aviator18z

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
So, the build itself went well. I connected the plugs and installed everything where I think it belongs. The problem arises when I go to boot the system. The systems starts fine, but nothing nothing comes through to the monitor. The fan on the GPU is turning so I know it is getting power. Just no visual. After around 30 seconds or so the motherboard beeps a pattern and I think it is trying to get me to do something. Any advice would be amazing! The only thing I can think of is the motherboard is not functioning properly, or I missed some connection, or the GPU isn't functioning properly. Thanks ahead of time.

System Specs
E6320
P5N-E SLi
2 Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400
EVGA 8800 GTS 320mb
680 watt Apevia PSU

So, the build itself went well. I connected the plugs and installed everything where I think it belongs. The problem arises when I go to boot the system. The systems starts fine, but nothing nothing comes through to the monitor. The fan on the GPU is turning so I know it is getting power. Just no visual. After around 30 seconds or so the motherboard beeps a pattern and I think it is trying to get me to do something. Any advice would be amazing! The only thing I can think of is the motherboard is not functioning properly, or I missed some connection, or the GPU isn't functioning properly. Thanks ahead of time.

System Specs
E6320
P5N-E SLi
2 Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400
EVGA 8800 GTS 320mb
680 watt Apevia PSU

Did you plug the 12v power connector from the power supply into the 8800GTS? Also, the 4/8 pin 12v CPU connector from the power supply to the MB? Check those two items.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
if it really takes 30 seconds to beep --- it could be that your heat sink isn't mounted properly and it is a thermal shut down --- does your CPU turn off after the beeps? Although it seems something is up with your vid card cause it should show something 'till it overheats...

that was only a thought because i've always had beeps almost instantly after powering up unless it was a thermal error.

if not, i'm not sure but i'm sure someone here will help you --- this site has been a great help to me

yes. the 4/8 connector and the GPU are fully powered.

Have you tried 1 DIMM of RAM in slot one only? Try the other DIMM if the first attempt doesn't get you into BIOS. You can also try unplugging everthing HD, fans, optical drives, floppy...everything except the video card, RAM and CPU plus CPU fan. Try booting with 1 DIMM RAM in slot 1 with only the video card, RAM and CPU/fan ONLY.

aviator18z

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Thanks for the advice. Sadly after unplugging everything and booting in a single DIMM configuration there is still no change. Both DIMMS proved equally useless. Computer powers on, but does not load BIOS, at least I visually cant see it load BIOS. I can't figure out if it is RAM issue or a GPU issue. I think the Motherboard and CPU are ok. The only evidence I have to support this claim is that the motherboard beeps during the boot process.

Thanks for the advice. Sadly after unplugging everything and booting in a single DIMM configuration there is still no change. Both DIMMS proved equally useless. Computer powers on, but does not load BIOS, at least I visually cant see it load BIOS. I can't figure out if it is RAM issue or a GPU issue. I think the Motherboard and CPU are ok. The only evidence I have to support this claim is that the motherboard beeps during the boot process.

You are getting an error message from your MB with the beeps. Are you sure you installed the CPU correctly? You can try and determine what the beepo code error is indicating. Maybe this will help.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

You might try resetting the CMOS jumper. Instructions are in your MB manual. be sure to remove the battery and unplug the PSU when you reset the jumper. If you can not get the system into BIOS RMAing the MB becomes an option.

zorlofe

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Do you know anybody that has some DDR2? If so try a stick of theirs and if you can get it to boot update the BIOS and set the memory timings manually to your memory. Turn the system off, pull the borrowed memory out and put a stick of yours back in to test. Don't forget to make sure you pull the plug when changing hardware. :wink: