pemby

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
I have been loading Vista now for 3 days and it is still expanding files - 70% at the moment. It is a clean install on a 500gig sata drive. I don't want to stop it because it might take another 3 days if I haveto restart it. Motherboard is Gigabyte. Any Suggestions? Do I need to install sata drivers? How can I do that on a clean disk?

Thanks in advance for any help.

How can I do that on a clean disk?
What do you mean? Does your hard disk contain some old OS and you didn't erase existing partitions?

Can you provide a more detailed list of components? You don't need drivers, but you have a hardware issue that needs to be fixed. I would venture into saying that either your DVD-RW or hard disk are defective or you have a bad cable.

Yea, pull the plug on this and figure out what is wrong. Some quick and dirty things to try would be another DVD drive and/or another hard drive. My bet is try another DVD drive, preferably a basic old IDE drive. Make sure the controller is set to 'ide mode' in the BIOS until you sort this out. There are no drivers you should need just to install Vista so don't worry. When you do install drivers on an install they get installed into the RAM Drive created by the install program, not to the HD. And if they do get to the HD that would only be after the install routine copies them there.

pemby

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
All loaded now. I think it it was my DVD drive - I have 2 the same both LG. I put new sata cables onto the HD's
By clean disk I meant it was formatted. I was running Ubuntu and it crashed out badly so I decided to go back to Windows as I am just too damn old to mess wth these machines and their software!

So the disk was formatted back to NTFS I will load all my stuff now and see how it goes. I like Ubuntu but there are too many Windows programs that I like which I can't use properly with linux base - so - back to putting money in Bill's bank account.

Thanks for the help.