Lost dual boot when reistalled win 7

robert_in_ak

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I have windows7 and it worked great in dual boot with my Ubuntu Linux. I had it on dual boot for about6 months until my win7 crashed. I was able to save most of my file on Linux and I used it for the past week or so . I final was able to obtain a win7disk to reinstall. all was good until I tried to go into Linux and retrieve my windows flies, my dual boot was missing.I read about it on other forums but no results. I don't wanna lose my Linux because it has my important files on it. any other questions please feel free to email me at Robert.brown.ak@gmail.com

Do not fear! When you installed windows, its bootloader overwrite your linux bootloader, "GRUB".

you simply need to reinstall GRUB to your disk, this overwrites the windows bootloader with GRUB.
1.) grab your ubuntu livecd/liveusb and boot it.
2.) find out your drive name where you want to install GRUB to. (like /dev/sda or /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc) with this command:
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
3.) after you have determined the correct disk, install GRUB:
Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sd__
be sure to install it to root of the drive and not a partition. ie /dev/sda and not /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2
Thats all, it will install GRUB and *should* also find your windows installation and add it to the GRUB boot list. now reboot :)