What's your main Linux web browser?

What's your main Linux web browser?
12 answers Last reply
More about what main linux browser
  1. I've pretty much always used Firefox. I use it on my work machine, so I keep with it at home.
  2. dmroeder said:
    I've pretty much always used Firefox. I use it on my work machine, so I keep with it at home.

Is that for Firebug? You use Linux at work also?
  3. I don't know what Firebug is.

I wish, I have no choice but to use Windows at work. I don't mind it, but Linux is much more exciting for me. Mostly because there is so much to learn, I've been bored with Windows.

What about you?
  4. Same for me - Windows at work (Vista currently), though I'm fortunate to have a boss who would actually be OK with me running whatever on it. I've been happy enough with Vista though - runs smoothly and doesn't give me any problems. He's actually said I can buy a new machine on his card so it'll be a Windows 7 setup soon with Windows 8 (probably in a VM or possibly dual boot). We need to make sure our stuff runs fine in Windows 8/IE10 so it's a necessary purchase really. I'm thinking all-in-one, some of the Lenovo ones are pretty sweet :-) Long as it's got an SSD!

Firebug is a Firefox extension, a diagnostic tool for web developers to debug web pages, something most devs couldn't live without! Chrome has an equivalent built-in (as does IE9 and probably Opera too). When you said you choose Firefox for work, Firebug seemed like a good reason you might have chosen it :-)
  5. I use firefox, it came with linux mint 13, (new to linux) but i've almost always used firefox.
  6. meediaplus said:
    I use firefox, it came with linux mint 13, (new to linux) but i've almost always used firefox.

How are you finding Mint so far? Tried any other distributions yet? Mint was the first distribution I tried also. I remember being absolutely blown away by KDE, but really disappointed in the gliches/buggyness of Mint. I've found Bodhi and Ubuntu (and Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu) to be the least glitchy by far.
  7. sam_p_lay said:
    How are you finding Mint so far? Tried any other distributions yet? Mint was the first distribution I tried also. I remember being absolutely blown away by KDE, but really disappointed in the gliches/buggyness of Mint. I've found Bodhi and Ubuntu (and Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu) to be the least glitchy by far.

I really dig Mint KDE.

As of lately, I've used Ubuntu, Mint KDE and Mint Cinnamon. I had a lot of trouble getting Ubuntu installed, but liked it once I did. Apparently there was some issue with having a 7800GT video card and a Hauppauge HDR 1600 capture card. Later I moved to Mint Cinnamon and that was the least buggy of what I've tried. Mint KDE gave me some issues with wireless at first, but since I've gotten it sorted out, I really like it.

I tried Kubuntu briefly but had some initial problems with wireless. I didn't give it a fair shot because I wanted MythTV up and running. I may give it another try sometime. I almost went back to Ubuntu because I wanted in on the Steam client. I figured my chances were slim though.

A few years ago I tinkered with Fedora, Suse and Mandrake (now Mandriva I think). I'm a permanent Linux user at home now.
  8. What issues did you have? I had a hard time getting Xubuntu to install, just hung for hours during installation. I thought it had failed but some research revealed that sometimes it does just get stuck and you just need to leave it for a few hours. Strange, because the same version Kubuntu installed flawlessly.

I've had some graphics card issues too with most of the distributions I've tried actually. Because it's a dual-GPU card, it seems to confuse Linux. It typically picks up one GPU as the graphics card and tries to use the second as my default audio device. So my Linux installations are usually silent until I fix that :-)
  9. And again I am not able to vote. I use dwb as main browser.
  10. All hail Firefox. :3
  11. sam_p_lay said:
    What issues did you have? I had a hard time getting Xubuntu to install, just hung for hours during installation. I thought it had failed but some research revealed that sometimes it does just get stuck and you just need to leave it for a few hours. Strange, because the same version Kubuntu installed flawlessly.

I've had some graphics card issues too with most of the distributions I've tried actually. Because it's a dual-GPU card, it seems to confuse Linux. It typically picks up one GPU as the graphics card and tries to use the second as my default audio device. So my Linux installations are usually silent until I fix that :-)

I had trouble with wireless at first. I found a way from the command line to force it to scan hidden SSID's. I had to run it every time it wanted to connect to my network (reboots). I also had trouble getting MythTV up and running, which is the function of my Linux box. Someday I might go back and give it another whirl, I'm happy with Mint for now. I do like to try new distro's once in a while though.
  12. Same here, I'm looking forward to taking Debian 7 for a spin when the stable release is done :-) I think Chakra might be something special too in a couple of years. Still far too much unfinished at the moment, but I'll certainly revisit in 2014 (unless the Mayans were right of course). Wireless does seem to be the classic hardware difficulty in Linux. Most distros are fine with my adapter, though Arch was a mission. Actually, Gentoo I couldn't even get online with wired Internet. Linux does seem to require you to learn a bit more about the technical side of networking than Windows does (DNS/hosts/SSIDs/WEP/WPA etc). I never got my head around all that stuff.
Ask a new question

Read More

Web Browser Linux