rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

Hi.. my mouse freezes momentarily.. at least 60 or more times a day.. I went
to hardware devices and it says the mouse is working ok... I replaced the
mouse.. and it (Microsoft Intellimouse) is doing the same thing.. very
frustrating! I ran Aida32 and it shows a yellow x under display/

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 although this could be a separate
problem.. I'm hoping someone knows what the problem is... I have asked in
other newsgroups and get no answer... thanks Rainy

On Thu, 26 May 2005 06:55:59 -0500, Rainy wrote:

> Hi.. my mouse freezes momentarily.. at least 60 or more times a day.. I went
> to hardware devices and it says the mouse is working ok... I replaced the
> mouse.. and it (Microsoft Intellimouse) is doing the same thing.. very
> frustrating! I ran Aida32 and it shows a yellow x under display/
>
> 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 although this could be a separate
> problem.. I'm hoping someone knows what the problem is... I have asked in
> other newsgroups and get no answer... thanks Rainy

Actually the problem might be related. The mouse driver and the display
driver could be warring over which will controlling the cursor.

It's also possible that a legitimate program is overly active checking for
updates or info. Or it could be some type of malware. Review auto-update
settings for the programs that are running and for programs allowed to run
in the background. Also, run a fully system scan with an antivirus program
and with an anti-spyware program such as AdAware.

Suggestions for the driver angle of the problem:
-Check for updated drivers for both the mouse and for the display adapter.
Install if available.

-Open System Properties> Advanced> Performance> Settings> Visual Effects.
Move radio dot to "adjust for best performance" or use "custom" and uncheck
enough effects that the mouse cursor problem is lessened or eliminated.

-Adjust hardware acceleration: right click the desktop and choose
Properties. On the screen that appears, click Advanced (one of the tabs)
and then Settings. Next screen, click Advanced again and then move the
hardware accelerator slider down a notch or two. OK your way back to the
desktop and test to see if problem went away.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

Hi Sharon.. thanks sooo much.. I followed most of your suggestions... and so
far the mouse is acting like a mouse... :) !!!!

I run AVG every night, and spybot and adaware 3 times a week.. so I was
pretty sure it wasn't malware.. or virus .. although you never can be sure..
so ran spybot just to be sure.. it's a bit faster than adaware is why.

I adjusted for best performance in visual effects
and lowered hardware acceleration a notch

Could you possibly find me the driver (a link) for the "3D Accelerator
nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200" I have done many searches and there are so many
different ones to click on, I don't know which one is right :(

Thanks your response was one of the most definitive responses I have ever
received in a tech group... I give you 5 STARS!! The mouse is acting just
fine...

thanks again.. Rainy

On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:02:19 -0500, Rainy wrote:

> Hi Sharon.. thanks sooo much.. I followed most of your suggestions... and so
> far the mouse is acting like a mouse... :) !!!!
>
> I run AVG every night, and spybot and adaware 3 times a week.. so I was
> pretty sure it wasn't malware.. or virus .. although you never can be sure..
> so ran spybot just to be sure.. it's a bit faster than adaware is why.
>
> I adjusted for best performance in visual effects
> and lowered hardware acceleration a notch
>
> Could you possibly find me the driver (a link) for the "3D Accelerator
> nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200" I have done many searches and there are so many
> different ones to click on, I don't know which one is right :(
>
> Thanks your response was one of the most definitive responses I have ever
> received in a tech group... I give you 5 STARS!! The mouse is acting just
> fine...
>
> thanks again.. Rainy

You're welcome, Rainy and thank you for the kind comments.

Have you tried the nVidia website for drivers?

If I fill out the form on that page for your card for non-beta drivers, it
goes here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

Hope this helps,
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

Hi Again..

thanks for the link.. although I still have the yellow X.. I sure don't
understand.. Rainy

On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:48:51 -0500, Rainy wrote:

> Hi Again..
>
> thanks for the link.. although I still have the yellow X.. I sure don't
> understand.. Rainy

Ok, then. Take another tack. Looking at the support page at nVidia's site,
they don't provide technical support for anything but the DVD decoder. All
other support comes from the partner that packaged and sold their card.
http://www.nvidia.com/page/partner_support.html

Sometimes hardware OEMs will tweak a base product so following up with them
is preferable. Updates, including drivers, may match the ones at the nVidia
site or they may be slightly adapted to accommodate their product. When
following up with these partners and besides checking for drivers with
them, check their site for tech support options: online documentation, live
or email support and for technical forums. Hopefully they can guide you
through getting the yellow mark removed from Device Manager for your
hardware.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User