ASUS P5B DELUXE PROBLEMS TO RECOGNIZE 4 GIGAS CORSAIR XMS2

luzck

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Hi I have this motherboard Asus P5B Deluxe whit the last Asus bios update.
and my actual processor is Intel Core2 Duo E6600 Conroe - Power Supply is topower 550 wts and blalblala..Actually I have installed this

4 gigas Corsair XMS2 DDR2 400 Mhz, 4 identical sticks of 1 giga each one,
and my motherboard only recognize 3008 gigas and Windows XP x32 only show me 2.93 gigas about all S.O limitations and blalbllaa...then I decides
set it on the "Memory Remapping" feature found in the Advanced/North Bridge Configuration menu of the BIOS and the motherboard show me
4008 gigas ram, but Windows XP x32 Service Pack 2 integrated show me only 2 gigas. Now I ask here to the people:

Whiout set on the North Bridge option motherboard recognize only 3008 gigas and Windows XP x32 show me 2.93 gigas, and when I set ON the
North Bridge settings motherboard show me 4008 but windows XP x.32 show me only 2 gigas. Any idea ?

And then in a friend mother Gigabyte P965 DS3 I install the 4 sticks of ram, and motherboard shown to use 4008 gigas and same Windows XP x32 Spack 2 shown in use 3.7 gigas of ram and work stable.

anyway....

smudgee

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
ive read a lot of similar things in the asus forum, things like..

only 2gb seen in bios until "memory mapping" feature is turned on.

Then when the memory mapping feature is on, vista 64 performs slow, or doesnt install, or the intgrtd sound /pci devices don't work etc etc.

not just with the deluxe, but alot of the p5b's.

I nearly ordered this board, now im waiting.

smudgee

luzck

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
thank you very much for your time ans for answer to me !
Listen Im softimage xsi user, I do 3d in a professional way, I need
power and 4 giga ram for a new project what I have. I ask you this

Some friend told me this " if you buy this mother Asus P5N E SLI or something you can install 4 gigas whiout problems and Intel Core2 Duo E6600 2.4 overclocked too 3.0 " What do you recommend for me ?

My goal for now is this, Install 4 gigas and Windows Xp x32 spack 2 at least recognize to me 3.2 gigas or something in a stable way..and then
when I finish the new project I will install x64...I wait for your advice..

bye bye and once again, thank you !

smudgee

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
luzck, hello fellow 3d worker.

Sorry my advice was not much good.

I think you should search for "3gb switch for xp", in google or somewhere, ..theres plenty of posts about it, .It will explain the limit of 32bit software.

example (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx)

One needs 64bit OS to use 4gb,.......BUT I just hope that doesnt complicate the matter..as I pointed out in previous post due to the motherboard issues that i saw on the asus forum.

good luck

fletch420

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
i have that board and I swer I remember there was even a bit about this in the owner's manual for that board. I'm at work or I'd look.
I also remember during my build a couple months ago there were some folks recommending running with just 3G until they got this ironed out as on most systems seems to boot up to 3g fine , just going to 4g is a problem for most.

good luck