Couldn't delete an autorun.inf file

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i use a XP SP3.. n in my removable hdd automatically contain an 'autorun.inf'.
it emerge after i connect the hdd to my frens pcs.. n whenever i double-click each partition of the hdd, an autorun file is activated.

i looked up in my protected system files n found out that there is suspicious autorun.inf file show up as system files in each partition. but i knew there shouldn't be any info files, despite it is a system file. i think it also kind of virus jus it uses the standard autorun.inf for an info file, so that there is no any antivirus can detect it as a VIRUS.. emmmm... maybe

n it seems that i couldn't delete it even i(as the administrator) cannot get access to change the attributes in virtual DOS(command prompt - n i dunno how to get a real MS-DOS) n don say to del/ah/f @ del /a:h /f delete it. access is denied. access is denied...

i thought, could there be some code in vb @ in the machine code of the files that been added to make it a VERY protected by windows..

in 2nd thought, it was design in linux @ MAC so i thought i it can be deleted in another OS, another than windows la.

in 3rd thought, is him(my fren who the only one use a linux) at his room now.... later la... i'll go to his room another day... rather than losing my warm under my butt.. haha

in addition....

i am a very rookie in dis matter... please give a specific answer ok..;p

EdwinC

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
The simplest thing i've done in deleting autorun.inf in my portable harddrive with WINDOWS Vista
1. Disable the "Hide the System File/Folders."
2. select/highlight the "G:\AUTORUN.INF" [ G:\ = my portable HDD or USB ]
3. Right click then select "Take Ownership"
4. Delete the annoying "Autorun.Inf"
5. Delete the "Recycle Bin" inside $RECYCLE.BIN.

Thats it. Hehehehe....

proedros

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I don't think he has "Take Ownership" on vista if he didn't do the registry hack.
Another way is...
start-->run on the field type "cmd" (without the quotes)
the console will appear.
type "x:" where x is your removable hdd (without the quotes)
then type "ATTRIB Autorun.inf -H -S -R" (without the quotes)
then "Del autorun.inf" (without the quotes)
thats it!
make sure you don't have any virus left...
do that in any drive you have.

EdwinC

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I already did that ("ATTRIB Autorun.inf -H -S -R") but with No Effect. i cannot change the attributes.

sinSaTioN

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Hello. This is how I managed to remove this stubborn little worm. At first, I tried Eset's Smart Security. It did remove the autorun.inf but did not remove the recycler, so eventually, it did return.

It is VERY important that you have autorun disabled. You can use the msconfig utility but if you feel uncomfortable with that, you can use Tuneup Utilities. Here is how to disable autorun....

Click Start -> Run -> type "msconfig" -> click the Services tab -> and uncheck the selection called "Shell Hardware Detection". This will disable autoplay for not only all of your CD-ROM drives, but any other form of removable media (ie memory cards from your digital camera).

If you do not have autorun disabled, chances are great that your PC is already infected. I would advise backing up all of your data and then do a complete format of the hard drive. Followed by the reinstallation of Windows.

And now, back to how I removed this pest from my pen drive. :D

Okay, next I uninstalled Eset and tried the following other programs....PC Tools Antivirus, Comodo Internet Security, and avast Antivirus. avast was the only one that found it but could not remove either the recycler nor the autorun.inf after repeated delete attempts.

Surprisingly...or maybe not...Avira Antivir found and repaired the files after a scan. The next step involves copying all of the data to the hard drive EXCEPT for the recycler and autorun.inf. :non:

Finally, perform a complete (NOT a quick) format of the pen drive.

This worked for me and I learned a lesson on which antivirus is the best out there. I now use Antivir with Outpost firewall. ;)

Sinjid Fragmenteau

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I encountered the autorun.inf virus recently on all three of my flash drives and it was a ah heck to remove. I spent (literally) hours on Command Prompt trying to get rid of the ASHR on it. So I finally typed "edit e:\autorun.inf". I found that there was something called "RECYCLER\INFO.exe" that was re-SHR-ing autorun.inf every time that I un-SHR'd it. So, I bagan work on un-SHR-ing RECYCLER\INFO.exe. I would un-SHR it, but when I typed "del e:\recycler\info.exe" it would tell me the file was not found. I was pretty PO'd at this point, so I quit. Then today I had an idea. My mother is a teacher and the school district buys Macintosh computers. Macintosh computers (however lousy they may be) do not have the 'SH' possibility; so, I plugged in my flash drives and the autorun.inf and RECYCLER files popped right up. I deleted autorun.inf with ease, but it wouldn't let me delete RECYCLER. I deleted its contents. I then plugged my flash drives pack in the PC. IT WAS BACK!! So, I moved back to te mac and deleted autorun.inf and RECYCLER's contents again, but this time I made a file named "autorun.inf" and files inside RECYCLER named "desktop.ini" and "info.exe". I plugged my flash drives into the PC, the virus was gone because there were files by their name already, so they could not remake themselves by their appointed name. My problem was solved.

So here are the steps:
1 Plug your infected flashdrive into a Macintosh
2 delete autorun.inf and the files in RECYCLER or whatever your re-shr-er file is
3 make files with the deleted files' names in the same spots the original files were located (i.e. if the original virus path was e:\RECYCLER\ you would put the file with the virus' name in RECYCLER in drive e)
4 your problem is solved!

Gossip986

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
hey here is what you have to do : 1st enable the show hide option to see the hidden folder next to autorun.inf then delete the hidden folder, remove your flash disk, then reconnect it again right click on it and click format and VOILA! that's it. but first back-up all your information.

Status
Not open for further replies.