Watercooling

Terabyte

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Hey, just want to ask some questions on watercooling for a new system I'm making.

Spec:
2 x western Digital Raptor
1 x C2D E6600
4 x Corsair XMS2 6400 (4Gb total)
1 x Asus Striker Extreme
1 x 8800 GTS

Firstly how much should you pay for a decent watercooling system.

Anybody recommend any particular kit?

I'm stumped when it comes to cases, I don't know how much room these things use up so can somebody recommend me a case to go with it?

Is it possible to watercool this graphics card? If so, is it easy to do?

Do the hard drives require cooling too? (I don't cool my current drives, but then again my current drives aren't raptors!).

How much power does such a system consume, and is this externally powered?

If it is externally powered, what happens if the fuse on the cooling kit blows, is there a safety device to shutdown the computer?

Thanks

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Decent WC systems that are powerful enough to cool your build start at around $200. If you're planning on oc'ing, $300.

Most kits suck, the only ones worth getting IMO are the ones that have been put together in kit form by other people to make the buying easier. Ok, that was a crappy description. I'm talking about something like this.

If you can afford it, Mountain Mods UFO cases are the best of the best when it comes to water cooling. That's what they where designed to be used for. They start at around $240 IIRC.

Yep, it's as simple as taking the stock hsf off the card, screwing the water block in place, and connecting the tubes.

Some people like to, but no, they don't. If they do run a little hot just stick a couple 120mm fans on top of 'em.

The only thing that needs power are the fans and the pump. The fans are just standard case fans, so they run off the psu. Some pumps are powered externally, but 90% of 'em get their power from the psu.