Sign in with
Your question

Problems trying to install Windows on my new rig

Last response: in Systems
May 26, 2007 12:40:46 AM

Hi, not sure if this is the best forum to post this in, but I got most of my advice for my build in here so figured SOMEBODY out there can help me.

My build:

AMD X2 3600+
Biostar Tforce 550 SE
EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 320
Maxtor 300gig SATA II HD
2gig Patriot PC6400
Antec 550 TruePowerTrio Power supply

Got everything assembled fine. Problem arose when trying to load up windows on my new hard drive (Vista). The Vista set up program started off fine, but while actually installing, it said "Some files couldn't be installed" and gave an error code.

After a few more tries w/ same result, I tried installing XP Pro. In the setup program, my 300gig NTFS formatted drive was listed as "unknown" format 120gig drive. Yada yada yada couldn't get XP installed.

When I put in my old IDE hard drive along w/ the SATA, for some reason I was able to install Vista on the SATA drive (booted up from CD, didn't run from the IDE drive). No idea why it magically worked this time. But upon removing the IDE drive the SATA drive doesn't boot.

Does any of this ring a bell to someone? I am getting very frustrated and would love some advice. I can provide more details if needed, and if I should move this to a diff. forum please lmk.
May 26, 2007 12:49:47 AM

Quote:
Hi, not sure if this is the best forum to post this in, but I got most of my advice for my build in here so figured SOMEBODY out there can help me.

My build:

AMD X2 3600+
Biostar Tforce 550 SE
EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 320
Maxtor 300gig SATA II HD
2gig Patriot PC6400
Antec 550 TruePowerTrio Power supply

Got everything assembled fine. Problem arose when trying to load up windows on my new hard drive (Vista). The Vista set up program started off fine, but while actually installing, it said "Some files couldn't be installed" and gave an error code.

After a few more tries w/ same result, I tried installing XP Pro. In the setup program, my 300gig NTFS formatted drive was listed as "unknown" format 120gig drive. Yada yada yada couldn't get XP installed.

When I put in my old IDE hard drive along w/ the SATA, for some reason I was able to install Vista on the SATA drive (booted up from CD, didn't run from the IDE drive). No idea why it magically worked this time. But upon removing the IDE drive the SATA drive doesn't boot.

Does any of this ring a bell to someone? I am getting very frustrated and would love some advice. I can provide more details if needed, and if I should move this to a diff. forum please lmk.

Try going into BIOS and setting the RAM voltage to mfg. specs. At least bump the RAM voltage a notch higher. In addition. you can try 1 DIMM in slot one only. If this doesn't help, I would look to the MB as a possible RMA candidate. Hope this solves your dilema.
May 26, 2007 1:53:43 AM

Is the SATA set in the correct position, is therea switch in BIOS to enable SATA/IDE? DVD SATA?
Related resources
!