Help with changing setting from SATA 150 to SATA 300

ls_rsx87

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Hi, I was wondering if someone could please help me change the settings on my new hard drive. I have a Toshiba MK1637GSX with SATA 300 and I have a Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset. Please if someone could help me change these setting or let me know even if its possible I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Many SATA hard drives have a jumper that allows you to force SATA150 operation or allow SATA300 operation.

However, the documentation for this hard drive shows that it does not have this jumper. Therefore, this hard drive will negotiate with the computer when it powers on and determine what SATA speed to operate at.

Since this is a 2.5" hard drive I assume you're using it in a laptop. The laptop will therefore be responsible for negotiating with this hard drive to operate at SATA150 or SATA300 speed. There may be a setting in the system BIOS to force one speed or the other, but maybe not.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what speed is negotiated since the hard drive's maximum transfer rate does not even approach 150 MB/sec. Operating the interface at SATA300 will make no difference in the speed of the drive.