Dual booting Windows 8 with Linux

spiphix

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
So I just bought a new laptop pre-loaded with windows 8. I've heard a few things that you can't dual boot with this OS and i'm a total rookie when it comes to BIOS etc. I was wanting to dual boot with Linux Mint. Is this possible? Or would the only way to do this be running linux from a flash drive? Thanks for any help.

Adam

Solution
Which Linux distribution do you want? Ubuntu is very easy to dual boot with Windows. All you have to do is have minimum two partitions on your hard drive. One should have Windows. Then go to ubuntu.com and download wubi.exe which is a small utility that automatically dual boots ubuntu with windows. Run the installation, let it download the disk image and select another partition to install ubuntu (not the same one as your windows install). Then let it install and when you restart your computer, ubuntu should appear with windows 7 in the boot manager. Each time you boot up, you shall then be able to select which OS you want to use.

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Which Linux distribution do you want? Ubuntu is very easy to dual boot with Windows. All you have to do is have minimum two partitions on your hard drive. One should have Windows. Then go to ubuntu.com and download wubi.exe which is a small utility that automatically dual boots ubuntu with windows. Run the installation, let it download the disk image and select another partition to install ubuntu (not the same one as your windows install). Then let it install and when you restart your computer, ubuntu should appear with windows 7 in the boot manager. Each time you boot up, you shall then be able to select which OS you want to use.

Solution

spiphix

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Ok thank you very much. I have been planning on using linux mint, however I was running into problems with using it with Windows 8. After a lot of problems I resorted to running linux from a flash drive when I want to use it, as I only need it for schooling purposes. Thanks for the help though, I plan on building a new PC soon and will use your advice for dual booting

tigerbalm_78

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
The solution offered here (related to Windows 7) is not consistent with the question (which was about Windows 8).

I really wish I knew how hostile and user unfriendly Microsoft Windows is before I bought this notebook with Windows 8 earlier this year - when I tried to dual boot Linux Mint, it crashed the system so badly that system restore (from the hard drive and 2 sets of DVDs one from the manufacturer) would not restore the system. I had to send it back to the factory. (Because of course, you can't just get a Windows CD anymore when you buy a system...) :non:

Sincerely hope the linux developers can figure this one out, and - BE WARNED Microsoft Windows is gettign more evil all the time! They've used their position to ensure I can't buy a new computer to use as a tool as I see fit - unless I just use their system.

Please stop drinking the cool-aid. Windows in no way prevents the user from installing a 3rd party OS on x86 machines.

Carma143

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
. Microsoft actually does restrict the use of other OSes with Windows 8. Instead of using the BIOS, it uses UEFI, something that Microsoft is starting to use in all Windows 8 pre installed computers. It sucks because it can take several days of work, instead of an hour, to put Linux onto your new computer.

Hi, none of this is true or accurate; please stop spreading FUD.

*yes, new windows 8 computers do use UEFI but that is not a restriction, it is an upgrade. UEFI is better than BIOS.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
To actually answer op query. Go to this link for some good info on the subject. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2088425

Yes you can install ubuntu side by side with 8, just not as automatic as before. In a nutshell you need to know if it is a pre-installed 8 or an upgrade. Apparently the upgrade still boots to the BIOS and the install is the same as before but if it is a pre-installed 8 then a little extra work, as detailed at the link, is needed but not too evil, just evil enough to discourage the average user.

TRENDING THREADS