Errors when running Fedora 13 on Vmware 8 workstation

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I'm in my first Linux class in my bachelors program for Cyber-Security, in school they use Vmware 8 workstation. I always backup my stuff that I do in school using the Copy command to a portable hard drive so I always have an up to date version of what I'm doing in class in case something happens to the computer I use in class i always have the copy that has all my work in it.

So I have copis of linux fedora 13 on the protable har ddrive and I also have another partition for my server 2008 administration class. When I start up workstation 8 and then point to the server 2008 backup copy it runs fine, but when I try and point to the backup copy of fedora 13 I get all these errors, like kernel errors like:

Top error:
? printk +0xf/0x18
panic=0x39/0xec
do_exit +0x5d/0x615
? kmsg_dump 0xee/0x103
oops_end +0x99/0xa1

on down to

? kernel_init +0x0/0x1e8
kernel_thread_helper +0x6/0x10

And it won't power on without these errors then when i try to power it off and shut it down it takes forever?

I'm really new to linux and really don't like Virtual Machine so if someone can help me I'd appreciate it.

BTW, this IS NOT a school assignment, I want to use this at home so i can do and practice the labs that we have been assigned. As I said we have already installed linux on vmware at school, i just want to be able to practice using linux at home and do my homework.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I do have one more question:

Can I run the copy of fedora 13 that is installed at school on the schools vmware workstation 8 at home on vmware for windows? or do i have to install vmware for linux to run this? My thinking was for me to install vmware for linux I would have to already have linux installed at home to install the vmware version for linux? Hope this makes sense?

This is hard to follow. can you explain in more detail exactly what you are doing and what is not working?

did you copy the entire virtual disk .vmdk and that does not boot on your home pc?

btw fedora 13 is very old, EOL, it is no longer supported.

Can I run the copy of fedora 13 that is installed at school on the schools vmware workstation 8 at home on vmware for windows?
yes, use vmware player or virtualbox.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

Fedora 13 is what was in the book they had us buy, I have no idea about linux, as I said this is my first linux class and it's basically an introduction to linux, the command line, scripting etc...

In school we have an entire folder called fedora 13 that runs on Vmware workstation 8, I was told if I wanted to run it at home on vmware workstation 8 that I had to copy the entire folder which i backup after each class then when I run it thre first time at home I make sure to tell vmware it's been copied not moved or else there would be problems with mac id numbers etc and linux wouldn't run on vmware at home.

I did that and it still won't run as when i power on the the virtual machine that has linux in it it gives me a whole list of errors, some of which I listed.

shwamie

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013

shwamie

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
I too am having this problem, I will post a snip of the problem he and i are having, I'm having the exact same issue. I was at one time running my linux machine w/o problems, I then had a un-related issue which forced me to reboot my operating system, at which point it stopped working. If I try to create a new one I receive the same results.
Actually i cannot figure out how to post a picture in this thing. I just wanna upload the damn file and its asking for a URL, this is my first time posting on here.

TRENDING THREADS