Who offers laptops/desktops w/o Windows preinstalled?

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I am in the market for a new laptop and it seems everyone wants you to have Windows 8 or you can pay extra for Windows 7 and no system is not even an option. I have zero desire to own Windows 8 but 7 would be OK as a dual boot option but I certainly don't want to pay extra for it nor pay microsoft for something that I'll be overwriting the day I get it. So, is there a secret site that Dell, ASUS, Lenovo or the others use for people like me? I just read here that sales of PCs are down 21% since the inception of Windows 8, maybe they could get them back up with a little Linux magic.

In the UK you can buy OS-free computers from Novatech. But, unfortunately, that is not a lot of use to you. You need to find a local supplier/assembler of computers. You are probably better placed to do this than anyone else on these forums.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Worse, I live in the middle of the DR Congo and am considered the computer guru here...that's how bad it is. :ange: Putting together a custom desktop not a bad option that I can handle but a DIY laptop? Can't see that as very economical.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Seems like the answer is basically no unless you are willing to accept a very tiny choice. Pity, Linux is about choices. I would have thought the manufacturers would make no OS an option now that Microsoft has decided to get into direct competition with it's hardware customers. Thanks for the suggestions, I did check them out but alas no gold to be found yet. I am curious about one thing though, AMDfangirl, did the potato survive that brutal attack in your avatar?

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

It's a cut and paste of the first answer to my original question above by Ijack.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

I was never so proud as the day I overheard one Congolese tell another that I wasn't crazy, just eccentric. Brought a tear to my eyes.