** Vista upgrade INSTALL question **

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadsheep

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
so, im doing a new build and dont want to pay and extra 100 bucks to get the retail version of vista home premium, but i want to install it as 64-bit and the upgrade disc is only 32-bit. if you want 64bit you have to buy another 10 dollar dvd from microsoft. so what im wondering is if there is a way to install off my friends vista ultimate disc to install 64-bit home premium...and then use my upgrade key to activate.

i also would like to know if it may be a better idea to get an oem version and how tough it is to get microsoft to allow another activation if i have a mobo failure...or upgrade.

another thing ive considered is running the windows 7 beta untill 7 is released, but im worried about compatibility with my games and programs. ive also heard that vista owners will be getting a deep discount on 7 when it comes out....SEE ALL THE FACTORS I HAVE TO THINK ABOUT?!?! someone help me please, what do you think i should do?

thanks,
deadsheep

Solution

Sulu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Out of 6 billion ppl maybe 2.5 or 3 bil are using pc, 95 % of them are probably on windows and 70% of them are bying windows for 3 $. I cant believe u people are giving all that cash for OS.

As far as I know the DVD Vista full installation disks have all the full versions on the disk, as far as accepting an upgrade disks key? I doubt it but you could try what do you have to loose.

As far as the OEM M/B failure question MSFT seems to be quite lenient, and so far the phone method seemingly the same as WinXP has been, is for the time being working.

Personally I don't mess with BETA software of any kind for your primary system, dual booting not caring of the results and problems is OK if you're a testing geek, but not as your primary OP/SYS.

Personally if you presently have WinXP just run it until Win7 is actually released, IMO Vista 32 runs just great the advantage over WinXP 32 is its ability to run DX10 in games, as far as Vista 64, to really perform well you need higher amounts of system memory in the 4G to 8G range, or Vista 64 runs like a crimped water hose.

The 32bit operating systems run great on 2G of system memory, since I began my Vista experience its been run Vista Ultimate 32, Home Premium 32, Home Premium 64, and now back to Home Premium 32 again, with dual booting WinXP Pro 32 using 2G of system memory, I catch myself using WinXP more than Vista, just because I have some older applications Vista won't run period, and I have no intentions of giving up using those apps I paid for.

Hope this helps your seek for info. Ryan

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.