WTH: Issue with Video Controller for Biostar TA690G

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
ISSUE RESOLVED: BUILT A NEW RIG AND DITCHED THE CRIPPLED 690G CHIPSETS

I already installed the drivers from Ati - the 7.4 IGP, Gart, and SB600 Chipset drivers and still, Windows XP Pro 32-bit asks for "Video Controller" drivers.

Did I do something wrong or miss something in the BIOS cause I can't find any such drivers on Biostar's site and even other manufacturer sites.

Also, I'm using BIOS version R69AM516 that I found on some random link on the net - it updated everything as far as I know (even newer than Biostar.com's own BIOS....) and fixed my "BOOT DISK FAILURE..." so..... I'm at a loss at solving yet another problem...

I appreciate any help.

I already installed the drivers from Ati - the 7.4 IGP, Gart, and SB600 Chipset drivers and still, Windows XP Pro 32-bit asks for "Video Controller" drivers.

Did I do something wrong or miss something in the BIOS cause I can't find any such drivers on Biostar's site and even other manufacturer sites.

Also, I'm using BIOS version R69AM516 that I found on some random link on the net - it updated everything as far as I know (even newer than Biostar.com's own BIOS....) and fixed my "BOOT DISK FAILURE..." so..... I'm at a loss at solving yet another problem...

I appreciate any help.

Biostar TA690G mATX MB

It is likely your micro atx on board video controller driver is not installed. Try using your MB CD and from Device manager, install the on board video driver.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Will do once I reinstall Windows - the build just crashed again. The video went blank and installation of Windows updates ceased (HDD light stopped blinking and I still had like 30 more updates to go). (I just don't like installing outdated drivers and would've thought ATi's drivers would've installed it)

Maybe an update triggered a system error since this driver wasn't installed?

Shouldn't the ATi drivers from the website, however, install the necessary video controller drivers? I know that before installing the ATi drivers, I had two (2) "Video Controller" messages with one saying "VGA" Controller or something next to it. After installing the ATi drivers, the "VGA Controller" problem device disappeared, but the other "video controller" remained.

**I've run Memtest86 to verify RAM stability and ran Super PI 32M, which completed successfully.**

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Yes, I chose the individual packages to avoid CCC. I installed the SB drivers first and then rebooted before installing the GART and Display driver - although I don't think the chipset supports GART but anyway...

**I've actually now done this the 4th time...so perhaps I'm going insane? lol. Anyhow, I plan to just do CD drivers once Windows finishes in 20 minutes... Just too bad the Ebayer from whom I bought the 7950GT did not ship off the card because he assumed his parents did.... (sigh)

Yes, I chose the individual packages to avoid CCC. I installed the SB drivers first and then rebooted before installing the GART and Display driver - although I don't think the chipset supports GART but anyway...

I downloaded and installed similar chipset drivers from ATI for one of my micros a few weeks ago without incident. Maybe when you get the 7950, the problem will go away :D .

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Hopefully; if not, I don't know how I'm gonna get my Senior Project together - I need this up and running by next week Thursday, and I can't work on what I'm gonna demonstrate if I don't have a working computer! :x

Also, I've had problem after problem with this build; I've been working on it since late Thursday to midnight, 3PM yesterday to 2AM today, and since 11AM this morning!!!!

Hopefully; if not, I don't know how I'm gonna get my Senior Project together - I need this up and running by next week Thursday, and I can't work on what I'm gonna demonstrate if I don't have a working computer! :x

You might try uninstalling the video controller drivers you have now. Then try reinstalling eithr from the MB CD first, or again from the ATI website.

I'm thinking if from Device manager you can delete the current driver for the video controller. (I hope this doesn't permanently wreck getting back into windows). Then reboot. Then from device manager, put the MB CD in and manually install the video controller driver. Or you could just put the MB CD in and run chipset driver setup and installation again.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Ya, I'm gonna attempt a full fledge driver installation from only the CD in about 5 minutes after I install Net Framework (oh how I hate that stuff).

Could the other "video controller" I was seeing be the AVIVO stuff that was on the previous links?

I was thinking 'video controller' under Device Manager was you on board video controller. I'm not sure if the vivo program will show up in Device manager. Hopefully by using the MB CD and the chipset driver from there you can solve the problem. I'm wondering what will happen when you install the 7950? The BIOS will pick up the video card and use it as the primary. be interesting to see what becomes of the onboard video controller error in Device Manager.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
If anything, I'll disable the onboard video via the BIOS. In the past, I have built systems strictly from Nvidia based boards - that made life SOO MUCH EASIER! LOL. I just had to download one package for my dad's 6100 based MB and I was good.

I'll let you know what happens in a couple minutes after I reboot.

Maybe the "video controller" is a result of the ATI chipset drivers you installed from ati.com? YYou could go to add/remove programs and remove that 1200/1250 driver, then use the MB driver to reinstall.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
No, I just reformatted and did another new, fresh installation of Windows and did NOT install drivers from the net before CD driver installation....

**AVIVO codecs did not work either...

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I'm only familiar with Sisoft Sandra - but I don't see what use they will be as I know what MB I have and what drivers I've installed.

Links would be appreciated to Everest as I don't know what it is.