List of Paramount HD DVDs:ugh!

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 11, 2005 12:39:52 AM

Paramount: Black Rain, Braveheart, Coach Carter, Elizabethtown, Forrest Gump,
Ghost, Grease, The Italian Job, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, The Manchurian
Candidate, Mission Impossible 2, Save the Last Dance, School of Rock, Sky
Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Sleepy Hollow, The SpongeBob Squarepants
Movie, Star Trek: First Contact, U2 Rattle & Hum, Vanilla Sky and We Were
Soldiers.

Warner: Above the Law, Alexander, Angels in America (HBO), Austin Powers:
International Man of Mystery (New Line), Batman Begins, Blade (New Line),
Catwoman, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Constantine, Contact, Dark City
(New Line), The Dukes of Hazzard, Eraser, Executive Decision, Final Destination
(New Line), Friday (New Line), From the Earth to the Moon (HBO), The Fugitive,
Gothika, Hard to Kill, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter
and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, House of
Wax (2005), The Last Samurai, The Mask (New Line), The Matrix, The Matrix
Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Maverick, Million Dollar Baby, The Music Man,
Mystic River, Next of Kin, North by Northwest, Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's
Twelve, Passenger 57, The Perfect Storm, The Phantom of the Opera (2004), The
Player (New Line), The Polar Express, Red Planet, Rush Hour (New Line), Se7en
(New Line), Soldier, The Sopranos (HBO), Spawn (New Line), Swordfish, Troy,
Under Siege, U.S. Marshals, and Wild Wild West.

Universal: The Bourne Supremacy, The Chronicles of Riddick, Van Helsing, Apollo
13, U-571, 12 Monkeys, Dune, The Thing, End of Days, Backdraft, Waterworld, The
Bone Collector, Spy Game, Pitch Black, Conan the Barbarian, and Dante's Peak.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:39:53 AM

"PNeski" <pneski@aol.com> wrote in message
> Paramount: Black Rain, Braveheart, Coach Carter, Elizabethtown, Forrest
> Gump,
> Ghost, Grease, The Italian Job, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, The Manchurian
> Candidate, Mission Impossible 2, Save the Last Dance, School of Rock, Sky
> Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Sleepy Hollow, The SpongeBob
> Squarepants
> Movie, Star Trek: First Contact, U2 Rattle & Hum, Vanilla Sky and We Were
> Soldiers.
>
> Warner: Above the Law, Alexander, Angels in America (HBO), Austin Powers:
> International Man of Mystery (New Line), Batman Begins, Blade (New Line),
> Catwoman, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Constantine, Contact, Dark
> City
> (New Line), The Dukes of Hazzard, Eraser, Executive Decision, Final
> Destination
> (New Line), Friday (New Line), From the Earth to the Moon (HBO), The
> Fugitive,
> Gothika, Hard to Kill, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter
> and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,
> House of
> Wax (2005), The Last Samurai, The Mask (New Line), The Matrix, The Matrix
> Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Maverick, Million Dollar Baby, The Music
> Man,
> Mystic River, Next of Kin, North by Northwest, Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's
> Twelve, Passenger 57, The Perfect Storm, The Phantom of the Opera (2004),
> The
> Player (New Line), The Polar Express, Red Planet, Rush Hour (New Line),
> Se7en
> (New Line), Soldier, The Sopranos (HBO), Spawn (New Line), Swordfish,
> Troy,
> Under Siege, U.S. Marshals, and Wild Wild West.
>
> Universal: The Bourne Supremacy, The Chronicles of Riddick, Van Helsing,
> Apollo
> 13, U-571, 12 Monkeys, Dune, The Thing, End of Days, Backdraft,
> Waterworld, The
> Bone Collector, Spy Game, Pitch Black, Conan the Barbarian, and Dante's
> Peak.

what? No Gigli?
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:39:53 AM

Universal's list is even worse than Paramount's.

Notice how many of the Warner movies listed are based on or inspired by
comic books?
January 11, 2005 12:39:53 AM

Which format will they use is a better question, and which one will become
THE standard?

"PNeski" <pneski@aol.com> wrote in message
> Paramount: Black Rain, Braveheart, Coach Carter, Elizabethtown, Forrest
Gump,
> Ghost, Grease, The Italian Job, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, The Manchurian
> Candidate, Mission Impossible 2, Save the Last Dance, School of Rock, Sky
> Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Sleepy Hollow, The SpongeBob
Squarepants
> Movie, Star Trek: First Contact, U2 Rattle & Hum, Vanilla Sky and We Were
> Soldiers.
>
> Warner: Above the Law, Alexander, Angels in America (HBO), Austin Powers:
> International Man of Mystery (New Line), Batman Begins, Blade (New Line),
> Catwoman, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Constantine, Contact, Dark
City
> (New Line), The Dukes of Hazzard, Eraser, Executive Decision, Final
Destination
> (New Line), Friday (New Line), From the Earth to the Moon (HBO), The
Fugitive,
> Gothika, Hard to Kill, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter
> and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,
House of
> Wax (2005), The Last Samurai, The Mask (New Line), The Matrix, The Matrix
> Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Maverick, Million Dollar Baby, The Music
Man,
> Mystic River, Next of Kin, North by Northwest, Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's
> Twelve, Passenger 57, The Perfect Storm, The Phantom of the Opera (2004),
The
> Player (New Line), The Polar Express, Red Planet, Rush Hour (New Line),
Se7en
> (New Line), Soldier, The Sopranos (HBO), Spawn (New Line), Swordfish,
Troy,
> Under Siege, U.S. Marshals, and Wild Wild West.
>
> Universal: The Bourne Supremacy, The Chronicles of Riddick, Van Helsing,
Apollo
> 13, U-571, 12 Monkeys, Dune, The Thing, End of Days, Backdraft,
Waterworld, The
> Bone Collector, Spy Game, Pitch Black, Conan the Barbarian, and Dante's
Peak.

January 11, 2005 2:10:46 PM

PNeski wrote:
> Paramount: Black Rain, Braveheart, Coach Carter, Elizabethtown,
Forrest Gump,
> Ghost, Grease, The Italian Job, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, The
Manchurian
> Candidate, Mission Impossible 2, Save the Last Dance, School of Rock,
Sky
> Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Sleepy Hollow, The SpongeBob
Squarepants
> Movie, Star Trek: First Contact, U2 Rattle & Hum, Vanilla Sky and We
Were
> Soldiers.
>
> Warner: Above the Law, Alexander, Angels in America (HBO), Austin
Powers:
> International Man of Mystery (New Line), Batman Begins, Blade (New
Line),
> Catwoman, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Constantine, Contact,
Dark City
> (New Line), The Dukes of Hazzard, Eraser, Executive Decision, Final
Destination
> (New Line), Friday (New Line), From the Earth to the Moon (HBO), The
Fugitive,
> Gothika, Hard to Kill, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry
Potter
> and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,
House of
> Wax (2005), The Last Samurai, The Mask (New Line), The Matrix, The
Matrix
> Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Maverick, Million Dollar Baby, The
Music Man,
> Mystic River, Next of Kin, North by Northwest, Ocean's Eleven,
Ocean's
> Twelve, Passenger 57, The Perfect Storm, The Phantom of the Opera
(2004), The
> Player (New Line), The Polar Express, Red Planet, Rush Hour (New
Line), Se7en
> (New Line), Soldier, The Sopranos (HBO), Spawn (New Line), Swordfish,
Troy,
> Under Siege, U.S. Marshals, and Wild Wild West.
>
> Universal: The Bourne Supremacy, The Chronicles of Riddick, Van
Helsing, Apollo
> 13, U-571, 12 Monkeys, Dune, The Thing, End of Days, Backdraft,
Waterworld, The
> Bone Collector, Spy Game, Pitch Black, Conan the Barbarian, and
Dante's Peak.

Source?

I'm not all that excited yet about HD-DVD/BlueRay. I'd like to see a
side by side comparison of a normal 480i DVD running progressive scan
into an HDTV along side an HD-DVD version of the same film. If I can't
see a signifigant difference I will pass.

Currently though upconversion, line doubling etc, my DVD movies look
excellent. There is only nominal difference (to the eyes) between HD
channels and DVD playback. I'm expecting this is because of the
upconversion being applied to the DVD feed and that the cable company
is compressing their HD channels. I understand HD-DVD will also use
compression, but hopefully it will exceed the quality of MPEG-2.
Regardless I have a good idea of what my set is capable of and I'm
usually unimpressed in HD show rooms so the wow factor on the show room
floor will likely win me over or lose me on HD-DVD.

I'm curious to see what additional features (aside from picture quality
enhancements) HD-DVD and BlueRay will offer.

It's too early to bet on one platform or the other. I think one HD-DVD
format would have a hard enough time competing against DVD, but two
standards is going to delay an adoption. Smart consumers will hold out,
those who don't stand to end up with a pile of worthlesss movies
(anyone remember Circut Cities DivX format? How about BetaMax?)
-Jeremy
http://hdtv.0catch.com
January 11, 2005 7:48:37 PM

>List of Paramount HD DVDs:ugh!
>Paramount: Black Rain, Braveheart, Coach Carter, Elizabethtown, Forrest Gump,
>Ghost, Grease, The Italian Job, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, The Manchurian
>Candidate, Mission Impossible 2, Save the Last Dance, School of Rock, Sky
>Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Sleepy Hollow, The SpongeBob Squarepants
>Movie, Star Trek: First Contact, U2 Rattle & Hum, Vanilla Sky and We Were
>Soldiers.
<snip>
Where did you get this list from?
Can you point others to a specific URL?
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 5:50:08 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:48:37 -0800, Abe <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Where did you get this list from?

There's a link up on some forum -- AVS, maybe? I can't remember where
I saw it.

>Can you point others to a specific URL?

It's pretty boring -- just lists, like posted here -- and in German.
But it's accurate information; it's a press release and not just some
guy's wish list.
!