Logitech Z-5500 Speakers

bbsin26

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
i plan to buy the Z-5500 5.1 speakers from logitech. I hear it has great sound quality and is a good set. The only Con i know about is that the Sub Woofer is not magnetically shielded so i have to keep it away from my monitor and PC. My question is pretty much how far does the distance between the Sub and monitor + PC have to be???? or is there a way to shield it correctly without having to spend alot or go out of my way.?????

shaido7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
Hello,
I can tell you that my z5500 speakers kick major ass top of the line still if you ask me and a great low price to boot! I have my speaker on the floor aprox 1 foot from my case and i actually leave my case door off. I dont have any problems from the sub. Its up to you but im letting you know i have my sub close and i have 0 problems with noise.
I also have a thermaltake case with 7 fans plus a 120 mm cpu fan and the computer runs cooler with the cover of. the sound quality is fantastic...

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I can say this. I have the speakers and were right next to my brothers XBOX360 and I think that maybe just maybe the cranked up volumes over the year might have killed the 360 because obviously higher volumes bigger magnetic feild. But hey maybe it was just another faulty 360 (has had it replaced since "beta" version.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I own the Z5500... Other than the fact that the built in wall mounts suck the speakers sound great compared to most computer speakers. My tower sits about 2ft from the woofer with a desk between them. I set my router and modem on top and I have no problems.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Its a very nice system and I have enjoyed every moment of it. Don't worry about magnetic fields or whatnot, they arent strong enough to affect anything in your computer.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
anything more that 60cm away from a crt is enough, but with other electronics i wouldn't even bother, i've done more damage with my mobile phone than my speakers.

Fat4l1ty

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Its a very nice system and I have enjoyed every moment of it. Don't worry about magnetic fields or whatnot, they arent strong enough to affect anything in your computer.

Yup.., i agree, my subwoofer is just right under my desk, with my LCD monitor and PC. Unless you're using CRT monitor, if not, not to worry, everything is under your control. :D

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
My room is a mess

If you have the money and the room to put an extra dining table chair inside your room and sit on it then there is room for the subwoofer with in my opinion room for the heat.
The only problem then is finding where to put the damn satalites without drilling holes.

So if you canfit that chair in and have money you shouldnt hesitate. You will be boasting to everyone you know how mint your sound system is. Its arguably better than a cinema :D

JLewis187

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
thats pretty cool I was really worried about the subwoofer afecting my pc case, recently my computer kept glitching, but I think its because of my motherboard, I have my NT, HT voltages to high. P5n-D sucks get a evga 750i lol. Anywayz, thanks for this forum guys, put my mind at ease.

halcyon

Splendid
For what's provided and the sound the Z5500 is a fun set. Great for personal surround but I'd not try to irradiate a living room with them...they're too directional.

But they're economical and great for a PC setup, IMO.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
These speakers are like lasers, i have no idea why people find them so good. Their dispersion is quite frankly shocking, meaning they can't create a worthwhile soundstage and the quality of the sound they put out is distinctly low-end.

All these people that rave about how "good" these z5500s are really need to go and check out some real speakers.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Recommending good speakers entirely depends upon your budget. For around £500 you could get yourself some Tannoy SFX 5.1 and a decent receiver such as the Cambridge Audio 340R/540R

belo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Manual says 2'.

I've had these for about a week now. They're freaking awesome. Better than my htib 550watt phillips.

halcyon

Splendid
I finally replaced my Z-5500's sats. ...using the Polk RM95. Its a big difference. Though the original Z-5500's sats didn't sound bad they did not have good dispersion...very near-field with little mid-bass.

The RM95's (perhaps overkill, but hey) sound really good and blend just fin with the Z-5500's sub. Its too expensive and upgrade to recommend, but it really does sound nice, the RM95's ( http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=12700&i=107RM95B&tp=184 ) easily fill the room with great sound.