Size of vista partitions?

kslghost

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I asked this in new builds, as I am going to be building a single drive 640GB WD Black Caviar system, and am wondering how I should partition my drives. However, I am having some trouble getting some of my Vista specific questions answered, so I figured I would post a question here as well.

I understand that partitioning is not a real performance booster, but I like to do it to keep drives organized and defragmented better.

My question is how large does a Vista partition need to be? I did this for my XP machine and had 20GB set aside for my C: drive there.

I am also wondering where I should put my page file. Should it be on the system partition (C), or a different one, like the next partition.

Finally, will I notice any performance hits for partitioning into 4-5 separate volumes?

Vcious

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
i assume you want to have vista on c: and some other partitions for your programs??? in that case 20 gb would be enough. microsoft recommands 15gb but i assume it would be wise to have some extra space for future updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/system-requirements.aspx

about performance...hmm i think there is not goin to be any noticable improvement. if you want serious improvments go for RAID0 set up and use 10000rpm hdds

kslghost

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Thank you for the link. I have planned to put about 30gigs aside for the C: drive, just in case for some of the little things that end up throwing themselves onto that drive. I will then create a 10 gig partition specifically for a system page file, then pretty much split the last section into data/docus and games/programs.

This will prevent any page file corruption, and with 4 gigs of ram, it should hopefully not be writing too much into the page file anyway.

Thanks for the advice!

Zenthar

Distinguished
Depends on what you install on the C: drive. I usually install all my basic "workstation softwares" like AV, Office 2003, 7-Zip, ... the stuff I feel I absolutely need for my PC to work as a "tool". This setup currently takes about 23GB of my HD. Don't be too cheap on size or you will be cursing the WinSXS folder in no time (now >11GB on my machine after a year).