Solved

New cpu/mobo ... old Ubuntu 10.04LTS on HDD

Gents:

I pulled-the-trigger on new 1240.v2/MSI_z77A-gd55/sata-DVD/8x2gig Crucial hardware. Assembly and dry-boot completed outside legacy tower case so putzy 650w power supply can push new components and legacy gtx_9400. Ubuntu 10.04LTS is installed on the 200G legacy HDD that used to run the removed M2N/AMD_5400 system.

Does Linux care what CPU and Mobo provides "home"? After re-assembly can I expect **issues** when I boot? **FYI** This new hardware will provide my test system for "re-imaging(?)" a Linux operating system. Yes I have respected AMDgurls warning to leave my perfectly happy U-10.04LTS/AMD_965 system alone!
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mobo ubuntu 04lts
  1. Is it possible to translate that into English?
  2. Yes you might expect issues when running 10.04. It may not contain drivers for the new hardware.

Use the newest release, ubuntu 12.10 to avoid any issues...
  3. Hummm...

Any chance of ol' 10.04 damaging the new component hardware: CPU, mobo, DVD or RAM? That would stop-the-game right.now.

skittle said:
    Yes you might expect issues when running 10.04. It may not contain drivers for the new hardware.

Use the newest release, ubuntu 12.10 to avoid any issues...
  4. damaging components? unlikely.

however it is more likely that things will just not work correctly.

Just install 12.10 and not worry about it
  5. Thanks: I respect & appreciate your clear guidance. But damme ... I am curious, so I think I'll just wire up the sucker ... case open to let smoke escape ... and push the ON button. If the case ON-button works. Since my tower case is 2002 vintage its front panel wiring does not exactly match that of the MSI_gd55 wiring harness. But, I swapped a couple pins and got most "lanes" used ... still have dangling un-used front panel leads that say +/- 5 volts , but who knows? Still need to install the sata-DVD and fans ... yes I'm optimistic.

BTW: I would only swap to 12.04.1LTS for the short term. Blast off after lunch tomorrow.

skittle said:
    damaging components? unlikely.

however it is more likely that things will just not work correctly.

Just install 12.10 and not worry about it
  6. [ijack] Apologies for babble.

Situation is as follows: My production box is a robust and well_behaved U_10.04LTS/AMD_965 system. I depend for it for everything. The moderator of this group (AMD_gurl) suggested I **not** try upgrading such a useful & well-manned system. After some complaining I agree.

What to do? Answer. Leave #1 system alone! Upgrade my back-up seven (7) year old system with a new CPU, mobo, RAM and sata_DVD. I chose a moderate_cost, but high_value INTEL solution with Xenon CPU (1240.v2) and MSI_Z77A-gd55 mobo and a huge 16 gigs of crucial ram. Circuit simulations for my lectures justify such mixed-mode hardware & RAM extravagance.

Two items I do not touch because of expense: an 11 yo 19" LCD monitor and a GTX_9400 graphics card.

That said, a more complete agenda includes my experimenting with OS options other than Ubuntu. The Ubuntu/GNOME environs have got lots less friendly IMVHO over the last two years while my needs have expanded. I need a system affording low-risk experimentation and I picked prudent hardware for the task .

More clear?

Ijack said:
    Is it possible to translate that into English?
  7. WEll ... I got it mostly together and did boot. First to BIOS where **all** hardware appears to be recognized. I set boot-order CD/USB_key/HDD and set the sysfan temp at 55-C. Then save & EXIT; Ubuntu 10.04 came up properly and most system functions appear to work. Two items fail:

1) no CPU fan operation with a BIOS CPU_temp =72-C: rechecked fan connection and it seems fine.

2) no INTERNET connection with mobo ethernet port

Troubleshooting advice appreciated.
  8. Best answer
    ubuntu 10.04 probably does not contain the proper drivers for your motherboard.

Here is a link, use it.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
    If you don't care for unity, go try xubuntu, kubuntu or linux mint

If you are still confused: STOP USING 2 YEAR OLD UBUNTU ON NEW HARDWARE
  9. I doubt it will work, but there's no harm trying :).

Perhaps your efforts should be more directed to Ubuntu Server Edition 12.04 LTS + MATE desktop in place of Ubuntu 10.04.

Apart from that, recursive hardware support is pretty rare.
  10. I have done a couple tests that show Ubuntu is not **CLAIMING** the Ethernet port ... no drivers is a fair guess . So I have two choices:

1) DLoad a more modern Ubuntu, burn a DVD and install that OS in the new hardware hoping to pick-up MSI_gd55_eth hardware support. Since I update my systems promptly I am **shocked I say shocked** that the MSI_Z77A-gd55 is still not completely supported by Ubuntu. It's year old hardware!!

2) buy a NIC_card that fits in the new MSI mobo PCIe slots ( my old long PCI NIC_card does not!) and is supported by Ubuntu already.

3) ???

Good news is that after re-seating the CPU fan-cable pins the heatsink fan now spins happily away. I can't talk to anyone on the new system, but it will not vanish in a cloud of flames. I truly appreciate the advise and suggestions.

amdfangirl said:
    I doubt it will work, but there's no harm trying :).

Perhaps your efforts should be more directed to Ubuntu Server Edition 12.04 LTS + MATE desktop in place of Ubuntu 10.04.

Apart from that, recursive hardware support is pretty rare.
  11. More modern Ubuntu LiveDVD and see if it detects your ethernet.
  12. BigSK:

Your call was spot-on. Using your reference I DLoaded , burned .... and then installed U_12.04.1 in the new INTEL/MSI hardware. Automagically the mobo-eth internet connection **just worked**. Upgrades appeared and those + a few std_tools (RKHUNTER/CLAMAV etc...) have been brought over from the UBUNTU repos. Funny, OPERA does not seem to be on-da-list!

I can be optimistic as I add-back pieces of the older system (webcam/laserjet ...). The new Unity "face" of Ubuntu appears quite strange to me... strange, but not hostile. I figured to switch immediately to MATE, but Idunno now; I'll keep Unity around and see how my workflow and "discovery" progress. It's a long strange trip from my first sys ... an APPLE-2+ !

Thanks for your consideration, and straight-forward evaluation of my new-build ethernet problem ... brick walls are no fun. And many thanks also to our patient and persistent moderator Ms. AMD_gurl.

skittle said:
    ubuntu 10.04 probably does not contain the proper drivers for your motherboard.

Here is a link, use it.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
    If you don't care for unity, go try xubuntu, kubuntu or linux mint

If you are still confused: STOP USING 2 YEAR OLD UBUNTU ON NEW HARDWARE
  13. Best answer selected by nss000.
Ask a new question

Read More

Legacy