guitarguy84

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008

So i will be able to buy this and install and use it on my PC with a provided registration key along with it, but I just wont be able to get direct support from Microsoft?

boinger88

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
So just to be clear;
With the retail version of Vista Ultimate x32 bit i can install it on my current system and extising motherboard.
BUT in the future when i up grade my motherboard will I be able to install that same copy of Vista using the same CD Key on my newly purchused mobo and it will work with no probloms??
But with the OEM Version it is tied to the motherboard. With no exceptions??

mrbobc

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
not necessarily. since 2006 ive rebuilt my system totally except for the HDD.

ive had 4 different gpu's, added ram and recently changed my mobo and cpu and the only trouble i had was with the mobo. when vista booted up i got a message saying this is not a genuine vista product....yada yada. i simply reactivated windows using the free phone number and the automated system and all was good again.

dont get me wrong, if you change components then reinstall vista for whatever reason, your will have to reactivate again but there wont be a problem. but if your just replacing parts without reinstalling nothing will happen except with the mobo as i already said.

i think the one component you cannot get away with changing is your HDD, ive heard many not ever being able to use their oems again because of this change.

all this was with one single oem version of vista home premium 32bit.

TRENDING THREADS