Sign in with
Your question

No Linux Distro Will Install - No error, just blank screen

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
October 12, 2012 5:35:41 PM

For some reason, no linux distribution will install on my computer. I tried removing my raid to see if that was the issue.

I tried installing Ubuntu and Linux mint, and on Ubuntu I got a repeating curser flashing before the boot.

Mint will go to the splash screen, I click install, and it goes to a brown screen, then a black screen, it appears to be reading from the CD, but never does anything.

Debian got all the way to setting up the partitions, but it didn't like my raid.

What is the issue here? All of the hardware is working properly, and I have windows installed. This is a new homebuilt machine. I have a Ivy Bridge core i5 and I am trying to install the 64 bit version of these distros.

Any ideas? The memtest runs fine, as well as a hard drive test, and windows will install and work fine.

a b 5 Linux
October 12, 2012 9:13:23 PM

"I tried removing my raid to see if that was the issue."

RAID card or software RAID?

"Debian got all the way to setting up the partitions, but it didn't like my raid."

How can RAID have been removed when you say this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

We need more information as to your hardware.

But either RAID card or RAID software needs removal; if this means reinstalling Windows, then so be it. Are you willing to do this?

It could be that Linux recognized the card and not the hard drive it is attached to.
m
l
October 13, 2012 6:04:22 PM

chamaecyparis said:
"I tried removing my raid to see if that was the issue."

RAID card or software RAID?

"Debian got all the way to setting up the partitions, but it didn't like my raid."

How can RAID have been removed when you say this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

We need more information as to your hardware.

But either RAID card or RAID software needs removal; if this means reinstalling Windows, then so be it. Are you willing to do this?

It could be that Linux recognized the card and not the hard drive it is attached to.

I have a software raid set up via my motherboard. I disabled my raid only before trying to install linux mint yesterday. I have a SATA controller card that my cd rom drive is hooked up to, but I don't think that is causing the issue.

I am willing to reinstall windows, but windows is on my SSD, not my harddrives.

What other hardware information would be relevant?
m
l
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
October 13, 2012 6:29:14 PM

Onboard RAID is normally what is known as "fake RAID" and requires Windows drivers to work. In other words, it won't worksimply with Linux. Have a look, for example, at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_with_Fa... . It may, or may not, be possible to get your motherboard to work with Linux; and it may be that you need a kernel containing special drivers that are not present in a normal install kernel.

The best thing to do is to Google the name of your motherboard + Linux to see if anyone has any information about your particular setup.
m
l
October 13, 2012 8:02:27 PM

Ijack said:
Onboard RAID is normally what is known as "fake RAID" and requires Windows drivers to work. In other words, it won't worksimply with Linux. Have a look, for example, at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_with_Fa... . It may, or may not, be possible to get your motherboard to work with Linux; and it may be that you need a kernel containing special drivers that are not present in a normal install kernel.

The best thing to do is to Google the name of your motherboard + Linux to see if anyone has any information about your particular setup.

Ok thanks man, I will check it out. Do you think that this is the reason that I get a blank screen as soon as I hit install on linux mint?
m
l
a b 5 Linux
October 13, 2012 8:40:32 PM

I'd certainly think it's a distinct possibility. But if you Google, as suggested, I'd be surprised if you didn't get at least a few hits that might help you.
m
l
!