Force ATT as default carrier?

Just moved to the Bay Area, and at my home I have very marginal (0-1
bar) signal with Cingular, but full (4 bars, even in the basement) with
ATT (presumably GSM 850). I can manually select the ATT network, but
it always goes back to Cingular after some time.

This is on an SonyEricsson T637.

--
To send email, remove the invalid and nospams.

In article <1gpz71s.spqejp1xsixrcN%md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid>,
md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid (Michael Diehr) wrote:

> Just moved to the Bay Area, and at my home I have very marginal (0-1
> bar) signal with Cingular, but full (4 bars, even in the basement) with
> ATT (presumably 850). I can manually select the ATT network, but
> it always goes back to Cingular after some time.
>
> This is on an SonyEricsson T637.

Lucky! You probably have an old SIM. Because the 64k new SIMs don't
allow you to manually change networks. I tested this with my new SIM
and my buddy's old PacBell PCS SIM. His you can switch. Mine you
kanna.

I think since these phones are Cingular programmed, they will hunt down
a Cingular signal, no matter how weak and stick with it. If there is NO
cingular signal, it will jump to ATT but if it gets even one bar on
cingular, it bounces back. Sometimes even during a call. I too have
weak cingular/strong ATT signal and I have to wait until the phone
switches over and then make calls in certain parts of my house.

I have a T637 as well and I am in the Richmond District. At least now
we can use the ATT network (which is GSM1900).

In <1gpz71s.spqejp1xsixrcN%md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid> on Thu, 6 Jan
2005 16:28:51 -0800, md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid (Michael Diehr) wrote:

>Just moved to the Bay Area, and at my home I have very marginal (0-1
>bar) signal with Cingular, but full (4 bars, even in the basement) with
>ATT (presumably GSM 850).

GSM 1900.

>I can manually select the ATT network, but
>it always goes back to Cingular after some time.
>
>This is on an SonyEricsson T637.

You would need a new phone and 64K SIM to solve this problem.

I dont think cingular SIMS will let you manually choose a network. So I
believe the answer to your question is no.

I have an old PacBell SIM and it allows me to choose networks, as well as my
old ATTWS SIM.

I think your only option is as other people have mentioned, get a new phone
that supports ENS with a 64k SIM.

Good luck.

In <gabley-AAD5AE.23055106012005@news.supernews.com> on Thu, 06 Jan 2005
23:05:52 -0800, Yazzan Gable <gabley@titans.org> wrote:

>In article <1gpz71s.spqejp1xsixrcN%md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid>,
> md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid (Michael Diehr) wrote:
>
>> Just moved to the Bay Area, and at my home I have very marginal (0-1
>> bar) signal with Cingular, but full (4 bars, even in the basement) with
>> ATT (presumably 850). I can manually select the ATT network, but
>> it always goes back to Cingular after some time.
>>
>> This is on an SonyEricsson T637.
>
>Lucky! You probably have an old SIM. Because the 64k new SIMs don't
>allow you to manually change networks. I tested this with my new SIM
>and my buddy's old PacBell PCS SIM. His you can switch. Mine you
>kanna.
>
>I think since these phones are Cingular programmed, they will hunt down
>a Cingular signal, no matter how weak and stick with it. If there is NO
>cingular signal, it will jump to ATT but if it gets even one bar on
>cingular, it bounces back. Sometimes even during a call. I too have
>weak cingular/strong ATT signal and I have to wait until the phone
>switches over and then make calls in certain parts of my house.

This is a function of standard GSM, not Cingular programming. A standard GSMJ
phone will always prefer the Home network given a "usable" signal even if the
non-Home signal is much better. The only way around this (other than Homing
on a different network) is Cingular's ENS, available on new phones with the
64K SIM, which treats both Cingular and ATTWS networks as Home.

"Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I dont think cingular SIMS will let you manually choose a network. So I
>believe the answer to your question is no.
>
> I think your only option is as other people have mentioned, get a new
> phone that supports ENS with a 64k SIM.
>
> Good luck.

I have a Nokia 6620 from Cingular, with a Cingular account. It was activated
in November. How can I tell if it has a 64k SIM? How can I tell if it's
configured with ENS?

If not, how do I ask Cingular to upgrade my SIM and turn ENS on?

Jim Burks

"Jim Burks" <jbburks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I dont think cingular SIMS will let you manually choose a network. So I
> >believe the answer to your question is no.
> >
> > I think your only option is as other people have mentioned, get a new
> > phone that supports ENS with a 64k SIM.
> >
> > Good luck.
>
> I have a Nokia 6620 from Cingular, with a Cingular account. It was
activated
> in November. How can I tell if it has a 64k SIM? How can I tell if it's
> configured with ENS?
>
> If not, how do I ask Cingular to upgrade my SIM and turn ENS on?

The SIM will say 64k on it.

You can not just turn ENS on.

--
SS

The phone has to support ENS. I dont know how to tell when phones do, but
my guess is the manual probably says something about it.

The SIM will say 64 on it.

"Jim Burks" <jbburks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I dont think cingular SIMS will let you manually choose a network. So I
>>believe the answer to your question is no.
>>
>> I think your only option is as other people have mentioned, get a new
>> phone that supports ENS with a 64k SIM.
>>
>> Good luck.
>
> I have a Nokia 6620 from Cingular, with a Cingular account. It was
> activated in November. How can I tell if it has a 64k SIM? How can I tell
> if it's configured with ENS?
>
> If not, how do I ask Cingular to upgrade my SIM and turn ENS on?
>
> Jim Burks

Interesting -- I just realized that I also have the ability to set
"Manual" instead of "Automatic" network selection. I did that, and then
picked ATT, and it's still locked onto ATT. Whereas when set to
Automatic, it would switch back to Cingular in a matter of minutes.

So, for me at least, problem seems to be solved somewhat by changing to
manual network selection.

FYI, though I purchased the T637 new from Cingular last year, the SIM is
fairly old (had it for 3 years perhaps?)

Halogen8 <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:

> I dont think cingular SIMS will let you manually choose a network. So I
> believe the answer to your question is no.
>
> I have an old PacBell SIM and it allows me to choose networks, as well as my
> old ATTWS SIM.
>
> I think your only option is as other people have mentioned, get a new phone
> that supports ENS with a 64k SIM.
>
> Good luck.
>

> "Michael Diehr" <md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > Just moved to the Bay Area, and at my home I have very marginal (0-1
> > bar) signal with Cingular, but full (4 bars, even in the basement) with
> > ATT (presumably GSM 850). I can manually select the ATT network, but
> > it always goes back to Cingular after some time.
> >
> > This is on an SonyEricsson T637.
> >

> > --
> > To send email, remove the invalid and nospams.

--
To send email, remove the invalid and nospams.

Consider yourself lucky -- my 5-month old Cingular SIM completely disables
network selection in my Sony Ericsson Z600.