quake 1 on windows XP?

Sorry if this has been gone through before...

OK, I have my old Quake I disc and my PC running XP. I understand about
glquake and winquake running on XP, but how to get Quake I installed in the
first place? All I get is an error telling me that Quake won't run on
windows NT.

Thanks,
Steve
3 answers Last reply
More about quake windows

    Hi Steve,
    I'm running SP2 and I get no such error on installation. If you can get
    it installed, you want to use a source port such as FuhQuake, GLQuake or
    XQuake. Do a Google and you'll find them.

    G.

    In article <Nxn4e.17$d%.1@fe09.lga>, steve@nomail.sorry says...
    > Sorry if this has been gone through before...
    >
    > OK, I have my old Quake I disc and my PC running XP. I understand about
    > glquake and winquake running on XP, but how to get Quake I installed in the
    > first place? All I get is an error telling me that Quake won't run on
    > windows NT.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    Installation won't run? Or doesn't Quake run at the end of the
    installation?

    First issue: If you run the installation in win95 compability mode it
    should run fine.
    Second issue: It's not supposed to run. Thats what you use winquake or
    another port is for.
    --
    Regards, Ole C Brumm

    "Steve" <steve@nomail.sorry> wrote in message news:Nxn4e.17$d%.1@fe09.lga...
    > Sorry if this has been gone through before...
    >
    > OK, I have my old Quake I disc and my PC running XP. I understand about
    > glquake and winquake running on XP, but how to get Quake I installed in
    > the
    > first place? All I get is an error telling me that Quake won't run on
    > windows NT.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    If all else fails:

    Find a friend with Win 98 machine w/USB port.
    Install Quake on his machine.
    Add GL or Winquake update.
    Invest in one of those little USB drives for $30-$40 (handy device)
    Copy entire Quake folder(80-90 MG) to USB drive.
    Copy from USB drive to XP machine.
    Double click glquake.exe
    PLAY QUAKE!

Games Windows XP Video Games