Mouse problem

Hi.. my mouse freezes momentarily.. at least 60 or more times a day.. I went
to hardware devices and it says the mouse is working ok... I replaced the
mouse.. and it (Microsoft Intellimouse) is doing the same thing.. very
frustrating! I ran Aida32 and it shows a yellow x under display/

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 although this could be a separate
problem.. I'm hoping someone knows what the problem is... I have asked in
other newsgroups and get no answer... thanks Rainy
5 answers Last reply
More about mouse problem

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 06:55:59 -0500, Rainy wrote:

    > Hi.. my mouse freezes momentarily.. at least 60 or more times a day.. I went
    > to hardware devices and it says the mouse is working ok... I replaced the
    > mouse.. and it (Microsoft Intellimouse) is doing the same thing.. very
    > frustrating! I ran Aida32 and it shows a yellow x under display/
    >
    > 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 although this could be a separate
    > problem.. I'm hoping someone knows what the problem is... I have asked in
    > other newsgroups and get no answer... thanks Rainy

    Actually the problem might be related. The mouse driver and the display
    driver could be warring over which will controlling the cursor.

    It's also possible that a legitimate program is overly active checking for
    updates or info. Or it could be some type of malware. Review auto-update
    settings for the programs that are running and for programs allowed to run
    in the background. Also, run a fully system scan with an antivirus program
    and with an anti-spyware program such as AdAware.

    Suggestions for the driver angle of the problem:
    -Check for updated drivers for both the mouse and for the display adapter.
    Install if available.

    -Open System Properties> Advanced> Performance> Settings> Visual Effects.
    Move radio dot to "adjust for best performance" or use "custom" and uncheck
    enough effects that the mouse cursor problem is lessened or eliminated.

    -Adjust hardware acceleration: right click the desktop and choose
    Properties. On the screen that appears, click Advanced (one of the tabs)
    and then Settings. Next screen, click Advanced again and then move the
    hardware accelerator slider down a notch or two. OK your way back to the
    desktop and test to see if problem went away.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi Sharon.. thanks sooo much.. I followed most of your suggestions... and so
    far the mouse is acting like a mouse... :) !!!!

    I run AVG every night, and spybot and adaware 3 times a week.. so I was
    pretty sure it wasn't malware.. or virus .. although you never can be sure..
    so ran spybot just to be sure.. it's a bit faster than adaware is why.

    I adjusted for best performance in visual effects
    and lowered hardware acceleration a notch

    Could you possibly find me the driver (a link) for the "3D Accelerator
    nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200" I have done many searches and there are so many
    different ones to click on, I don't know which one is right :(

    Thanks your response was one of the most definitive responses I have ever
    received in a tech group... I give you 5 STARS!! The mouse is acting just
    fine...

    thanks again.. Rainy

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:02:19 -0500, Rainy wrote:

    > Hi Sharon.. thanks sooo much.. I followed most of your suggestions... and so
    > far the mouse is acting like a mouse... :) !!!!
    >
    > I run AVG every night, and spybot and adaware 3 times a week.. so I was
    > pretty sure it wasn't malware.. or virus .. although you never can be sure..
    > so ran spybot just to be sure.. it's a bit faster than adaware is why.
    >
    > I adjusted for best performance in visual effects
    > and lowered hardware acceleration a notch
    >
    > Could you possibly find me the driver (a link) for the "3D Accelerator
    > nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200" I have done many searches and there are so many
    > different ones to click on, I don't know which one is right :(
    >
    > Thanks your response was one of the most definitive responses I have ever
    > received in a tech group... I give you 5 STARS!! The mouse is acting just
    > fine...
    >
    > thanks again.. Rainy

    You're welcome, Rainy and thank you for the kind comments.

    Have you tried the nVidia website for drivers?

    If I fill out the form on that page for your card for non-beta drivers, it
    goes here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

    Hope this helps,
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi Again..

    thanks for the link.. although I still have the yellow X.. I sure don't
    understand.. Rainy

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:48:51 -0500, Rainy wrote:

    > Hi Again..
    >
    > thanks for the link.. although I still have the yellow X.. I sure don't
    > understand.. Rainy

    Ok, then. Take another tack. Looking at the support page at nVidia's site,
    they don't provide technical support for anything but the DVD decoder. All
    other support comes from the partner that packaged and sold their card.
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/partner_support.html

    Sometimes hardware OEMs will tweak a base product so following up with them
    is preferable. Updates, including drivers, may match the ones at the nVidia
    site or they may be slightly adapted to accommodate their product. When
    following up with these partners and besides checking for drivers with
    them, check their site for tech support options: online documentation, live
    or email support and for technical forums. Hopefully they can guide you
    through getting the yellow mark removed from Device Manager for your
    hardware.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User