PC continuously reboots!!!

galonzo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I have a Gateway 310 Series Desktop w/ Windows XP that i acquired thinking it would be a quick fix. Before I completely re-install the OS on it, I would like to receive any insight on what may be the issue here.

I proceed to power up the PC & get the initial manufacturer screen, then the Microsoft screen for about 5-10 seconds after just rebooting and continuing the cycle over & over again. I have tried booting up in "Safe mode", "Safe mode w/ networking", "Safe mode w/ command prompt", "Last known good configuration" & all other boot-up choices.

Basically, it will not let me boot up in any way available. Also, right before it reboots, a red light on the motherboard, flahses & then attempts to load Windows again. I tried reseatting(?) the memory, booting up w/ only one RAM stick, completely clean of dirt & dust & plug/unplug all other components.

I have searched for tips very vaguely & don't consider myself to be the most tech-savvy out there, but would like to know if anyone has experienced or would have any useable troubleshooting steps or answers to this issue.

Regards,

sturm

Splendid
Have you tried removing all unneeded expansion cards and unplugging the cd/dvd roms? Basically take it down to 1 hard drive, 1 memory, cpu and graphics card.
If that doesn't work then I would try a reinstall. If you still have problems then either something is up with the motherboard or the power supply.

lancelot123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I got a few things you can check.

Is the CPU and/or RAM overclocked in the BIOS? If so, reset back to normal. Person you got it from might have tinkered with it.

To find out if the RAM is bad, get this http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
Burn a bootable CD with it. It will automatically boot when it is in the drive and start for you. All you have to do is let it run for a good 24 hours to see if you get any errors. If you get any at any time, stop the program from running. Some of the RAM is bad. Try all sticks at once and remove one by one if you get an error to see which sticks are bad.

jason73

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
I would have to agree with lancelot, damage to Ram is normally the problem when windows keeps rebooting, I have seen this many times even on my own system,
So as he said try pulling one of the ram sticks out and booting up if you still have the same problem place that ram stick back in and remove the other or one of the others and so on, and try reboot again until you find the damaged one, if problem is still there its like looking for a needle in a hay stack, the list could go on as to what it could be.
Also try not using the same ram slot on the motherboard, one of my friends had this problem and is ram turned out to be ok, it was the the slot on the motherboard that was damged.