: Are either or both of the 4 GB and 18 GB partitions on the SSD being used for the "instant on" feature? How can I tell?

Second question: I'd like to reinstall Ubuntu to the SSD. If I install Ubuntu to the 18 GB partition, will I mess up anything?

Thanks in advance!