quake 1 on windows XP?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 5, 2005 3:24:34 AM

Sorry if this has been gone through before...

OK, I have my old Quake I disc and my PC running XP. I understand about
glquake and winquake running on XP, but how to get Quake I installed in the
first place? All I get is an error telling me that Quake won't run on
windows NT.

Thanks,
Steve

More about : quake windows

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:49:09 AM

Hi Steve,
I'm running SP2 and I get no such error on installation. If you can get
it installed, you want to use a source port such as FuhQuake, GLQuake or
XQuake. Do a Google and you'll find them.

G.

"Steve" <steve@nomail.sorry> wrote in message news:Nxn4e.17$d%.1@fe09.lga...
> Sorry if this has been gone through before...
>
> OK, I have my old Quake I disc and my PC running XP. I understand about
> glquake and winquake running on XP, but how to get Quake I installed in
> the
> first place? All I get is an error telling me that Quake won't run on
> windows NT.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:30:14 AM

In article <Nxn4e.17$d%.1@fe09.lga>, steve@nomail.sorry says...
> Sorry if this has been gone through before...
>
> OK, I have my old Quake I disc and my PC running XP. I understand about
> glquake and winquake running on XP, but how to get Quake I installed in the
> first place? All I get is an error telling me that Quake won't run on
> windows NT.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Installation won't run? Or doesn't Quake run at the end of the
installation?

First issue: If you run the installation in win95 compability mode it
should run fine.
Second issue: It's not supposed to run. Thats what you use winquake or
another port is for.
--
Regards, Ole C Brumm
Anonymous

"Steve" <steve@nomail.sorry> wrote in message news:Nxn4e.17$d%.1@fe09.lga...
> Sorry if this has been gone through before...
>
> OK, I have my old Quake I disc and my PC running XP. I understand about
> glquake and winquake running on XP, but how to get Quake I installed in
> the
> first place? All I get is an error telling me that Quake won't run on
> windows NT.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

If all else fails:

Find a friend with Win 98 machine w/USB port.
Install Quake on his machine.
Add GL or Winquake update.
Invest in one of those little USB drives for $30-$40 (handy device)
Copy entire Quake folder(80-90 MG) to USB drive.
Copy from USB drive to XP machine.
Double click glquake.exe
PLAY QUAKE!