Sign in with
Your question

Can a heat sink tower be attached to a vertical motherboard?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 26, 2007 4:22:25 PM

I was looking at getting a heat sink tower, (maybe this one: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/127438 )

However, the size and weight of these heat sinks look rather hefty, is it possible to attach them to the motherboard and to hold the motherboard up vertically like you would in a normal desktop case? Or because of the weight and size would the motherboard need to be laid down horizontally?

Any advice welcome, this is for an old computer hosting an AMD 3800+ X2, skt 939, looking to reduce the noise and temperature of the computer.
May 26, 2007 4:32:19 PM

All the tower-style heatsinks (including the Mine) are designed to mount on a motherboard that is vertical. Often the good heatsinks have a rear mounting plate and helps stabilize the weight when the case is vertical. I don't think the Mine does, but it will be ok. They don't have to lay flat horizontally in a case.

Not to worry, just don't go moving your case alot of being rough with it.

I'm not a big fan of the Scythe mounting system to be honest, so if you can find a different heatsink in your budget range, that might be a better option.

Can you provide a list of heatsinks that are available to you and in your budget range, and we can tell you the best one(s)?
May 26, 2007 4:35:41 PM

Thanks for the quick response, been having a nightmare trying to understand the pros and cons of each heat sink, without the money just to buy and try.

This is one worry out the way with :D 
Related resources
May 26, 2007 4:47:14 PM

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of the Scythe mounting system to be honest, so if you can find a different heatsink in your budget range, that might be a better option.

Can you provide a list of heatsinks that are available to you and in your budget range, and we can tell you the best one(s)?

To be honest, it's hard to find websites in the U.K with a good selection of heat sinks on them, especially high end ones. Anything not too much more than £30 I could probably justify, that includes not spending too much on a fan to go with it as well, so quickly looking at different sites this probably leaves open:

Scythe Katana 2
Zalman CNPS7000B-CU Super Flower
Scythe Mine Rev-B
OCZ Vindicator
Coolermaster GeminII RR-CCH-ANU2-GP
Zaward Slyphee
Akasa AK-921 Evo 98
Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Heatpipe (Fanless and not sure when it will next be in stock at that price [£32.08] http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(16213)Thermalright-Ultra120-CPU-Heatpipe-Heatsink.aspx )
May 26, 2007 5:41:05 PM

Apparently, the Enzotech Ultra-X trashes everything else.

Damned if I can find anywhere in the UK which sells it though. Even eBay doesn't have it. Might be worth waiting for though :wink: .
May 26, 2007 6:01:15 PM

Quote:
Apparently, the Enzotech Ultra-X trashes everything else.

Damned if I can find anywhere in the UK which sells it though. Even eBay doesn't have it. Might be worth waiting for though :wink: .

I can ship it from America, price + shipping = £50, I can probably get a Thermalright Ultra 120 + a very good fan for that sort of price. Bit of a shame.

You think it'll come out in the UK any time soon? PSUs, fans and heat sinks seem to take forever, if at all, come out in the UK :( 
May 26, 2007 6:04:01 PM

Of your posted list, the Thermalright Ultra 120 definitely beats everything else, hands down. Doesn't come with a fan though, so pick one that's either quiet or high-output, depending on your requirements.
May 26, 2007 7:05:12 PM

Quote:
Of your posted list, the Thermalright Ultra 120 definitely beats everything else, hands down. Doesn't come with a fan though, so pick one that's either quiet or high-output, depending on your requirements.

Well that's where it falls apart, neither, I'm not sure when microdirect will next have it in stock and the cost of a good fan would put it way out of my price range.
May 26, 2007 8:14:36 PM

3800 X2 does not require a high-end heatsink, you merely need something that uses a 92-120mm fan running at low RPM. In the US the most common value 'sink that would get this job done was an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, but really there are a ton of quality brands with copper base, heatpipes, and large low RPM fan that would be acceptible unless you are trying for a very extreme o'c or very high room ambient temp - in which case I suggest getting an air conditioner so the user is comfortable as well as the computer.
May 26, 2007 8:46:49 PM

Yeah?

I have it over clocked about 10% at the moment, running at 52C on full load which is all the time, was looking at perhaps pushing it to 20 - 25% if possible.

It has a really old stock fan, I got the 3800 X2 when it was first launched, so it looks about 6cm and produces a fair bit of noise.

You think this is will be good enough then: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/101471 ?
May 26, 2007 9:32:09 PM

Definitely good enough, I've used it (the socket 775 version) on a number of builds for friends. The fan at high isn't exactly quiet, but if you have the opportunity to put it on a fan controller then you'd be laughing.

But if you don't mind a bit of noise, then it's a great cooler. Definitely recommend it. A bit difficult to mount cuz you have to push hard on the pins, but other than that, very nice.....compact, quite lightweight, will cool your X2 without breaking a sweat.
May 26, 2007 9:34:53 PM

Well, I was kind of looking for something quite quiet, but I can control my CPU fan speed from speedfan no problem, but it would it be able to take 100% load on a mildly overclocked CPU without running at full speed?

P.S Much appreciate all this advice thanks :)  , struggle with getting good advice on cooling equipment vs. main computer parts like CPUs and graphics cards.
May 26, 2007 9:52:28 PM

On an X2, I highly doubt you'd need to run that heatsink at 100%. That heatsink is quite good and you'd just need to turn down the fan by maybe 50% to hit the quiet/performance sweet spot. It's a very good cooler.....I've used it for friends' builds and pushed their systems HARD. Got a 55% overclock on one without breaking a sweat. Temps went up maybe 5C, no big deal at all.
May 26, 2007 9:54:51 PM

:D  Right thanks a lot, big help, I'll buy that then.
!