How to install ubuntu?

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hi community,

I wanted to try Ubuntu. I just downloaded the iso file for ubuntu 12.10 64 bit, and burned it to a DVD+R disc. Currently, I have two hard drives, one is a SSD, where my Windows OS, programs are in there. Another one is a HDD, which is used to store my data. The question is, Can I make a partition in my HDD, and install Ubuntu on that new partition? Also, how do you install Ubuntu? Is it the same as windows? You restart the computer, put the Ubuntu installation disc, and follow the instructions? And, do you need to install drivers and such for Ubuntu? I would like to dual-boot on my system.

Solution
Well, Ubuntu has it's own partition editing system in the install process. Yes, you can dual boot and create a separate partition. But, all you have to do, is click install along side windows, and choose the partition size! Then your done.

{EDIT} Yes! The install is like Windows in some ways. However, being a Linux OS, which uses UNIX, there are extra things it asks for. Like what you want to name your Computer, your name, login, choose whether or not to encrypt your "Home" Folder. And, Ubuntu Linux CANNOT, and I repeat, CANNOT run Windows programs without W.I.N.E. or Wine Is Not an Emulator. WINE is a windows program loader. But, WINE is no longer supported. So, sadly, new programs will not be added, and, compatibility with WINE will...

spock9000

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Well, Ubuntu has it's own partition editing system in the install process. Yes, you can dual boot and create a separate partition. But, all you have to do, is click install along side windows, and choose the partition size! Then your done.

{EDIT} Yes! The install is like Windows in some ways. However, being a Linux OS, which uses UNIX, there are extra things it asks for. Like what you want to name your Computer, your name, login, choose whether or not to encrypt your "Home" Folder. And, Ubuntu Linux CANNOT, and I repeat, CANNOT run Windows programs without W.I.N.E. or Wine Is Not an Emulator. WINE is a windows program loader. But, WINE is no longer supported. So, sadly, new programs will not be added, and, compatibility with WINE will be tested when you try to install it. No extra drivers are needed. I hope I helped!

Solution

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Thanks for the tips. I might try Ubuntu later on if I want to.