Sign in with
Your question

XP running sluggish after disabling Marvell ethernet

Last response: in Systems
May 26, 2007 3:32:33 AM

Ok here is the situation. I have a gigabyte 965p s3 board that has an onboard nic that is not compatable with ubuntu 7.04. I am triple booting between vista, xp and ubuntu as well. I took an old NIC and installed today, and then was able to use that with my ubuntu install to get online. Everything worked fine, so I booted into xp and disabled the local area connection that the marvell controller uses. I then used xp for awhile before rebooting back into ubuntu to set up mythtv. While struggling to get that done I went back to xp to make sure my Hauppauge card was working right and everything was fine. Finished installing mythtv and when I went back to xp, everything is running extremely slow. XP will not even load all of the normal startup programs and just reboots after awhile. Any idea what is causing this? I saw somewhere last night that disabling the Marvell on a giabgyte board can cause XP to become sluggish, but can not find the document on the gigabyte website. Help Please

Posting from vista and it is doing fine as well. The partitions are set up as follows:
20GB XP
192 GB Data
2 GB Linux Swap
60 GB Linux
20 GB Vista
If that helps at all.
May 26, 2007 4:06:14 AM

Quote:
While struggling to get that done I went back to xp to make sure my Hauppauge card was working right and everything was fine. Finished installing mythtv and when I went back to xp, everything is running extremely slow. XP will not even load all of the normal startup programs and just reboots after awhile. Any idea what is causing this? I saw somewhere last night that disabling the Marvell on a giabgyte board can cause XP to become sluggish, but can not find the document on the gigabyte website. Help Please

Did you re-enable the NIC to see what happens?
May 26, 2007 4:43:36 AM

I can not even get windows xp to load to do that. XP takes about a minute to boot to the log on screen, then another minute to start loading and I get to where I can see the desktop but none of the services have loaded in the taskbar, and then it reboots after about two or three minutes. The whole time I can not do much. It was running fine until it became a little sluggish, I went to restart and it took forever to restart, and the problem has occured since then. I can still access the xp dir (C:)  on my partitions to get access to the files and defrag from within vista. What do you guys think?
Related resources
May 26, 2007 5:10:01 AM

If I read this right, you can access your XP drive via Vista... meaning your other O/S are running fine.
I don't know much about your MB but the problems you are experiencing are either hard drive or O/S related. See if you can boot in safe mode. Or, do a hard drive test.
May 26, 2007 5:22:38 AM

that is correct, vista can get to the C folder, which is XP drive. I had vista do a error check on that drive and it said that it corrected some errors. I am also defragging it right now and then will check it out. I do not think it is the hard drive as it seems to be running fine and has not be an issue before but how would I check to see if that is the cause? Also, how would I boot into safe mode? The vista loader appears and then I select previous version of windows and Xp loads. Is it F8 after I select the xp option (prev version...)?
May 26, 2007 5:32:14 AM

its either F8 or F5. I can never remember which one. My money's on F8.
And, your hard drive might have corrected some errors but that might have trashed some system files due to bad sectors. Run your defrag, try to boot in safe mode... if you can't do that, try to reload the O/S
May 26, 2007 5:33:29 AM

as far as testing the hard drive, you might have luck finding an app with the hard drive's vendor. Other than that, I am not familiar with other applications that test a hard drive's integrity
May 26, 2007 5:01:08 PM

yeah it did just that. Windows xp can not find a configuration file and will not boot now. How do you run the recovery mode from the xp disk? I know there is an automated system recovery option and a recovery console option. The console is command based though, so I do not know how to use it. Ulitmately I would like to get rid of XP and just have Vista and Ubuntu in a dual boot, but do not know if that is possible until I fix XP.
May 26, 2007 5:37:56 PM

You may want to do a complete reformat of your OS partitions. Just reinstall everything and get it working from scratch, that's what I'd do.
!