One more Windows XP Home question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

One more Windows XP Home question.

Every time I boot up Windows XP Home these warning boxes pop up from the
system tray telling me that "Automatic Update" is not turned on and "Resident
Shield" of my virus program is not active and when I connect to 'Net a box
pops up telling me what I am connected at. To get rid of them I have to
click of the "X" to close each which is a pain. How do I get rid of them in
the first place? I have the settings I want and would rather not change the
settings just to get rid of the popups!!

TIA

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Remove spam and junk to reply via e-mail.
More about windows home question
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    For the Automatic Updates and your Antivirus software, go to Control Panel, Security Center and click Change the way Security Center Alerts me.

    For the network connection balloon, leave it alone, it will go away by itself.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "whayface" <whayfacespam7770943@yahoojunk.com> wrote in message news:goale.2097$rk.758@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...

    > One more Windows XP Home question.
    >
    > Every time I boot up Windows XP Home these warning boxes pop up from the
    > system tray telling me that "Automatic Update" is not turned on and "Resident
    > Shield" of my virus program is not active and when I connect to 'Net a box
    > pops up telling me what I am connected at. To get rid of them I have to
    > click of the "X" to close each which is a pain. How do I get rid of them in
    > the first place? I have the settings I want and would rather not change the
    > settings just to get rid of the popups!!
    >
    > TIA

    > E-mail address altered to foil spam.
    > Remove spam and junk to reply via e-mail.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Thanks much.

    >For the Automatic Updates and your Antivirus software, go to Control Panel, Security Center and click Change the way Security Center Alerts me.
    >
    >For the network connection balloon, leave it alone, it will go away by itself.
    >

    >> One more Windows XP Home question.
    >>
    >> Every time I boot up Windows XP Home these warning boxes pop up from the
    >> system tray telling me that "Automatic Update" is not turned on and "Resident
    >> Shield" of my virus program is not active and when I connect to 'Net a box
    >> pops up telling me what I am connected at. To get rid of them I have to
    >> click of the "X" to close each which is a pain. How do I get rid of them in
    >> the first place? I have the settings I want and would rather not change the
    >> settings just to get rid of the popups!!
    >>
    >> TIA

    E-mail address altered to foil spam.
    Remove spam and junk to reply via e-mail.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I have owned my system for 15 months (XP Home, SP 2) and I still get the
    connection balloon with every connection. I'm usually patient, but how long
    does one usually have to wait for XP to decide that it can stop displaying
    this balloon? or is there another way?

    'Drew

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "whayface" <whayfacespam7770943@yahoojunk.com> wrote in message

    > One more Windows XP Home question.
    >
    > Every time I boot up Windows XP Home these warning boxes pop up from the
    > system tray telling me that "Automatic Update" is not turned on and
    > "Resident
    > Shield" of my virus program is not active and when I connect to 'Net a box
    > pops up telling me what I am connected at. To get rid of them I have to
    > click of the "X" to close each which is a pain. How do I get rid of them
    > in
    > the first place? I have the settings I want and would rather not change
    > the
    > settings just to get rid of the popups!!
    >
    > TIA

    > E-mail address altered to foil spam.
    > Remove spam and junk to reply via e-mail.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    It's 15 seconds or something like that.
    ""Drew Moreland" <drewmore@bogusmail.net> wrote in message
    > I have owned my system for 15 months (XP Home, SP 2) and I still get the
    > connection balloon with every connection. I'm usually patient, but how
    long
    > does one usually have to wait for XP to decide that it can stop displaying
    > this balloon? or is there another way?
    >
    > 'Drew
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > For the Automatic Updates and your Antivirus software, go to Control
    Panel,
    > Security Center and click Change the way Security Center Alerts me.
    >
    > For the network connection balloon, leave it alone, it will go away by
    > itself.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > Display\Security
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "whayface" <whayfacespam7770943@yahoojunk.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > One more Windows XP Home question.
    > >
    > > Every time I boot up Windows XP Home these warning boxes pop up from the
    > > system tray telling me that "Automatic Update" is not turned on and
    > > "Resident
    > > Shield" of my virus program is not active and when I connect to 'Net a
    box
    > > pops up telling me what I am connected at. To get rid of them I have to
    > > click of the "X" to close each which is a pain. How do I get rid of
    them
    > > in
    > > the first place? I have the settings I want and would rather not change
    > > the
    > > settings just to get rid of the popups!!
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >

    > > --
    > > *****************************************************
    > > E-mail address altered to foil spam.
    > > Remove spam and junk to reply via e-mail.
    > > *****************************************************

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Thanks, David.

    It takes my connection balloon 1 minute 30 seconds to disappear on its own.
    When Doug Knox wrote that it would go away by itself, I thought he was
    indicating that XP would eventually stop generating it, hence my question.
    I'll just keep closing it manually rather than let it clutter the corner of
    the screen for a minute and a half.

    'Drew

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > It's 15 seconds or something like that.
    > ""Drew Moreland" <drewmore@bogusmail.net> wrote in message
    >> I have owned my system for 15 months (XP Home, SP 2) and I still get the
    >> connection balloon with every connection. I'm usually patient, but how
    > long
    >> does one usually have to wait for XP to decide that it can stop
    >> displaying
    >> this balloon? or is there another way?
    >>
    >> 'Drew
    >>
    >> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> For the Automatic Updates and your Antivirus software, go to Control
    > Panel,
    >> Security Center and click Change the way Security Center Alerts me.
    >>
    >> For the network connection balloon, leave it alone, it will go away by
    >> itself.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    >> Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "whayface" <whayfacespam7770943@yahoojunk.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > One more Windows XP Home question.
    >> >
    >> > Every time I boot up Windows XP Home these warning boxes pop up from
    >> > the
    >> > system tray telling me that "Automatic Update" is not turned on and
    >> > "Resident
    >> > Shield" of my virus program is not active and when I connect to 'Net a
    > box
    >> > pops up telling me what I am connected at. To get rid of them I have
    >> > click of the "X" to close each which is a pain. How do I get rid of
    > them
    >> > in
    >> > the first place? I have the settings I want and would rather not
    >> > change
    >> > the
    >> > settings just to get rid of the popups!!
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > *****************************************************
    >> > E-mail address altered to foil spam.
    >> > Remove spam and junk to reply via e-mail.
    >> > *****************************************************

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    No, unfortunately, it won't stop doing it, on its own. You can turn them off, but it applies to all system tray icons, not just your internet connection.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307729
    HOW TO: Disable Notification Area Balloon Tips

    ""Drew Moreland" <drewmore@bogusmail.net> wrote in message news:%23M5D$QiYFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks, David.
    >
    > It takes my connection balloon 1 minute 30 seconds to disappear on its own.
    > When Doug Knox wrote that it would go away by itself, I thought he was
    > indicating that XP would eventually stop generating it, hence my question.
    > I'll just keep closing it manually rather than let it clutter the corner of
    > the screen for a minute and a half.
    >
    > 'Drew
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> It's 15 seconds or something like that.
    >> ""Drew Moreland" <drewmore@bogusmail.net> wrote in message
    >>> I have owned my system for 15 months (XP Home, SP 2) and I still get the
    >>> connection balloon with every connection. I'm usually patient, but how
    >> long
    >>> does one usually have to wait for XP to decide that it can stop
    >>> displaying
    >>> this balloon? or is there another way?
    >>>
    >>> 'Drew
    >>>
    >>> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> For the Automatic Updates and your Antivirus software, go to Control
    >> Panel,
    >>> Security Center and click Change the way Security Center Alerts me.
    >>>
    >>> For the network connection balloon, leave it alone, it will go away by
    >>> itself.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    >>> Display\Security
    >>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >>> http://www.dougknox.com
    >>> --------------------------------
    >>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    >>> --------------------------------
    >>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>>
    >>> "whayface" <whayfacespam7770943@yahoojunk.com> wrote in message

    >> box
    >> them

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I knew what you were thinking. I didn't time it as I'm too impatient. I
    thought 15 secs would change your interpretation of what Doug said.
    > Thanks, David.
    >
    > It takes my connection balloon 1 minute 30 seconds to disappear on its
    own.
    > When Doug Knox wrote that it would go away by itself, I thought he was
    > indicating that XP would eventually stop generating it, hence my question.
    > I'll just keep closing it manually rather than let it clutter the corner
    of
    > the screen for a minute and a half.
    >
    > 'Drew
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > > It's 15 seconds or something like that.
    > > ""Drew Moreland" <drewmore@bogusmail.net> wrote in message
    > >> I have owned my system for 15 months (XP Home, SP 2) and I still get
    the
    > >> connection balloon with every connection. I'm usually patient, but how
    > > long
    > >> does one usually have to wait for XP to decide that it can stop
    > >> displaying
    > >> this balloon? or is there another way?
    > >>
    > >> 'Drew
    > >>
    > >> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> For the Automatic Updates and your Antivirus software, go to Control
    > > Panel,
    > >> Security Center and click Change the way Security Center Alerts me.
    > >>
    > >> For the network connection balloon, leave it alone, it will go away by
    > >> itself.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > >> Display\Security
    > >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com
    > >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    > >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    > >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    > >>
    > >> "whayface" <whayfacespam7770943@yahoojunk.com> wrote in message

    > > box
    > > them