Sign in with
Your question

Need some help with vid card/monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 26, 2007 1:17:02 AM

Just bought my first Nvidia card, 8800GTS 640mb, and i need some help. My CRT 22" is plugged into it using a VGA to DVI adaptor and I need to somehow program the card to shutoff the monitor when i shutdown my system. Currently the monitor goes into standby after i shutdown. I'm not familiar with Nvidia cards, may be someone can offer some tips?

More about : vid card monitor

May 26, 2007 12:34:22 PM

Is that even possible?? Did you have that working on your previous card or did the monitor get power from the system PSU. That's the only way i can imagine for it to work.
May 26, 2007 12:58:07 PM

I can't imagine that you're old video card functioned any differently. On both of my lcd's once the monitors detect no signal they go to standby.

Just out of interest I just turned off my computer and plugged my 22" Samsung into a power meter. After shutting off the computer the monitor after a few seconds dropped from 30 watts usage to 3 watts. Standby on my Samsung is indicated by the power led going from solid to flashing.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2007 1:19:29 PM

I thought that is what all monitors do (anyway, any made within the last 10 years or so) when you shut down your PC, go into standby mode?
May 26, 2007 3:41:27 PM

I couldn't get the monitor to shutoff with my previous video card either, i figured i'll be able to do it this time. Someone told me that it is possible to do, so thats why i asked. So i guess you are telling me that it can't be done?
May 26, 2007 9:30:51 PM

Not without serious soldering and modifications no. :wink:
May 26, 2007 10:37:47 PM

Like what? Can you tell me?
May 26, 2007 10:38:47 PM

Quote:
I couldn't get the monitor to shutoff with my previous video card either, i figured i'll be able to do it this time. Someone told me that it is possible to do, so thats why i asked. So i guess you are telling me that it can't be done?

what make and model is your montior?? I would have thought that its a normal thing for all monitors now days to go into standby when there is no signal.
May 26, 2007 10:43:28 PM

Theoretically, if you'd put a (heavy) relay between your monitor powercable and attach the signal side to a PSU power connector, as soon as you turn on the comp. it will send a signal to the relay anf turn on your monitor.
There are probably easier ways to do this and i'm no electrician, so this is one of those: don't try this at home kids.. kind of things :D 
May 26, 2007 10:44:41 PM

Standby yes, but he wants it to turn off completely.

Read previous post for instruction to burn your house down 8O
May 27, 2007 12:19:41 AM

It seems that this is more trouble than its worth. The people that sold me this monitor told that it is better to have it turned off with the rest of the system, this is why i brought it up. By the way, i have 22" SGI CRT, cant remember the model, but its made by Mitsubishi and is the equivalent of a Damond Pro 2070SB.
May 27, 2007 4:07:02 PM

Tell me again why you can't just press the power button? o.O
May 27, 2007 5:21:15 PM

where's the fun in that :wink:
!