Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Who offers laptops/desktops w/o Windows preinstalled?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2012 10:07:54 AM

I am in the market for a new laptop and it seems everyone wants you to have Windows 8 or you can pay extra for Windows 7 and no system is not even an option. I have zero desire to own Windows 8 but 7 would be OK as a dual boot option but I certainly don't want to pay extra for it nor pay microsoft for something that I'll be overwriting the day I get it. So, is there a secret site that Dell, ASUS, Lenovo or the others use for people like me? I just read here that sales of PCs are down 21% since the inception of Windows 8, maybe they could get them back up with a little Linux magic.
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2012 10:48:41 AM

In the UK you can buy OS-free computers from Novatech. But, unfortunately, that is not a lot of use to you. You need to find a local supplier/assembler of computers. You are probably better placed to do this than anyone else on these forums.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2012 11:05:27 AM

Worse, I live in the middle of the DR Congo and am considered the computer guru here...that's how bad it is. :ange:  Putting together a custom desktop not a bad option that I can handle but a DIY laptop? Can't see that as very economical.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2012 11:16:04 AM

Try talking to Dell. Although they don't push it on their website, I believe they will supply to order laptops with Ubuntu installed. Lenovo used to do the same, so it may be worth contacting them too
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
November 30, 2012 12:42:14 PM

Ijack said:
Try talking to Dell. Although they don't push it on their website, I believe they will supply to order laptops with Ubuntu installed. Lenovo used to do the same, so it may be worth contacting them too

Except that Dell is pulling these kinds of shenanigans: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/linux-ultrabook-ubuntu...
m
l
November 30, 2012 3:07:05 PM

You can always get a computer built at your local store or try to get a Windows license refund by refusing the EULA and phoning Microsoft.
m
l
November 30, 2012 4:49:01 PM

What about a "Chomebook" laptop? They come with an OS but you are not really paying extra for it the way you are when you get a Windows license. You should be able to install Ubuntu or whatever.
m
l
November 30, 2012 5:30:58 PM

Very true. They supposedly work well. Beware of the ARM Samsung Chromebook.
m
l
a b D Laptop
December 10, 2012 11:03:59 AM

Seems like the answer is basically no unless you are willing to accept a very tiny choice. Pity, Linux is about choices. I would have thought the manufacturers would make no OS an option now that Microsoft has decided to get into direct competition with it's hardware customers. Thanks for the suggestions, I did check them out but alas no gold to be found yet. I am curious about one thing though, AMDfangirl, did the potato survive that brutal attack in your avatar?
m
l
December 10, 2012 1:40:54 PM

Just hugging the potato. Didn't attack it.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 16, 2012 2:58:24 AM

I think it's possible to order computer with custom parts. Maybe you could customize one without an OS. For all you know, you might get it for cheaper
m
l

Best solution

December 16, 2012 3:46:38 AM

Here are two companies that sell linux laptops and desktops only:

Zareason:
http://zareason.com/shop/home.php

System 76:
https://www.system76.com/

a b D Laptop
December 26, 2012 7:02:42 AM

Best answer selected by stillblue.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
April 16, 2013 3:00:21 AM

Hi there,

Please see the date of the last message in a thread before replying. It's against the forum rules to bump.

Just a note,
Stealthinator;)
m
l
April 16, 2013 4:38:00 AM

The Stealthinator said:
Hi there,

Please see the date of the last message in a thread before replying. It's against the forum rules to bump.

Just a note,
Stealthinator;)

That was actually a copy/paste of Ijack's response. Some kind of spambot?
m
l
April 16, 2013 4:45:23 AM

Granted his sig advertises MMORPG gold, I'd say that's an astute observation.
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2013 4:50:37 AM

See, now this is why I give kuddos to Sam, he potss things like that. Me, my mind wanders and I get to rambling on...
m
l
a b * Windows 8
April 16, 2013 7:11:04 AM

sam_p_lay said:

Copy/paste from where?? And where does ijack ever sign off "Stealthinator"? Some kind of spambot? :ange: 
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2013 7:39:27 AM

The Stealthinator said:
sam_p_lay said:

Copy/paste from where?? And where does ijack ever sign off "Stealthinator"? Some kind of spambot? :ange: 

It's a cut and paste of the first answer to my original question above by Ijack.

m
l
a b * Windows 8
April 16, 2013 7:41:59 AM

But i didn't even write what ijack did!! What is going on???
m
l
a b * Windows 8
April 16, 2013 7:44:09 AM

oh I get it! Is sam refering to the post above mine which was deleted by the user?

But he quoted me in his post? Ah well...
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2013 7:49:26 AM

The Stealthinator said:
oh I get it! Is sam refering to the post above mine which was deleted by the user?

But he quoted me in his post? Ah well...

Get that man a cigar!

(chocolate of course)

m
l
April 16, 2013 1:59:23 PM

Haha I thought Stealthinator was screwing around there :-) Stillblue, you're a gentleman. But don't underestimate the value of mind wondering/rambling.
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2013 12:46:26 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Haha I thought Stealthinator was screwing around there :-) Stillblue, you're a gentleman. But don't underestimate the value of mind wondering/rambling.

I was never so proud as the day I overheard one Congolese tell another that I wasn't crazy, just eccentric. Brought a tear to my eyes.

m
l
April 17, 2013 2:38:31 AM

This is driving me insane. I wish I knew how to close this thread xD.

/lazy
m
l
April 17, 2013 3:40:24 AM

amdfangirl said:
This is driving me insane. I wish I knew how to close this thread xD.

/lazy

Too late for that now. This thread has become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
April 24, 2013 1:44:30 AM

Your post doesn't make any sense... the link contains a virus!
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2013 6:12:14 AM

Stealthy one

Is spammer. Gone.
m
l
April 26, 2013 3:05:02 AM

He copied my sig :o 

How dare he...
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2013 3:31:46 AM

amdfangirl said:
He copied my sig :o 

How dare he...

Oh merde, does this mean I have to go back and delete every post I've made quoting your sig? I wound't want to offend you know. Especially someone from down under that probably carries a knife bigger than...

m
l
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2013 5:46:33 AM

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Just bask in the glory of it.

EDIT: The quote reminds me of a very smart man that I worked for once who had a heavy Russian accent. Apparently he heard with the same accent, because when 90 MHz processors came out he insisted on replacing our machines with ones that had "19 megagertz."

He was not ignorant at all.
m
l
!