Need a Wireless connection to reach 2 miles

bbrownderville

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Hi. I have been studing wifi connections here lately and it has got me thinking. I have knowledge of the stuff but i have never attempted anything like this before. Here is the story.
I have Dsl at my house which cost me about 30 bucks a month. My dad owns an automotive business about 2 miles from me. For buisnesses, dsl cost about 80 bucks a month. I am wanting to set up a connection between my house and his shop so that we can share internet. The delimma is that, there is no direct line of site as of now. I am thinking i can put a 25 foot anntenna on top of his metal building which is already 20-25 ft tall. then i can put a 25 foot antenna on the shop right behind my window in my house. this should eliminate a lot of the interference but i still dont know what equipment i should use or if this task is even able to be accomplished. I think if i get 20dbi gain antennas on both places it should be close to enough to get a connection. i dont need anything too great just something to get a 768 kbps connection to my dads shop. what other equipment should i need?

i know i need:
2 antennas
2 access points
2 routers
what else and does anybody have suggestions on all the parts?

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Well I've seen a couple setups before.... What I would experiment with is getting to Linksys or Buffalo Wireless routers that can run a 3rd Party firmware like DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com).... Put one at your house and one at your dads shop. Then look for some really cool high gain directional antenna's at www.wlanparts.com ...

With the routers and the dd-wrt firmware you can beef up the wattage in the router to help increase the signal, but don't increase it too much or it'll cause too much "noise" and dirty the signal. I've also seen some amplifiers that can also boost the signal from like 250mW to several Watts, but it may be against FCC regulations. I'm not sure at 2 miles how many watts or whatever you would need. You may not even need an amplifier if you have a good antenna and clear line of site.

There may be some sort of FAA regulations to putting a 25 foot antenna tower, or maybe it's not high enough for them to care. I'm not sure.

This would be a fun project to try.

There are tons of resources online to help get more details about this situation.