Ntfs.sys Stop 24 error

seko87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Hello, I am trying to fix a windows xp based computer after a dirty shutoff. Problem is that windows is giving me a stop 24 error that i've never encountered before. I'm not able to use XP cd because it crashes before it can fully load. I can't use recovery console because it crashes and gives the stop 24 error again. I've used knoppix live cd to boot and i can see the hdd and the files that i need to recover. However, i can't modify the drive whatsoever (copy/move etc) Has anyone had this problem before? I did a google search and others had this problem before but what worked for them unfortunately didn't work for me. Please help me out as the files i need to recover from this drive are very important.

G

As it happens I've just run this machine up after sorting this on it's C: partition.

Put it in another XP machine (either directly or via a USB adaptor), open a DOS window, run chkdsk X: /r where X: is the duff drive letter and let it get on with it.

If it's a big drive you'll have time to cook and eat a meal before it's done, as I did.

everthewatcher