Disfunctional Fan on Video Card!

NuNRG

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Hey guys,

Im not very good with computers so bare with me..

Recently I have been getting constant warnings that my video card (Radeon 9600) is overheating. I built this rig about 4 years ago and hadnt once cleaned the dust from the inside, so I figured that was the problem.

Well I have a version of this case:
D15-2026-main.jpg

And I cannot get the side with the window off, so I tried to get the opposite side off, I did that with ease and noticed that I was blocked by the wall in which all the hardware is attached to. Since I had no idea how I was going to clean the inside of the case I had to resort in cutting a hole in the window area of the case.. I know theres an easier way to access the inside but I couldnt for the life of me figure it out.

After I cleaned out the case and got rid of almost all the dust I booted up my computer and ran some video games to see if I was still getting the warnings. Sure enough I was.

After inspecting the fan on the botton of my video card I realized it was not moving while the computer was on. What can I do to get it running again? Note that I was unable to open the case to access the hardware (window side) and I had cleaned out almost all the dust. I used a compressed air can and blew it directly on the video card fan via the small hole I cut in the window, still no luck in getting it moving.

Thanks in advance for the help.

NuNRG

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
I was able to get the side off and I have access to the computer. Should I now remove the video card then take off the fan and install a new one? If possible can someone tell me how to remove the video card, I dont wanna break it.

Thanks.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
The card should be attached to the case by a screw. Unscrew it, and gently remove the card by pulling it straight out. You may have to wiggle it lengthwise to remove it, do it SLOWLY.

Check to see if you can remove the dust from the fan on the card. If you can, clean it as best you can and put it back in the computer. If it works, great. If not, you may need a new heatsink and fan setup.

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
i suppose you have an AGP card

if so when you remove the card the AGP slot has a kind of a 'button'
you have to press it in the same time you pull the card out of the AGP slot
give it a try it is not that difficult
but before that keep the computer running and look at the vga fan
if it is not spinning remove the card
if the fan is the culprit well you have to remove the fan and replace it
there are a few options ..my suggestion get the cheaper one because sooner or later you will upgrade that video card