How futureproof is a new PSU?

Xerxes81

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Hi guys. I'm about to upgrade my PC and I will need a new PSU. I was thinking about getting a Corsair HX620W, since I've heard so much good stuff about it.

But the thing is, this is only a "temporary" upgrade - I will probably want to get the Intel Nehalem and whatever is the latest and greatest GFX card at the time. So my question is, how futureproof would the Corsair be? I don't want to shell out that much money now if there's a new standard or plug out in a year or two, which would render the Corsair useless for a new build (in 1-2 years).

Xerxes81

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Thanks, I'll check it out!

EDIT: What exactly does it mean - that current PSU's can't power the HD2900XT and beyond? Or is there some kind of adapter?

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Well there are a number of excellent PSU's to choose from that offer the pice 2.0, or 8pin connections. I recently purchased an enermax galaxy dxx 850watt, overkill for sure, but like you, i wanted to buy a futureproof power supply. Mpilch offer a reference of a tiered ranking of powersupplies. Anything on that list that says it is pcie2.0 complient offers the 8 pin connectors. These connectors can power 300watt gfx cards, given that power envelope and the trend to actually cut power use, theres a good chance you'll get like 6 or more years from a power supply. Here's a link to the list i mentioned. Take a look at this.

Hope that helps, the nice thing about PSU's is that a high quality one can outlast several builds and likely will only be upgraded due to wattage needed and not actual failure. Just some food for thought.

Current PSU's can power the 2900xt, however the 2900xt is the first to accept 8pin pci power connectors, so its a strong indication that future will not only recommend it, but require it.

Xerxes81

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
I've been looking at the Tier 1 and 2 PSU's and of those available in my area, only the Silverstones appear to have an 8-pin PCI-E connector.

So I'm thinking Silverstone OP650 or OP750 (don't want to pay extra for the modular DA series... can't even find DA650 here, although DA750 is available).

Decisions, decisions. :)

EDIT: I'm tempted to just get the Corsair HX520 and sell it off when I need a higher spec PSU. Because even if I get the Silverstone is there any guarantee that I can use it with the next generation CPU and GPU's?