BigPinkMonkey

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I'm getting ready to order and I'm wondering if anyone as experience with open box items. I'm a little nervous to order core components like mobo, CPU and PSU for a new system with such a strict return policy. I'm afraid I won't be able to identify a problem quickly enough.

Am I being paranoid or should I take the savings?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I stay away from open box items. They're products that have been returned for whatever reason, but are still functional. More often then not, a person returns a component because there's something wrong with it. Granted, if it's for sale it's most likey fine, but still, you won't know until you receive the part. And if there IS something wrong with it you have to go through the whole return process, pay the shipping, the restocking fee (not sure if that applies to open box items), then there's the waiting for your refund so you can buy a new unit. It's just more trouble then it's worth IMO.

I would NEVER buy an open box cpu, who knows what the last owner did to it. Extreme temps, extreme voltage, insane oc'ing, the thing could be on th brink of death and nobody would know.