File transfer from xp to vista via network

LouisM

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Hey guys... i was wondering if anyone could help me out here, ive searched on the microsoft website and other forums but im unable to come up with a clear answer...
I need to transfer a 6.7Gb file from my laptop that is running on win xp pro to my dekstop using vista biz 64bit.. i have tried to use the easy tranfer method in windows but have been unsuccesful (on the xp it doesnt seem to locate the desktop connection on the network... i know its there coz i can see it and have enabled everything to share... i think... and vice versa)
vista gives me a key/password to use when prompted by the xp version but that does not happen...
any help would be greatly appreciated here
Many thanks
Louis

Are both systems in the same Workgroup? From the laptop, you can open a connection to your desktop as follows (I presume that you didn't share a folder or hard disk):

\\my_desktop\c$ (or a share name if you created one) where my_desktop is the name of your desktop system and c$ is the default share name of the C: drive (use the letter that matches the disk where the file should be copied).

When the system requests a username and password, type "my_desktop\my_user" where you obviously have to know the name of your desktop system and your user name on that system. Then type the password and it should connect.

LouisM

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
thanks for the reply... but i finally figured it out.. quite simple really.. all i did was download easy file wizard transfer from the microsoft website for xp.. which is the same one that vista uses but xp compatible and hey presto it worked... learn something new everyday.. hope this helps someone in the future.