Trying to install Win98 on new build to get to XP (problem)

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Here's my problem. I just finished helping my son build a new PC. We've been trying to save money, so I used an old hard drive and a DVD ROM that I had in a different PC. I also have an old Win98 disk and a XP SP2 Upgrade disk. I want to install 98 on the drive, then upgrade to XP. When boot the Win98 CD it asks if I want to launch the hard drive or the CD. I pick CD. Then it asks if I want to start Windows 98 from CD or hard drive. I pick CD. It then proceeds to tell me that it can't find CD ROM drivers, OEMCD001 and it can't find the Windows98 setup files. I can't figure out how to get around this. It doesn't help that it's late and I'm getting sleepy either.

Is there something I can do to get 98 installed on this pc? Oh, yeah, the prompt shows A:\ and if I type dir I get the contents of the CD.

Doesn't XP do what Windows 2000 does? Install from the upgrade disk and at some point it will ask for a disk (the Windows 98 one) to prove that you have the previous OS. You shouldn't need to actually install 98.

G

That's correct, ijack. Just boot from the Windows XP CD, format the hard drive and the installation program will ask for a CD with a previous version of Windows.

Grumpy